It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The DRM-Free Revolution Continues with Big Pre-Orders and Launch Day Releases!

Good news! GOG.com is going to bring you more fantastic launch day releases, preorders, and other exciting new content from some of our favorite developers. We've lined up 3 big titles that we will be bringing to GOG.com in the next couple of months for sale or preorder that we think will be hits with all of our gamers; and we have more equally exciting games coming up soon.

If you've been a member of the site for a long time, you may recall that when we launched sales of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, we had to add in regional pricing. The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again in order to bring you new titles from fantastic bigger studios. Since we don't accept currencies other than USD on GOG.com right now, we'll be charging the equivalent of the local price in USD for these titles. We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe. We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com. We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!

That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing--two RPGs and a strategy game--and while we can't tell you what they are yet because breaking an NDA has more severe penalties than just getting a noogie, we're confident that you'll be as excited about these games as we are. For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com, just like we did for The Witcher 2.

If you have any questions, hit us up in the comments below and we'll be happy to answer (to the best of our ability).

EDIT: Since we've answered a lot of the common questions already here (and lest you think that we've ignored you), it may be handy for you to check out the forum thread about this and search for staff answers by clicking this link here. (hat tip to user Eli who reminded us that the feature even exists. :)
high rated
I'm a little late and I don't feel like reading through 40 pages. So just my two cents (or euro cents in this case).

You lose a lot of credibility when you abandon your principles.
This is an unfortunate first step. All other "non-negotiable" issues can pretty much become negotiable in a few years time.
Aver: Heh, regional prices strikes again. It seems that they have different prices in EU1 and EU2 regions which is very rare, most of the games have the same prices in those regions. My bad.
NetAndy: What? Why do you have lower prices, you are my neighbour... 45€ and 20€ for me as well :(
It's weird. I don't know why I have lower prices then. I attached a screenshot as a proof that I'm not crazy. :D
Attachments:
1.png (10 Kb)
Post edited February 23, 2014 by Aver
JohnnyDollar: If you highly value your backups, then why would there be a good chance that you would repurchase them? Or did you just state that incorrectly?

Edit: By digital backup you mean the game files are in your account on a server somewhere?
Pheace: I meant digital backups yeah, after a few decades of having mountains of cassette's, 5 1/4, 3 1/2, CD's, DVD's, Zip drives... I lost the desire to bother backing up stuff long ago. I consider the digital backup part of the reason I purchase a digital game. If I lost that, I'd want a replacement (naturally for cheap, on a sale)

This may cost me a little extra in the long run, particularly if I have to replace some or a lot of games, but I figure by the time that need ever arises, those games will be cheap to repurchase anyway, and I get them cheap on sales as it is. In the meantime though, I enjoy the convenience that comes with not having to worry about that stuff at all :)
Well, that's one way to do it. Like you said, if you gotta buy it again then catch it for a cheap price.

Whatever works for you.
high rated
Whoa I just read this and this must be a joke right? Wait it's too early for April. Flat pricing was one of your core values.

DRM free, same price and goodies. First the extra goodies are becoming scarce, now the same price, what's next DRM?
Niggles: Can anyone list the AAA Rpg + Strategy games that might be released over the next few months? (Kickstarter games arent AAA as much as im keen waiting on Wasteland2, Pillars of Eternity, Grim Dawn (lost interest in DOS once i saw they were doing the regional pricing dance..........)
How about Age of Wonders III? AAA?
So, I guess youtube.com/watch?v=nRdfYwvGTos is dead?

Oh well. I'll keep buying classics here but geez, impressive backflipping skills.
Aver: Dragon Commander Imperial Edition: GOG: 45$ Steam: 35€
Divinity 2: Director's Cut: GOG 20$ Steam: 10€
Grargar: Are you sure about those? Steam lists them to me for 45€ and 20€ respectively.
Just checked - those prices are correct for Poland.
Looks like being post-soviet country is good for us in this case :)
Grargar: Are you sure about those? Steam lists them to me for 45€ and 20€ respectively.
Novotnus: Just checked - those prices are correct for Poland.
Looks like being post-soviet country is good for us in this case :)
NetAndy is from post-soviet country too and he doesn't have as good prices as we have :P.
high rated
I must have missed the fine print* when I voted to bring newer games to GOG a while back.
*You hereby agree to regional pricing.

