It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The DRM-Free Revolution Continues with Big Pre-Orders and Launch Day Releases!

Good news! GOG.com is going to bring you more fantastic launch day releases, preorders, and other exciting new content from some of our favorite developers. We've lined up 3 big titles that we will be bringing to GOG.com in the next couple of months for sale or preorder that we think will be hits with all of our gamers; and we have more equally exciting games coming up soon.

If you've been a member of the site for a long time, you may recall that when we launched sales of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, we had to add in regional pricing. The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again in order to bring you new titles from fantastic bigger studios. Since we don't accept currencies other than USD on GOG.com right now, we'll be charging the equivalent of the local price in USD for these titles. We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe. We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com. We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!

That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing--two RPGs and a strategy game--and while we can't tell you what they are yet because breaking an NDA has more severe penalties than just getting a noogie, we're confident that you'll be as excited about these games as we are. For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com, just like we did for The Witcher 2.

If you have any questions, hit us up in the comments below and we'll be happy to answer (to the best of our ability).

EDIT: Since we've answered a lot of the common questions already here (and lest you think that we've ignored you), it may be handy for you to check out the forum thread about this and search for staff answers by clicking this link here. (hat tip to user Eli who reminded us that the feature even exists. :)
high rated
Grogger: I think I'll take a "wait and see" approach.

Though if ever I had to deal with things that some do with 1$=1€, or get insane prices like Australia, I'll download my large list of games and be heading for the hills, DRM or not.
You think 1$ = 1€ is bad? How about 1$ = 2€, then?
http://www.steamprices.com/eu/app/2280/ultimate-doom
http://www.steamprices.com/eu/app/2300/doom-ii
tfishell: As an initial impression I don't like this, but if somehow it meant some killer classics or other titles high on the wishlist could appear, that would be sweet. (I suspect it's mostly just new titles, though.)
Yeah, there's going to be a big change in attitude if this policy is eventually directly responsible for bringing, say, Microsoft or LucasArts to the catalog.
Piranjade: Another one is Age of Wonders 3. :-)
I doubt it. First, it's hard to call this game an AAA title and second - AoW 3 is coming next month and there is already plenty of materials online concerning this game, along with beta tests, so why should it be under NDA?

I would say that Homeworld from Gearbox are more likely here.
Post edited February 21, 2014 by Bambusek
Piranjade: AoW3 is a strategy game, it's an AAA title, and is due to be released soon.
Why wouldn't GOG be able to mention AoW3 if Triumph shows the GOG logo in its webpage and ads?
I'm sure GOG has been missing out on a lot of sales from people who already bought games before they arrived here, so more launch titles is always a good thing. Compromising the "one price" ideal is dangerous because you lose the "We don't make compromises to reach our goals" defence. It might be worth it to get more launch titles though, and it doesn't really affect me personally anyway - unfortunately region pricing tends to mean Australians pay extra, and never means Africans pay less than the US price :(

Do you insist on any kind of strict limit to how long you let yourselves be forced into region-specific pricing?
SCPM: Questions:
Can we still gift these games to gamers from different regions, and will each region still be getting the same versions of these games?
TheEnigmaticT: For releases of launch day stuff, I have no idea. We don't have any plans to change what we're offering in the classic game catalog, however.
In other words, there's a realistic possibility that we will see a repetition of the crap with Australian Witcher 2 version. Great news, indeed.... :(
JamesBond007: Regional pricing should be very easy to bypass - change your country in your profile to the USA, buy the game and change your country back.
Unfortunately not possible. It was beacuse the forementioned lawsuit with Namco Bandai about regional pricing. Since then you can change your location to whatever you want but in the background it actually tracks your location via IP and changing location have no effect on it.
Schnuff: Bad news.
Preorders and Launch Day Releases i don't care cause with every new game bugged like hell i wouldn't do that regardless of the platform.

With its same price for everyone worldwide GOG was very interesting.
Now i see dark clouds on the horizon. Germany was always a high price country so my guess is that they try to milk us more. And once started with this i am sure that *not available for your region* follows.
Ah, well lets wait and see. If it comes to that at last i have enough games to play for a very long time.
You 've forgot the best of all: "Gewaltgeminderte Fassung. Nur in deutscher Sprache verfügbar." :p
No GOG
I dont like it.
Barefoot_Monkey: I'm sure GOG has been missing out on a lot of sales from people who already bought games before they arrived here, so more launch titles is always a good thing. Compromising the "one price" ideal is dangerous because you lose the "We don't make compromises to reach our goals" defence. It might be worth it to get more launch titles though, and it doesn't really affect me personally anyway - unfortunately region pricing tends to mean Australians pay extra, and never means Africans pay less than the US price :(

Do you insist on any kind of strict limit to how long you let yourselves be forced into region-specific pricing?
They've already compromised basically all their other "core" values, so they've already set the precedence and apparently an insufficient number of people cared.

I predict that unless something is done, that there's going to be a secondary market developing in the arbitrage of games between regions.
@The Enigmatic T, Is this announcement regarding regional pricing only for new releases is it for classic releases as well?
high rated
TheEnigmaticT: We honestly don't know what's going to happen with our classic games (who knows what happens when lawyers get involved?)
Apology for the very select quoting, and I hope I'm not reading too much into this out of context. But does this mean that lawyers are involved right now? Is GOG's whole business model under scrutiny and you are being pressured to implement these broad changes in an extended version of what happened during The Witcher 2?

I can understand if you can't comment on this. Speech is to lawyers what sunlight is to vampires.
jforte: Also, for those who are whining about getting some kind of compensation to make up for the price difference, re-read the announcement: "For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com"
ABH20: The free game offer being used as an incentive to promote the pre-orders, not as compensation for people who get shafted by regional pricing.
Eh, yeah, I see your point. Still I think it helps soften the blow, at least for the "limited time".

Don't get me wrong, I think regional pricing is bollocks, but I don't think regional pricing on three games warrants all the doomsday "well, so much for GOG" comments.
megarock58: @The Enigmatic T, Is this announcement regarding regional pricing only for new releases is it for classic releases as well?
He said that right now it's only for new releases. But since GOG has given ground on this, who knows.
ABH20: The free game offer being used as an incentive to promote the pre-orders, not as compensation for people who get shafted by regional pricing.
jforte: Eh, yeah, I see your point. Still I think it helps soften the blow, at least for the "limited time".

Don't get me wrong, I think regional pricing is bollocks, but I don't think regional pricing on three games warrants all the doomsday "well, so much for GOG" comments.
There is some overreaction in the thread, but that's what people do. I think most of the concerns are pretty reasonable. If GOG is changing their business strategy in this, what else might they be changing? It will be good if we get many more games out if it. It could also result in significantly reduced market share and brand confusion. GOG's giving up one of the ways it distinguished itself from Steam and other retailers.
Post edited February 21, 2014 by HGiles
megarock58: @The Enigmatic T, Is this announcement regarding regional pricing only for new releases is it for classic releases as well?
Probably for everything at this point. They have contracts, but those end from time to time and are subject to renegotiation, barring the case where region pricing results in less money, I would expect it to show up more frequently.

It's not like they can claim to have a principled stance on this issue.