It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

vidsgame: This really helps. +1. It took me an hour just to get the hang of the command line interface of DosBox and finding the right file to run the game only to see the game running so slow that it was unplayable. This should make experimenting with configuration files more easier from what I could tell from the homepage. This fails, then I could go back to command line or I could try games nebula. Thank you for the help. I'm new to Mint and DosBox so getting things running under the hood is a bit over my head.
DBGL has existing configurations for lots of games and changing simulated CPU cycles etc... is quite intuitive and easy with that interface.
I also recommend it to Windows users, it's great.

For playing Tyrian 2000, I just used innoextract on GOG's installer, did put the game's folder into DBGL's virtual drive and it was set up quite fast, even with a custom shortcut that starts the game directly in DosBox on my desktop.

It's the way to go for all DOS games on GOG that don't have a Linux package, because of publishers like EA being idiots.
Post edited April 11, 2018 by Klumpen0815
vidsgame: This really helps. +1. It took me an hour just to get the hang of the command line interface of DosBox and finding the right file to run the game only to see the game running so slow that it was unplayable. This should make experimenting with configuration files more easier from what I could tell from the homepage. This fails, then I could go back to command line or I could try games nebula. Thank you for the help. I'm new to Mint and DosBox so getting things running under the hood is a bit over my head.
Klumpen0815: DBGL has existing configurations for lots of games and changing simulated CPU cycles etc... is quite intuitive and easy with that interface.
I also recommend it to Windows users, it's great.

For playing Tyrian 2000, I just used innoextract on GOG's installer, did put the game's folder into DBGL's virtual drive and it was set up quite fast, even with a custom shortcut that starts the game directly in DosBox on my desktop.

It's the way to go for all DOS games on GOG that don't have a Linux package, because of publishers like EA being idiots.
That sounds great. I'm downloading it now. I'll definitely try that for System Shock Classic.

I have yet to try that game but Carmageddon was the casual game I messed around with on my Ipod Touch when I was waiting around or on the bus so I'm glad to have it run on my laptop for the plane and for trips in general.

No surprise there. I wish Carmageddon worked out of the box with Linux but I definitely understand that nearly all of the games on GOG are at the mercy of the publishers. However, I'm extremely glad I could get it drm-free and even better that it runs fine on Linux.
Klumpen0815: For playing Tyrian 2000, I just used innoextract on GOG's installer, did put the game's folder into DBGL's virtual drive and it was set up quite fast, even with a custom shortcut that starts the game directly in DosBox on my desktop.
wasn't there an open source linux port of this game released at some point ?
immi101: wasn't there an open source linux port of this game released at some point ?
https://bitbucket.org/opentyrian/opentyrian/wiki/Home
TheCoinGuy: .....P.S. I can remember seeing somewhere that you had some type of tutorial on Linux mint? If so...a link would be appreciated. I might switch to mint, everywhere I read people are using it with great success when it comes to gaming.
Engerek01: adamhm introduced me to Linux mint 2 years ago. After testing it on Virtual Box (VB) for a year and getting used to it, I permanently started using it since Jan 2017. Now, I carry the torch and convert people to the light. I do not know how many people thanked me for helping them install Linux mint from age 13 to 70. Adam is right. Getting used to Mint is as easy as getting used to a new windows version (God I still can't figure out Windows 10 even tho I am a MS professional :) ).

And yes. From my personal experience, Old games work much better in Linux.
Thank you for your comments. I've been around Windows since 3 or 3.1 if I remember correctly. I even took several classes in linux back in the early 90's...but it's been so long I can't remember anything. With the advent of Windows 10, I started looking for alternatives...and here I am. I just bought the 1st computer I didn't build for myself in the last 25 years....an Intel NUC...and I love this little thing(runs DEAD silent). The NUC was part of my plan to move to linux and purchase a smaller simpler computer that better coincides with my minimalistic lifestyle...I landed on Ubuntu first...when the new version of Mint comes out...I plan on switching. Until then, I'm learning as quickly as possible.

I also wanted to mention that I've installed several wrappers now, and with Witcher, Oblivion, and System Shock 2....I've not run into a single issue. I'll also repeat (for the 3rd time now.). I think Oblivion looks beautiful in Linux and I can't stop playing it! I apologize for my giddiness, but I am actually quite excited about playing this title.

Now...with all of that said...I ran into a problem installing Risen. When I start the game, the little graphic picture in the middle of the screen pops up as usual...then it goes full screen and BLACK. The music continues to play, it doesn't seem like the game is frozen, but it stays with a black screen.

This seems to be a very common problem in Windows. I can remember this happening when I first played it awhile back(I also have a steam copy), the black screen stayed for a minute or two..then the game started just fine. That hasn't been the case here. If anyone knows a workaround, please speak up. I tried three things. 1) letting it sit for 15 minutes, nothing happened. 2) set the game to start in a window...didn't work. and 3) verified all settings in the .ini are properly set up. Everything else that I read about the Risen Black Screen Issue...had to do with Windows. Reinstall PhysX, verify integrity of the files, compatibility verification etc...

