It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hi all,

I'm currently attempting to make my way through The Glow but I appear to be falling victim to a curious glitch. As soon as I get as far as the fourth floor, my .223 pistol inexplicably transforms into a geiger counter. Doesn't matter if it's equipped, in my inventory or in storage, it seems to happen every time and I have no idea why. Is there any known way to prevent this? I don't have any mods installed.

Thank you.
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
Hmm, I made it through the Glow without that happening. Ian had it equipped at the time, try giving it to a companion and see if that helps.
Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately, it still becomes a geiger counter even when held by Ian. Interestingly, he would not accept the pistol in barter, stating that my offer was not good enough, I had to give him the pistol via steal.
Put in on the ground on the 3rd floor and get it back when you return.
Yeah, that doesn't work either, it still changes regardless of where I leave it.
This isn't really going to help... but I have never heard of this glitch before.
A scour of the NMA and a google search shows no other occurances of this reported, the closest known bug is

"In v1.0 there was a bug with the Stealth Boy, where if you saved the game while using it the Stealth Boy could turn into a Geiger Counter, leaving you in permanent stealth mode. This was fixed simply by getting another Stealth Boy and turning it on and off."

But as it says, this is in Version 1.0

Are you sure you're playing a fresh install?
Yes, I'm playing it fresh from the install and with no modifications of any sort made.
Just wondering... is there some kind of cheat program that Musashi1596 could use to "gift" himself another .223 pistol after it gets transformed? Seems like that could be an OK workaround. He'd get a free geiger counter out of the deal is all.
There's nothing very important down there, you only need the holodisk from the first floor to get Brotherhood membership.
But for the loss of a valuable and powerful pistol, though, it's definitely worth looting the 5th and 6th floors in my experience.
Besides, the West Tek Research base is cool. Really cool.
The .223 pistol is the best weapon your party members can use. The stuff you find on the lower levels is useful and valuable, but you'll find better stuff later. Before bothering about the pistol check your radiation, if you didn't take 2 Rad-X for 100 percent radiation resistance you're doomed anyway.
Post edited March 22, 2011 by kmonster
I was sure to take Rad-X; I only took one at first, but when I noticed my rad levels hit about 200 I took another.

It doesn't look like I have many options though, maybe it's best if I just explore it and then reload the save. I have no need of valuable loot, I have more than enough of that already, so if there aren't any unique items down there I probably won't be missing anything. My main concern was storing the information from the computer on level 4.
In an unpatched game, your party members are also very, very mortal and won't be around as long as you might want them. Some of the weapons in the bottom will serve Big Guns characters until game's end, or Energy Weapons characters as well.
Honestly, if I were you, I'd mess with the save file when you get out to restore the pistol. It seems like an easy enough solution to me, and would seem to cover your needs.
MackieStingray: Honestly, if I were you, I'd mess with the save file when you get out to restore the pistol. It seems like an easy enough solution to me, and would seem to cover your needs.
This is what I was suggesting... is there a good save editor to use for that?
My Google-fu is crap, so it means nothing that I didn't fine much that recommended itself. (I'd be a terrible librarian.)
However, there is apparently the option of futzing about with map files between saves. Anybody remember the procedure for that? I've never heard of a better application.