It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Klumpen0815: Will all the old posts be destroyed just like what happened to the PMs?
JMich: Hopefully not. We did say that there is a trove of knowledge in quite a few of the older threads and that they should be preserved, which may complicate the migration a bit.
Why not just archive this forum as read-only and start a fresh one. Why attempt migration?
ZFR: Why not just archive this forum as read-only and start a fresh one. Why attempt migration?
So you will need 2 forums software running, one for the read only part and one for the new one. Assume the read-only will need fewer resources, so you move it to a different server and keep the current forum server for the new software.
Isn't that migration?
p1881: 6)+7) Apparently GOG knows that the current forum software sucks - but I'm getting told by our Glorious 6 that a proper one would take such a long time that it can't be specified. And knowing that the software sucks GOG wanted feedback on how to improve moderation. Doesn't that sound irrational? You know the software is junk but instead of making it your highest priority you rather tweak moderation.
No it doesn't. The mere fact that they are acknowledging the problem doesn't mean that they should prioritize it above "GOG po polsku" or something else store-related.
ZFR: Why not just archive this forum as read-only and start a fresh one. Why attempt migration?
JMich: So you will need 2 forums software running, one for the read only part and one for the new one. Assume the read-only will need fewer resources, so you move it to a different server and keep the current forum server for the new software.
Isn't that migration?
Why does it have to necessarily be a new server? But even if, I still wouldn't call it migration.
ZFR: Why does it have to necessarily be a new server? But even if, I still wouldn't call it migration.
Not sure how well two different forum software would play on the same server. Possible that there won't be any issues of course, but also possible that there would be.
Either way, no worries, I do think that moving from one forum software to another is migration, even if no posts are moved.
ZFR: Why does it have to necessarily be a new server? But even if, I still wouldn't call it migration.
JMich: Not sure how well two different forum software would play on the same server. Possible that there won't be any issues of course, but also possible that there would be.
Either way, no worries, I do think that moving from one forum software to another is migration, even if no posts are moved.
They would have to merge/ connect/ move over/ etc. the user database at the very least.
its extremely hard to merge forums , for example take the steam spuf older forum and the current junk we have got .
None of the good conent from the old forums was ported over to the new. When SPUF shutdown it was gone for good.
JMich: Not sure how well two different forum software would play on the same server. Possible that there won't be any issues of course, but also possible that there would be.
drmike: They would have to merge/ connect/ move over/ etc. the user database at the very least.
The users are not specifically forum users, but GOG users. And any new forum will most certainly be better integrated with the current authentication and user backend - unlike the current forum which have had a fuckload of patches and layers of duct tape and fixes to make the legacy frontend work with the more recent backend of the rest of the site, parts of which have been upgraded, rebuilt and/or replaced multiple times.

That is, a new forum software will most likely just be hooked up to use the current user database, not migrate them to a new and forum-specific one.
Maighstir: That is, a new forum software will most likely just be hooked up to use the current user database, not migrate them to a new and forum-specific one.
That's why I put the word "connect" in there. :)
Maighstir: That is, a new forum software will most likely just be hooked up to use the current user database, not migrate them to a new and forum-specific one.
drmike: That's why I put the word "connect" in there. :)
Please consider my post an attempt to clear up any possible confusion from future readers, then :-)
drmike: That's why I put the word "connect" in there. :)
Maighstir: Please consider my post an attempt to clear up any possible confusion from future readers, then :-)
To be honest, it really depends on the software and (to be honest) the client's wishes. Importing and merging and screwing around with forums are something we do a couple times a week. Running a separate user database where a website, a forum and whatever else is something we look at a lot. We try to hook it in to one of the softwares but that's not always an option. Dealing with licensing is another issue because some software are rather restrictive and having another software hooking into the first's software is a big nono.

Each instance is different.
Maighstir: Please consider my post an attempt to clear up any possible confusion from future readers, then :-)
drmike: To be honest, it really depends on the software and (to be honest) the client's wishes. Importing and merging and screwing around with forums are something we do a couple times a week. Running a separate user database where a website, a forum and whatever else is something we look at a lot. We try to hook it in to one of the softwares but that's not always an option. Dealing with licensing is another issue because some software are rather restrictive and having another software hooking into the first's software is a big nono.

Each instance is different.
Tell you what, I'll wager you a $9.99-or-less GOG on that the new forum will be built in-house rather than from an external source.
Post edited October 30, 2017 by Maighstir
high rated
GOG, what the bloody hell do you think you're doing?!

I just noticed the return of the recently discovered (and subsequently removed) 'Consent to marketing communication' option in the 'STORE NOTIFICATIONS' section.

Now, since I was subscribed to 'Releases and Announcements' you had been so kind as to tick the new box for me. Needless to say, I immediately removed the ticks from both of those boxes and headed back to the forum. However, a few seconds later I returned to get a screenshot and the result (as evidenced by the attachment) speaks for itself!

I'm completely speechless... have you guys learned absolutely nothing from prior experience?!
How can you consider it acceptable behaviour to force customers who are interested (and, apparently, even those who aren't) in receiving store notifications to hand over their personal data for marketing purposes?!

I've just returned to the page once more and thankfully this time the box had not been ticked automatically. I'm sure it won't stay that way for long.
Attachments:
consent.jpg (31 Kb)
Post edited October 30, 2017 by Lemon_Curry
Lemon_Curry: GOG, what the bloody hell do you're think you're doing?!

I just noticed the return of the recently discovered (and subsequently removed) 'Consent to marketing communication' option in the 'STORE NOTIFICATIONS' section.

Now, since I was subscribed to 'Releases and Announcements' you had been so kind as to tick the new box for me. Needless to say, I immediately removed the tick marks from both of those boxes and headed back to the forum. However, a few seconds later I returned to get a screenshot and the result (as evidenced by the attachment) speaks for itself!

I'm completely speechless... have you guys learned absolutely nothing from prior experience?!
How can you consider it acceptable behaviour to force customers who are interested (and, apparently, even those who aren't) in receiving store notifications to hand over their personal data for marketing purposes?!

I've just returned to the page once more and thankfully this time the box had not been ticked automatically. I'm sure it won't stay that way for long.
Yes, the same thing happens to me too when I remove the tick. It magically comes back. This is not acceptable at all.
Thankfully, you can remove it in the end. Thanks for the notice.
Post edited October 30, 2017 by Accatone
Lemon_Curry: [..]
When dealing with Gog, consider everything a bug first, before crying foul.
If you deselect "Consent to marketing communication" and then click on another menu entry, the choice will remain.

(I'm not saying that they're always "innocent", however)
Post edited October 30, 2017 by phaolo