I also believe this will hurt "the DRM-Free Revolution" since some people at least won't have a problem with downloading and plastering your installers all over the internet now that you've lost your credibility.

What is your take on this Mr. Marketing Hat?
Post edited February 23, 2014 by Luc2k
PixelBoy: ...

Of course, DotEmu has regional prices too and I buy games from them too, but with this move GOG will end up being the preferred game store for me.
Funny how I never looked for another store and now I already bought something from DotEmu. :(
(True, it is Sega package but you get the point.)

When you are one of many, why consider it special.
Now I need to see how offers some other of my wishlisted games.
I guess I am better off buying a physical copy of a game. Or directly from the developer. This way I will not have transaction fees for putting euros into dollars. Also I can see back in the old days where something comes out in the US and EU has to pay more due to regional pricing. However I've always thought: Well this extra money was needed in order for them to make translations. (though 99% of the games here we still get in English)

Maybe I should let someone from the US/Canada log into my account and buy the game this way? Though that would be illegal, at least it would be fair. It's a big: Screw you, you were born there so you pay more and there is absolutely no excuse why some have to pay more than others. I thought we were all equals.
Filben: I've heard about Risen 1 and 2 hitting the GOG store. Now that I'm reading this news I'm even more confident :)
GaminggUy45: Yeah i heard that as well maybe we'll even get Risen 3.
It is now official (regarding Risen 1 & 2) since Community Manager Rudolf Inderst confirmed that the German language will be available for the GOG release.

Great for GOG having those game in their portfolio.
Post edited February 23, 2014 by Filben
PC gamers will never be pleased. I sympathize with the people affected by that change (ONLY for certain titles) but I'm with GOG on this one. More and newer games in the best digital game store is only good.
It's not like they'll stop doing sales...
Post edited February 23, 2014 by serestrum
I would say we have to wait and see how this goes. I mean, I would not mind if it was just for the price difference coming from the VAT, but they will need to consider the conversion rate we are charged for a different currency than US$. If it is done the way most others do it, converting the prices 1$=1€, well it certainly is bollocks and a rip-off.

The unified worldwide price was really an outstanding selling point for GOG so far. If they screw it, well ...
GOG needs to consider that with a localised price, I want a localised store (with my currency) and localised content wherever available as well, but I also do not need or want the crippled censored versions we often get to see here in Germany. If they can not deliver this, I might as well buy the games from another local distributor, digital or not, if the prices are the same and DRM-free is available there as well. So far, in many case GOG had the better offer for me, especially considering the price point.

I think we need to blame the publishers for this of course. I can see that their local distribution contracts with brick & mortar retail shops should not get hurt by a globalised price. These retail boxes are an high investment rather than the unlimited availability of digital distributions and their contractual partner shops certainly fear to be cannibalised by cheap digital offers in their country. So as long as there are still huge numbers in physical distributions I think we do not have a chance to see globalised equal prices. The question is if or when this ends and distribution will be digital only, if the publishers will then step back from regional pricing. I somehow doubt it, even though there was then no justification left for it.

Now I hope this pays out and we see some really big titles coming to GOG. Nothing against Larian or Daedalic, but I mean something big AAA from Take2 (e.g. GTA5), EA (e.g. Dragon Age 3) or Ubisoft (e.g. Watch Dogs). Anything less seems to be a meagre trade-off. For example, I am uncertain if it would pay out to get Deep Silver here for the trade-off, the step back from customer friendliness for this publisher.
Post edited February 23, 2014 by Quasebarth
high rated
TheEnigmaticT: snip
I have an important question: did you ensure that patching of those new AAA titles will be good? Frankly, I'm a bit worried that you are just not ready to release new AAA titles because they usually require constant patching and currently you have a lot of problems with delivering patches on time.

I've just encountered a game breaking bug in Omerta. So I've checked the game specific forum. And guess what did I find? That a patch fixing this bug was released more than two months ago. Sadly, not on GOG, I get it, it's not really your fault because the developer simply didn't give you the patch. It doesn't change a fact that this situation is absolutely unacceptable. And I've seen people complaining about patching of other newer titles as well.

Can you be sure that this won't repeat with those new AAA titles? Because if you can't force a publisher/developer to deliver us a patch at the same time as any other store does then in my opinion you are clearly not ready to start selling new AAA titles.