In closing...I've read adamhm's tutorial on Linux mint and the POL tutorial. Both are very easy to understand for a beginner and I would definitely recommend them to someone who is new to linux. As far as gaming goes...with my skill level...I think I'll be sticking to wrappers for awhile and playing around with POL...Wine other the hand intimidates me so I'll be treading careful in those waters.

Adam are there any wrappers you're currently working on? I've adjusted my wishlist a bit to more reflect the wrappers you've already made(especially the STALKER and FALLOUT series). I'm not sure if you take suggestions, or have the time for it...but TRON 2.0 looks to be a good candidate based on the fact you've already made wrappers for the FEAR series.

Like you haven't already done enough? Smile.

Best,

TCG
Post edited April 12, 2018 by TheCoinGuy
System Shock 2 was updated with a new installer which uses the new packaging method, which means that for now the System Shock 2 wrapper does not work with the latest installer - if you need it you should contact support and ask for the old installer.

TheCoinGuy: Now...with all of that said...I ran into a problem installing Risen. When I start the game, the little graphic picture in the middle of the screen pops up as usual...then it goes full screen and BLACK. The music continues to play, it doesn't seem like the game is frozen, but it stays with a black screen.
Unfortunately from my tests so far it looks like Risen doesn't get along with Intel graphics :( When I tested it on my system with Intel graphics I found that it crashes on startup unless a virtual desktop is used, but then you have limited camera/mouse movement ingame... and the usual tricks to correct that issue didn't work for it on that system.

TheCoinGuy: Adam are there any wrappers you're currently working on? I've adjusted my wishlist a bit to more reflect the wrappers you've already made(especially the STALKER and FALLOUT series). I'm not sure if you take suggestions, or have the time for it...but TRON 2.0 looks to be a good candidate based on the fact you've already made wrappers for the FEAR series.
I have lots planned, and about a dozen or so at various stages of completion :)
getthat: And what's wrong with Lands of Lore 2? Works fine for me.
I don't remember the details, but I coudn't run it under DosBox. I've tried different options, but it didn't worked or there was no sound or sth. Don't remember, but finally installed the game from Windows GOG installer using Wine.
New InnoSetup installers format is here to stay

immi101: (…)
immi101, are you considering sending a pull request to dscharrer so your updates get included in mainstream innoextract?
I've updated the Freedom Force and System Shock 2 wrappers for the new installers.

For now I'm using immi101's customised version of innoextract to unpack them... hopefully mainline innoextract will support them soon.
Post edited April 12, 2018 by adamhm
immi101: (…)
vv221: immi101, are you considering sending a pull request to dscharrer so your updates get included in mainstream innoextract?
yes, that's the idea.
as I said there are still a few loose ends to tie up before that:
- handle the embedded dependencies (scummvm, DOSBOX, etc) instead of spamming error messages
- possibility to list the available languages

just haven't found the time yet (weather was too good last weekend :))
Post edited April 16, 2018 by wally1989
wally1989: (…)
Keep in mind that immi101 is not the main developper of innoextract, your requests might be included sooner if you post them here: https://github.com/dscharrer/innoextract/issues
high rated
A wrapper is now available for Mafia II. Thanks to mcphail for donating the key for this game :)

Consider this a beta release for now; note that shadows are currently broken and don't render properly. Depending on your GPU and drivers they may not work at all, or they might partially work resulting in a slightly distracting mess that shifts about as the camera moves (this was the case with my RX480 - see attached screenshot). The sky sometimes flickers too.

Also, if the game has a habit of crashing then try disabling PhysX as this was reported to fix it according to some reports at WineHQ's AppDB. I have not experienced any crashes myself but so far I've only played with PhysX disabled, and only up to chapter 3.

I'll keep checking with newer versions of Wine and will update the wrapper to use a newer version when things improve.
Attachments:
adamhm: A wrapper is now available for Mafia II. Thanks to mcphail for donating the key for this game :)

Consider this a beta release for now; note that shadows are currently broken and don't render properly. Depending on your GPU and drivers they may not work at all, or they might partially work resulting in a slightly distracting mess that shifts about as the camera moves (this was the case with my RX480 - see attached screenshot). The sky sometimes flickers too.

Also, if the game has a habit of crashing then try disabling PhysX as this was reported to fix it according to some reports at WineHQ's AppDB. I have not experienced any crashes myself but so far I've only played with PhysX disabled, and only up to chapter 3.

I'll keep checking with newer versions of Wine and will update the wrapper to use a newer version when things improve.
You're a gentleman, sir!
A wrapper is now available for Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD

Note that at present there are rendering issues with this game on AMD & Intel GPUs (see screenshots). Aside from that it is still playable though, and from my testing so far it appears to work perfectly on systems with Nvidia GPUs using the closed drivers (AMD's closed drivers were not tested).
Attachments: