It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The DRM-Free Revolution Continues with Big Pre-Orders and Launch Day Releases!

Good news! GOG.com is going to bring you more fantastic launch day releases, preorders, and other exciting new content from some of our favorite developers. We've lined up 3 big titles that we will be bringing to GOG.com in the next couple of months for sale or preorder that we think will be hits with all of our gamers; and we have more equally exciting games coming up soon.

If you've been a member of the site for a long time, you may recall that when we launched sales of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, we had to add in regional pricing. The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again in order to bring you new titles from fantastic bigger studios. Since we don't accept currencies other than USD on GOG.com right now, we'll be charging the equivalent of the local price in USD for these titles. We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe. We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com. We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!

That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing--two RPGs and a strategy game--and while we can't tell you what they are yet because breaking an NDA has more severe penalties than just getting a noogie, we're confident that you'll be as excited about these games as we are. For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com, just like we did for The Witcher 2.

If you have any questions, hit us up in the comments below and we'll be happy to answer (to the best of our ability).

EDIT: Since we've answered a lot of the common questions already here (and lest you think that we've ignored you), it may be handy for you to check out the forum thread about this and search for staff answers by clicking this link here. (hat tip to user Eli who reminded us that the feature even exists. :)
Cyraxpt: It would be funny, as an experiment, if gog did a price conversion from euros to dollars, let's say that one of those new games is released for 40€ meaning that it would be 55$ for US (or even better, 40£ and 66$), then i would like to see if those people supporting/dismissing this decision would be also be ok with this...
From what I've read so far in this thread, and I've been following it all day yesterday until I had to sleep, my timezone being -6 UTC, most of the Americans and Canadians that have posted about this have been AGAINST regional pricing. So please don't think that we don't share in your pains. I feel solidarity with all the GOG community, regardless of country. I will not purchase these 3 games until prices are homogenized globally and neither will many other North Americans.
high rated
N3xtGeN: THE ORIGINAL POINT OF GoG WAS:
To only sell games according to fair business practices, in hopes of drawing people to their service based on those practices. In hopes that people would come to their service and increase their market share, that way the industry might be slowly changed.
That was the goal so many people were supporting you for... To change the ways of the industry TOGETHER FOR BETTER.
I feel so much disappointed :( I didn't see this comming, its like everything in the industry is going to shit when even the best ones are falling. I guess the game industry really needs another crash.

If you are really going to realize this intention, this will never be forgotten to you by your fans. GoG will never be the same.
Thank you for the post, N3xtGeN. These comments more or less tell what I feel about GOG right now.

So GOG says goodbye to their "fair price policy" and "customer love philosophy", and from now on I guess all gamers on GOG will not be treated equally ("We believe that all gamers should be treated equally", once said GOG in their "fair price policy"!). If I'm not to be treated equally as a customer, why should I care about GOG now?. Isn't GOG's "customer love philosophy" made GOG the GOG that we love! And as far as I remember, you said that 2013 was the best year of GOG yet! So in order to bring more DRM-free games (and to earn more money of course), you can just ignore what made you (and what made you special among other stores)? Does this sound meaningful to you?

Gandos, a fellow GOG member has asked here if there will be a regional lockout because of regional pricing. "Meaning, are we going to start seeing things like games not being available for purchase in certain regions or only being available in censored form?" And TET answered, "... I dunno. We don't currently have any agreements in place where this is going to happen. If it ever comes up in the future where someone can't find the rights for, I dunno, Mauritania or Turkey, yeah. I can see us doing that." Well, I'm from Turkey (I might have been from Mauritania too, or any other place other than the USA) and it is really perfectly all right for you not to let me purchase a particular game from GOG (or whether I buy its censored version)?? It ought not to be a problem whether I'm from Mauritania, Turkey, or Australia. When you throw "equality" to garbage, what do you think it would lead you?

Harvey Milk said: "It takes no compromise to give people their rights...it takes no money to respect the individual. ..."
high rated
Well, there is one positive thing about this - its easy to vote against with wallet ;)

Anyways, its just silly if GOG is trying to go toe-to-toe with Steam and other big platforms. It makes absolutely no sense to compete against them with their rules.

GOG has done very well in the past years with the current usd-for-everyone and DRM free attitude. Now they are willingly (!!!!) giving up on one half. The "current standard" speak is just absolute bollocks. PR-spinning.

....you dont have to be rocketingeer to understand changing working concept for worse is hardly very good move. I really do not give crap, if the newest games do not come to GOG on launch day or even at all. Leave the sucker-developers waiting, there are plenty of other good games to go around, but none good enough to sell ones principles.

Anyways, if GOG wants to compete about new games with steam for example, forcing me to pay in euros is hardly good idea. More likely ill be able to get it cheaper for some other platform.
Accatone: Gandos, a fellow GOG member has asked here if there will be a regional lockout because of regional pricing. "Meaning, are we going to start seeing things like games not being available for purchase in certain regions or only being available in censored form?" And TET answered, "... I dunno. We don't currently have any agreements in place where this is going to happen. If it ever comes up in the future where someone can't find the rights for, I dunno, Mauritania or Turkey, yeah. I can see us doing that." Well, I'm from Turkey (I might have been from Mauritania too, or any other place other than the USA) and it is really perfectly all right for you not to let me purchase a particular game from GOG (or whether I buy its censored version)?? It ought not to be a problem whether I'm from Mauritania, Turkey, or Australia. When you throw "equality" to garbage, what do you think it would lead you?

