It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Brace yourself for a long marathon of fun with a solid bunch of games from IDEA FACTORY making a debut on GOG.COM:

DATE A LIVE: Rio Reincarnation (-65%)
Death end re;Quest (-70%)
Death end re;Quest 2 (-60%)
Dragon Star Varnir (-70%)
Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force (-60%)
Hakuoki: Kyoto Winds (-35%)
Hakuoki: Edo Blossoms (-35%)
Moero Chronicles (-50%)
Hyperdimension Neptunia U: Action Unleashed (-55%)
Neptunia Virtual Stars (-60%)
Super Neptunia RPG (-70%)

You can also buy DLCs on GOG.COM for some of the mentioned above titles. Hurry up and make a purchase before the discounts on games from IDEA FACTORY expire on 19th November 2021, at 2 PM UTC.
Ancient-Red-Dragon: I think there is a logistical error that is currently causing the GOG store page for "Death end re;Quest 2" not to list the "DLC Bundle" edition as an option to purchase, like other games in this sale have, and which it seems that "Death end re;Quest 2" is also supposed to have, but doesn't.
Did you mean that the edition that includes the DLC was unavailable at the time you posted it? In that case, it is there again.
Or did you mean that there is no separate "DLC Bundle"?

GOG lists the same editions/bundles you can find on Steam. For Death end re;Quest 2 that is the "Standard Edition" (the game) and the Complete Deluxe Edition (game + DLC + goodies), well, GOG does NOT have the Series Bundle. A "DLC Bundle" like there is for other Idea Factory games does not exist.
Aww, still no Hyperdevotion Noir...

Only game I actually bought all that DLC for on Steam, and I'd do it again on GOG.

All the goofiness of a Neptunia game, but with a nice SRPG underneath it all.
low rated
GrizzledLone: Or did you mean that there is no separate "DLC Bundle"?

GOG lists the same editions/bundles you can find on Steam. For Death end re;Quest 2 that is the "Standard Edition" (the game) and the Complete Deluxe Edition (game + DLC + goodies), well, GOG does NOT have the Series Bundle. A "DLC Bundle" like there is for other Idea Factory games does not exist.
Thanks for the info.

Yes, I meant that there is no separate DLC bundle.

I thought there should be one, especially since the "Complete Deluxe Edition" lists "DLC Bundle" as one of its featured items, even though there apparently is no "DLC Bundle" item for that particular games, even though there is one for other games by the same dev.

But I guess your quoted post there is correct, and there isn't supposed to be one after all.
Post edited November 15, 2021 by Ancient-Red-Dragon
I've been watching some reviews of all the IF games avAilable on GOG. My quick summary:

DATE A LIVE: Rio Reincarnation (-65%) (3VN BUNDLE according to review)

Death end re;Quest (-70%) (TB-action+VN)

Death end re;Quest 2 (-60%) (TB-action+VN)

Dragon Star Varnir (-70%) RPG? (TB-action+VN)

Fairy Fencer F: Advent Dark Force (-60%)B (RPG? TB-action+VN)

Hakuoki: Kyoto Winds (-35%) (VN)

Hakuoki: Edo Blossoms (-35%) (VN)

Moero Chronicles (-50%) (blobber, dating sim, VN, rub em)

Hyperdimension Neptunia U: Action Unleashed (-55%) (3D action game)

Neptunia Virtual Stars (-60%)

Super Neptunia RPG (-70%) (platform, TB RPG+VN)

Old ones?
Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1 (RPG? TB-action+VN)

Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth2: Sisters Generation (RPG? TB-action+VN)

Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth3 V Generation (RPG? TB-action+VN)

Megadimension Neptunia VIIR (4th game RPG? TB-action+VN)

Amnesia Memories (visual novel)

Agarest Generations of War (tactical)

Agarest Generations of War Zero (tactical)

Agarest Generations of War 2 (tactical)

Mary Skelter: Nightmares (blobber of sorts 1 of 3 in a series)

That's my guess on these games. Primarily, they are VN. Seems GOG is still missing quite a few IF/compile heart titles. Mary Skelter is one I'm looking at along with the side Neptunia games.
GrizzledLone: Or did you mean that there is no separate "DLC Bundle"?

Ancient-Red-Dragon: Thanks for the info.

Yes, I meant that there is no separate DLC bundle.
[...]
But I guess your quoted post there is correct, and there isn't supposed to be one after all.
I stand corrected, there is indeed a DLC Bundle... on the PlayStation Store. Still very confusing and now I'm lost as to why there is no "DLC Bundle" for the PC version.
Keighn: That's my guess on these games. Primarily, they are VN.
Um, no, most of the games you marked as VN are not visual novels. They are not even what most people would label as visual novel/RPG hybrid games. Just because cutscenes are presented in the same way as a VN normally is (i.e., full-screen character images with dialog displayed below) does not make it a VN. Would you consider Baldur's Gate to be a VN if they presented the conversations in this style? Baldur's Gate has much more gameplay (e.g. decision making) within the conversations than these games do, actually.

Similarly, I'm not sure where you're getting "action" from on many of these games. Granted, there are minor action elements (e.g movement outside of combat is real-time, and advantage in encounters can be affected by how exactly you collide with the enemy), but I don't think most people would call the entire game an action game because of this. There are no major action elements, though: no platforming, no QTEs, etc.
low rated
darktjm: Um, no, most of the games you marked as VN are not visual novels. They are not even what most people would label as visual novel/RPG hybrid games. Just because cutscenes are presented in the same way as a VN normally is (i.e., full-screen character images with dialog displayed below) does not make it a VN. Would you consider Baldur's Gate to be a VN if they presented the conversations in this style? Baldur's Gate has much more gameplay (e.g. decision making) within the conversations than these games do, actually.

