It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

When we started our journey 15 years ago, one of our most important goals was to do our best to preserve games and make them last forever. Allowing video games history, once-loved gems, to be lost in time, is something we cannot just stand and watch – we fight, for current and future generations to be able to enjoy games; all games, not just the newest, popular releases. Today, we stand proudly by our mission, and we’re extremely happy to announce the re-release of a cherished classic that, thanks to our efforts, has been successfully archived in the GOG catalog, to enjoy anew.

Alpha Protocol is back – better than ever, with a -10% launch discount until April 3rd, 2 PM UTC!

That’s right, this Alpha Protocol, the Espionage RPG, is making a grand return 14 years after its initial premiere. With conjoined forces of GOG, Obsidian Entertainment and SEGA, we’ve made sure to make it better than ever; compatible with modern PCs, with licensed soundtrack and performance improvements that are sure to make this timeless classic, yet again, your favorite spy story.

But that’s not all we have up our sleeves, of course! For this incredibly special occasion, we’ve prepared a one-of-a-kind documentary video, where the process of bringing back Alpha Protocol is extensively explained – including interviews with its creators, as well as our own team members. You can watch it below!
I'm trying to buy the game, but it doesn't let me... is this game not available in Japan?
JAAHAS: 1. Does it still remain compatible with Windows 7?
DoomSooth: I didn't try it long in 7 but it seems to run fine.
Now it is just a question of whether or not inhuman player reflexes are still needed at later levels to solve some of the minigames in time unless the player commits to max out the corresponding skills first and then avoid leveling up as much as possible...
Now the real question is... When are you guys adding Battle for Middle-Earth 1 and 2?
Good job. As always :)
funnyonion: Should they have waited until it can be released in every country?
Frankly, yes. That was one of the core principles when GOG first launched. They sold worldwide or not at all. They should not have relented in that stance.

Syphon72: Positive this would be more of Sega issue not GOG. Someone few pages back said the game is banned in japan. Not sure if that is true.
That's utter crud. No game is banned in Japan. This, like a few other games published by Japanese publishers, simply was never released in the region.

That's not an excuse for GOG to ram the huge banner celebrating "bringing this game back" in our faces though.
Post edited March 21, 2024 by bansama
Question: does this release include the pre-order bonus DLC? They were the Assault Pack and Stealth Pack, apparently console exclusive? These were included with copies of the game that were bought from Best Buy or GameCrazy.
high rated
Sabin_Stargem: Question: does this release include the pre-order bonus DLC? They were the Assault Pack and Stealth Pack, apparently console exclusive? These were included with copies of the game that were bought from Best Buy or GameCrazy.
This is an excellent question.

Reading through some fan forums, those packs may be most likely activated through editing a certain hex value in the game files. However the community couldn't (or wouldn't) find the correct ones.

As GOG has access to the source code of the game, it should be pretty easy for them to read out the correct hex values and activate them (if the DLCs activation works as people assume).

So please GOG, take a look at this!
Post edited March 21, 2024 by Ueber
How about you guys spend some time on getting your existing titles to work properly - like Red Baron 3D which can be a fabulous game. Despite buying it from you I eventually got it working smoothly 1920x1200 @60 FPS by installing an isobusted version of my old shop bought Windows 98/XP CD and applying 3rd party fixes and using workarounds to get the game to run on Windows 10, which is worth the effort because most other of the too-few WW1 air war sims are either rubbish or unenjoyably tied up in excessive flight-simulator land with janky controls etc...

Another obviously superb and unusual title in an under-served genre crying out for a revamp would be Silent Hunter 3. Or how about the aborted Combat Mission Campaigns which could easily be solved with today's tech. And I could go on, and on...

....But no, you guys just resuscitate yet another agent/ops rpg-shooter, and not even one that actual players gave very high ratings to at the time. Sales did poorly and Sega admitted the game hadn't met expectations and pulled out of doing a sequel. At best it could be called a flawed gem - except what's being revived here is not a remaster to fix the flaws but mainly a rejig for new OSes with a new soundtrack. Game geeks can argue it was an interesting title in terms of Obsidian & genre-development but unless you're totally remastering it's not one worth all that worth playing today because of all the many other titles out there that inhabit the same territory.

Come on guys, show some bloody imagination. Don't you have anyone there over 25?
Post edited March 21, 2024 by streetyson
Ancient-Red-Dragon: I have never heard of Alpha Protocol before I saw it on GOG this morning, so therefore I don't, at this moment, have any feelings about it one way or another.

But that's nice how GOG added Achievements support that was only previously available on consoles (as the store page says), and restored the licensed soundtrack.

But this begs the question of: why are many other GOG games lacking this treatment? Why doesn't GOG put in the same amount of effort into preserving those games properly as it has done to Alpha Protocol?

Legions of GOG games are missing Achievements on GOG even though they have them elsewhere. If GOG will not insist that the devs/publishers give their GOG games full feature parity - which is something that GOG easily could & should do - then why doesn't GOG have their own GOG devs add those missing Achievements themselves? That latter option is the least that GOG could & should do, so can GOG please start doing that?

Also, other games on GOG are heavily butchered due to missing their original music, like Mafia 1, the original edition (not the bad remake, fake "definitive" edition). And that missing music makes for a vastly worse gaming experience for the customers than would playing the original, non-butchered version instead, as it was meant to be played.

Why doesn't GOG care about preserving games like Mafia 1 properly? Why doesn't GOG invest the same amount of time, energy, and money to do that, as they did for Alpha Protocol?
Why for mafia 1. It can be multiple reasons. We already have to find a partnership like this with Sega for 2k. Maybe 2k doesn't want such a partnership. Afterwards you have to pay for the music license which is perhaps even more expensive. Are people ready to pay 20 euros for a game from 2002? Already some are grumbling because they find Alpha Protocol expensive even though the price is still honest (you have to pay well for the licenses renewed by gog).
high rated
Also another stark reminder of better times when the proverbial as well as literal ballsacks of writers and narrative designers weren't put in and often downright crushed by the ESG/DEI vices.

Or can you remember a similar scenario in another (recent) game where one of the possible romantical encounters has the player character getting (considerately) raped by an ex-Stasi Brünhilde-like mercenary?
Not necessarily for shock factor or for the sake of it, but because, in the context of the circumstances, and what happened between both parties leading up to that moment it just made sense for that to happen.
Post edited March 21, 2024 by Swedrami
This is a REALLY GREAT COMEBACK! :D

It was unexpected. GOG still able to surprise. :)
high rated
Swedrami: ...can you remember a similar scenario in another (recent) game where one of the possible romantical encounters has the player character getting (considerately) raped by an ex-Stasi Brünhilde-like mercenary?
So, THAT's what gets you hard, huh?

Also: what is "considerate" rape?
Post edited March 21, 2024 by BreOl72
i already have box and steam version, I should be responsible with my money... :)
I was looking up the game and discovered that Alpha Protocol had 2 Pre-order DLC packs:

Exclusive Assault Pack (Gamestop Exclusive)
Stealth Weapons Pack (Best Buy Exclusive)

These were console exclusive and, from what I have read, never made it to PC, just wondering if these were recovered and added to this version as well.

Just started playing so I'll probably find out eventually but figured I should ask.
Wow! I had concluded this would never happen.

Thank you, GOG, for all the work to bring this game back, and congratulations!