It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Morddraig: NVIDIA divided the memory into two pools, a 3.5GB pool which maps to seven of the DRAMs and a 0.5GB pool which maps to the eighth DRAM.
mistermumbles: Now we just have to find people who actually play at such ludicrous resolution, and are willing to pay through the nose to upgrade for it. 4k is essentially just a stupid tech buzzword right now, and nothing more. Remember how 3D TVs were this big new thing? Yeah, well, that died pretty quickly. Why bring up TVs? Because it's those same manufacturers that try to cram all this 4k gobbledy-gook down our throats right now. I expect 4K to share a similar fate... for the near future anyway.
Yes, you right :)
A_Future_Pilot: snip
Elmofongo: I like to ask that question.

I am in the market for a GTX 980.

I have a 1080p monitor mind you if you want to know my resolution.
Are you saying that you like asking people what resolution they have? Or are you asking me something? And if so, what are you asking me? lol
anomaly: snip
Thanks for marking my answer! :) I'm glad it helped!
Post edited March 18, 2015 by A_Future_Pilot
Elmofongo: I like to ask that question.

I am in the market for a GTX 980.

I have a 1080p monitor mind you if you want to know my resolution.
A_Future_Pilot: Are you saying that you like asking people what resolution they have? Or are you asking me something? And if so, what are you asking me? lol
anomaly: snip
A_Future_Pilot: Thanks for marking my answer! :) I'm glad it helped!
I am just asking can one GTX 980 run a 1080p game at 60 FPS?
Elmofongo: I am just asking can one GTX 980 run a 1080p game at 60 FPS?
Yes, very well! You can run basically any game with settings maxed out at 1080p.

Although if you're gaming at 1080p, honestly the 980 is a bit overkill...save yourself a couple hundred dollars and get the 970. It can also run any game maxed out at 1080p, but is lots cheaper! (I'm actually building a buddy's computer using a 970 specifically for 1080p gaming).
A_Future_Pilot: Yes, very well! You can run basically any game with settings maxed out at 1080p.

Although if you're gaming at 1080p, honestly the 980 is a bit overkill...save yourself a couple hundred dollars and get the 970. It can also run any game maxed out at 1080p, but is lots cheaper! (I'm actually building a buddy's computer using a 970 specifically for 1080p gaming).
Question Supplemental then:

Considering that I have kind of set the money aside that could buy a 980, but will only really be playing at 1080p for the foreseeable future, is the 970 itself future proofed enough? I'm kind of designing a 5 year build here if possible, which was why I was going for a fairly beasty GPU setup in the first place.

In Switzerland I was looking at sourcing from Digitec (if there are any Swiss people reading!) and looking at the 650 SFr point for buying.
A_Future_Pilot: Yes, very well! You can run basically any game with settings maxed out at 1080p.

So its overkill because its more pricy?

Or having a 980 could blow up my computer?

I've been considering getting the 970 myself. I have heard a lot about the 3,5 GB controversy, but 3,5 gigs should be plenty enough, as my screen is 1680x1050 :P

Is there a big difference between the different brands? In the store I'm using, the Asus-model cost less than MSI and EVGAs versions of the card.
Elmofongo: So its overkill because its more pricy?

Or having a 980 could blow up my computer?
980 is overkill for 1920x1080 / single screen gaming, the 970 performs just as good at that resolution. Won't blow your PC but might leave a hole in your wallet ;)

Random_Coffee: Is there a big difference between the different brands? In the store I'm using, the Asus-model cost less than MSI and EVGAs versions of the card.
Besides aesthetics, one brand may offer a faster core clock than the other. For example: Brands like Gigabyte, Asus, EVGA and MSI offer factory overclocked ones. Gainward and Inno3D offer reference (stock) clocked speeds, these are typically cheaper, cooling may also not be as optimal as the others, such cards can be bought even 30e cheaper than the popular ones.
Post edited March 18, 2015 by Ganni1987
Overkill as in it is more power and cost than needed. It won't harm anything, but it would be kind of a waste.

Here are some benchmarks (scroll through the next couple of pages): http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-980-970-maxwell,3941-8.html

That's a reference 970, which means with the slight overclocking that comes standard on MSI, ASUS, Gigabyte, or EVGA cards, the performance will be slightly better.

As you can see, the minimum FPS in all games is right around 60, with average being a good bit higher than that.

As for future proofing...I'd suggest getting a motherboard that supports SLI, and if your budget allows, a 750W power supply (at least get the motherboard...the PSU can be gotten later). The extra $200 you save by getting the 970 instead of the 980 should be enough for at least one, if not both of those. Then if ever a game comes out that you wish had better performance at 1080p OR if you decide to get a higher resolution monitor at some point, you can just put in a second 970 and be all set! (Two 970's in SLI will do most games at high to ultra settings at 4k: http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_970_sli_review,21.html )

Random_Coffee: Is there a big difference between the different brands? In the store I'm using, the Asus-model cost less than MSI and EVGAs versions of the card.
There's not that big of a difference. Slightly different clock speeds, and different coolers, but they're all good. I personally am going with the MSI as it seems all around the best, but go with whatever's cheaper cause there really isn't much difference :)
micktiegs_8: I'd go the green team card. 1 card is so much less heartache than 2 and it seems to be well equipped for future operating systems. Blah, blah, blah.

wasn't there a big huff about the gtx 970 having memory crashes because it only uses something like 3.5GB instead of the advertised 4GB of VRAM?
Morddraig: see it :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb8WQ7atNkY
hah! Fantastic.

Unless you want to play Witcher 3.
The most we have seen from witcher 3 on a GTX 980 @ 1080p, is around 30fps & that wasn't on ultra settings.
295x2, of course

olnorton: Unless you want to play Witcher 3.
The most we have seen from witcher 3 on a GTX 980 @ 1080p, is around 30fps & that wasn't on ultra settings.
30 fps? you sure?
I want create a new build PC, my wife want play Witcher 3. I have 1080p Monitor with 120 hertz. Where you see that information about 30 fps?
Ganni1987: Besides aesthetics, one brand may offer a faster core clock than the other. For example: Brands like Gigabyte, Asus, EVGA and MSI offer factory overclocked ones. Gainward and Inno3D offer reference (stock) clocked speeds, these are typically cheaper, cooling may also not be as optimal as the others, such cards can be bought even 30e cheaper than the popular ones.
Alright, I think I'll be going for the Asus GTX 970 Black Edition. I didn't find very much info on it, but it seems to have the same stats as the 970 Strix, which I found a lot of reviews about.

Now I just gotta do some advanced calculations to find out if the card fits in my case, and if it's gonna cover even more SATA-ports than my current card does.. :P

And also, is a 500W power supply enough?
Random_Coffee: And also, is a 500W power supply enough?
The official nvidia page states 500W minimum, you should be fine. What Brand/Model you have?