Harvey Milk said: "It takes no compromise to give people their rights...it takes no money to respect the individual. ..."
Beautifully said yourself, and quote worthy.
Asturaetus: What has the average income of specific regions got to do with anything? Shouldn't a product be priced based on its value?
In China I was making 4500 RMB and unable to spend it all, but that's probably double the pay rate that most Chinese in the same area were being paid. So, if I did an hour of over time, I'd wind up with an extra 100RMB which corresponds to about $18 or nearly 2 games. A typical Chinese worker would be getting maybe half that.

In the US, the minimum wage is such that you're going to be able to buy maybe 1 game for every hour of work. And I know that in some countries, a person would have to work for multiple hours to pay for a game.

The price is just what you pay, how much you have to work to earn that wage depends a great deal on where you are living. $2 would seem like a good deal unless you're earning a couple cents an hour, in which case it would take you weeks of work to buy that game.
whodares2: I be willing to be the two RPGs are Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077. As far as the strategy game goes......I have no idea. Either way it'll be a fun time I'm sure.
Darvond: Why would CD PROJEKT RED need to region price their own games, or even have a NDA? Not to mention as I understood, Cyberunk is still a fair ways away.
...current standard...
Asturaetus: What has the average income of specific regions got to do with anything? Shouldn't a product be priced based on its value?
hedwards: In China I was making 4500 RMB and unable to spend it all, but that's probably double the pay rate that most Chinese in the same area were being paid. So, if I did an hour of over time, I'd wind up with an extra 100RMB which corresponds to about $18 or nearly 2 games. A typical Chinese worker would be getting maybe half that.

In the US, the minimum wage is such that you're going to be able to buy maybe 1 game for every hour of work. And I know that in some countries, a person would have to work for multiple hours to pay for a game.

The price is just what you pay, how much you have to work to earn that wage depends a great deal on where you are living. $2 would seem like a good deal unless you're earning a couple cents an hour, in which case it would take you weeks of work to buy that game.
Doesn't matter at all. That is not the point. You think regional pricing is trying to make it more fair? You're delusional, friend.

Also, over here in Minnesota minimum wage is $5.25/hr, which is less than a game here.
Post edited February 22, 2014 by vulchor
Darvond: Why would CD PROJEKT RED need to region price their own games, or even have a NDA? Not to mention as I understood, Cyberunk is still a fair ways away.
iippo: ...current standard...
Beg pardon?
iippo: ...current standard...
Darvond: Beg pardon?
That was TET's excuse for using regional pricing now is because it's the current standard. The reason The Witcher 2 was regionally priced was because GOG Was going to be sued because of it.
Darvond: Beg pardon?
vulchor: That was TET's excuse for using regional pricing now is because it's the current standard. The reason The Witcher 2 was regionally priced was because GOG Was going to be sued because of it.
[DSFR!] the current standards.
I'm still thinking Jack Keane 3 - the Strategy game will be the first game with regional pricing!
Cyraxpt: It would be funny, as an experiment, if gog did a price conversion from euros to dollars, let's say that one of those new games is released for 40€ meaning that it would be 55$ for US (or even better, 40£ and 66$), then i would like to see if those people supporting/dismissing this decision would be also be ok with this...
vulchor: From what I've read so far in this thread, and I've been following it all day yesterday until I had to sleep, my timezone being -6 UTC, most of the Americans and Canadians that have posted about this have been AGAINST regional pricing. So please don't think that we don't share in your pains. I feel solidarity with all the GOG community, regardless of country. I will not purchase these 3 games until prices are homogenized globally and neither will many other North Americans.
I know and i appreciate the support, but still there are those supporting/dismissing this situation just because it doesn't affect them, i just wanted to see (like i said, an experiment) how would it change their opinions in this matter if they were in the other end of the stick, i don't want it gog or any other company to support this my idea, the same way some of you don't want the whole shenanigans of 1€=1$, it would be one time only to see the reactions of those people.

Like i said previously, i have way too many games and i use gog mostly for old games (and i already have... uhm... 80% of the games that i want from it), this won't affect me much but still it pisses me off how developers and publishers are getting too much greedy and people are ok with it.
Mind you, this is not only gog, if we think about it, in the recent weeks we had publishers forcing region lock on gifts and trades, we had indie bundles adding regional pricing and taxes and we had the humble store also putting regional pricing on their games.

"It does not affect me therefore i don't care", sure, until someday it bites you...
hedwards: In China I was making 4500 RMB and unable to spend it all, but that's probably double the pay rate that most Chinese in the same area were being paid. So, if I did an hour of over time, I'd wind up with an extra 100RMB which corresponds to about $18 or nearly 2 games. A typical Chinese worker would be getting maybe half that.

But what has any of that to do with it? I price a product so that I can offset the cost + a little extra. Why should that vary between different regions?

vulchor: Doesn't matter at all. That is not the point. You think regional pricing is trying to make it more fair? You're delusional, friend.

Also, over here in Minnesota minimum wage is $5.25/hr, which is less than a game here.
Of course it's the point. Regional pricing is inevitable, but it's a shame that what we're likely to get here is the same price gouging that you'd get at other stores.

I'm a bit surprised they haven't gotten a new PR guy because this is just the latest in a series of half arsed announcements without adequate foresight for damage control. People going ape shit over this should have been expected, but I get the feeling it wasn't.
vulchor: Doesn't matter at all. That is not the point. You think regional pricing is trying to make it more fair? You're delusional, friend.

hedwards: Of course it's the point. Regional pricing is inevitable, but it's a shame that what we're likely to get here is the same price gouging that you'd get at other stores.

I'm a bit surprised they haven't gotten a new PR guy because this is just the latest in a series of half arsed announcements without adequate foresight for damage control. People going ape shit over this should have been expected, but I get the feeling it wasn't.
Could be a ploy to keep the boards active...