Similarly, I'm not sure where you're getting "action" from on many of these games. Granted, there are minor action elements (e.g movement outside of combat is real-time, and advantage in encounters can be affected by how exactly you collide with the enemy), but I don't think most people would call the entire game an action game because of this. There are no major action elements, though: no platforming, no QTEs, etc.
I'm going to defend the VN conclusion on the grounds that the cutscenes are really, really long.
kohlrak: I'm going to defend the VN conclusion on the grounds that the cutscenes are really, really long.
Obscenely long (and often nonsensical) cutscenes seem to be a hallmark of JRPGs. Are they all VNs? I've never heard Xenosaga being referred to as a VN, and it is notorious for excessive cutscenes. As are the later Final Fantasy games. I've only ever heard one person referring to them as VNs. Well, now, two, I guess.
I'll say they don't fit the generic genre but fill a rather combined unique niche. I guess VN is oversimplifying as some of these games have other elements. BG a VN? Well... i can't use aggressive terminology on this site so I'll say my opinion on some games could be:
Story connoisseur
Combat connoisseur (divided into: blobber, tactical tb, tactical rts (or rtswp), metroidvania, zelda classical style)
Management connoisseur (dungeon, city, world, universe, god)
Maybe more complicated.

If text is long with little to no input and I'm watching the npcs blather back and forth then imho.... VN or at least VN-like.

Anyway, I had a question about Date A Live: Rio Reincarnation. I read one review saying it was three games in one. I'm not sure if he meant three routes or sonething or that since this is a trilogy it includes Date A Live: Rinne Utopia & Date A Live: Ars Install. Can someone clarify?
low rated
kohlrak: I'm going to defend the VN conclusion on the grounds that the cutscenes are really, really long.
darktjm: Obscenely long (and often nonsensical) cutscenes seem to be a hallmark of JRPGs. Are they all VNs? I've never heard Xenosaga being referred to as a VN, and it is notorious for excessive cutscenes. As are the later Final Fantasy games. I've only ever heard one person referring to them as VNs. Well, now, two, I guess.
The the gameplay to cutscene ratio between the later FF games compared to the neptunia games are no where near similar. And, in particular, are of a different quality: one is almost exclusively pure dialog, the other includes acting and animations. I'm not familiar with xenosaga, given it's not available on a platform i support. However i like Neptunia and FF both, and am familiar with the titles, I wouldn't exactly compare Noctis' conversation with Titan to be similar in any way to Neptune and Compa, aside from god vs mortal and it being dialog.
low rated
Keighn: Mary Skelter: Nightmares (blobber of sorts 1 of 3 in a series)
I wouldn't call Mary Skelter a "blobber." Rather, it's a story-heavy JRPG Dungeon Crawler with heavy VN elements.

darktjm: Um, no, most of the games you marked as VN are not visual novels.
I think it's accurate to call some of the games primarily, or mostly, or largely VN, although I wouldn't go so far as to say they are entirely VN, since they have gameplay too.

I've played Mary Skelter before, and last night I played the first couple of chapters of Dragon Star Varnir.

Both of those games have tons of dialogue scenes that are presented in exactly the same way as a VN would present them.

And they also have the exact same "navigation system" menu for your home base as VNs have too.

Like the saying goes, "if it quacks like a duck, then it's a duck."

But they can't be called just VNs, because VNs have no gameplay in addition to their VN elements, whereas these games are combination of VN elements plus gameplay elements too.
Post edited November 15, 2021 by Ancient-Red-Dragon
kohlrak: The the gameplay to cutscene ratio between the later FF games compared to the neptunia games are no where near similar.
You're right. The FF games (and Xenosaga) have a much higher cutscene to actual gameplay ratio (well, given that you imply the opposite, I guess I mean you're wrong). You can't get 20 characters to level 999 by watching cutscenes. You can also ignore/fast forward through the cutscenes in Neptunia games, which isn't usually true of FF and similar games. I feel like you're just complaining about the format of the cutscenes.

Anyway, forget it. I won't argue the point any more. Call it what you want, since it doesn't affect me in the least. i just hope gog doesn't follow suit. They did actually correct Mary Skelter Nightmares, it seems, so there is hope yet. Then again, gog's tags are mostly worthless (with such oxymoron gems as "Metroidvania Roguelike"), anyway, so I guess gog can call them what it wants as well.
Keighn: Seems GOG is still missing quite a few IF/compile heart titles. Mary Skelter is one I'm looking at along with the side Neptunia games.
I'm still waiting for Omega Quintet.

*edit*

Also Dark Rose Valkyrie (Aka. Black Rose Valkyrie).
Post edited November 15, 2021 by Jigsy1
Is the Neptunia RPG uncensored like the Switch version or is it the PS version?
Ancient-Red-Dragon: But they can't be called just VNs, because VNs have no gameplay in addition to their VN elements
Baldr Sky is considered one of the best visual novels, and it has gameplay. Little Busters, VA-11 HALL-A, Corpse Party, Tokyo Necro, all of them. There are heaps of visual novels that are considered as such, but also have gameplay.

Something being a visual novel isn't an on/off status. It's a sliding scale, from:
1. kinetic VN (no gameplay/choices/stats)
2. branching VN (choices)
3. dating sims (choices, stats)
4. VN hybrids (even-ish split of reading:gameplay... see Idea Factory games, the titles I mentioned above)
5. games with lots of reading (may or may not have VN-like format with sprites... see Trails series)
6. games (minimal/no reading)

I've seen everything in categories 1-4 called a VN, as well as some people arguing that games in category 5 should be counted too.