It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

This solution fixed great lag and cursor flickering of BG1 under Windows 10 x64. I gathered it might be useful enough to warrant its own topic. I've upgraded my PC to Windows 10 a week ago, and was in the middle of a BG1 playthrough which worked fine on Windows 7.

Because I knew Windows Vista, 7 and 8.x requried DirectX 9 to be installed for anything requiring Direct X 9 or lower, I just assumed the same would be true for Windows 10, and installed the June 2010 Redist which I also used on Windows 7. (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109)

To make sure nothing changed in the installation of BG, I renamed the "Baldur's Gate" folder to "BG OLD", re-installed Baldur's Gate from GOG (to get all the icons and registry settings correct), wiped the newly installed directory, and renamed my old one back to "Baldur's Gate".

The game started, but lagged greatly, with a flickering cursor.

Under Windows 7, I either used DDRAWFIX using ForceDirectDrawEmulation (GOG.com defaults to installing it using the WINE libraries, which does not always work, depending on the drivers and settings of the video card), or I used the ForceDirectDrawEmulation from the Windows Application Compatibility toolkit. Using one or the other always completely fixed Baldur's Gate for me.

Here's the cracker: I *UNINSTALLED* DDRAWFIX, and all problems went away. So, it seems:

- Install the DirectX 9 redistributable (maybe this isn't even necessary)
- Remove DDRAWFIX (this fixed my lag and cursor flicker)
- Don't use ANY compatibility settings; not in Windows, no software blitting or anything in BG itself. Just select 32-bit color.

Now I have NO compatibility fixes installed or selected anywhere, and the game runs perfectly.

edit: to remove ddrawfix, do the following:
- Go to your BG1 installation folder.
- Right-click setup-ddrawfix.exe, and select "Run as administrator"
- In the black screen that comes up, choose to remove DDRAWFIX.
Post edited August 10, 2015 by Katsunami
Icewind Dale 1: Tested this in the same way as Baldur's Gate above.

- Installed the DirectX 9 June 2010 runtime (obviously already done because of BG)
- Renamed "Icewind Dale" to "Icewind Dale Old"
- Reinstalled using "Icewind Dale" in the same location, wiped the folder, and renamed the old one back.

In this game, the cursor and gameplay was also laggy. Removing DDRAWFIX fixed it.

It looks like DDRAWFIX is not necessary anymore for Windows 10, at least not for BG1 and IWD1. I wonder how PS:T will behave; it was the worst of the bunch, needing a raft of settings in the application compatibility toolkit.

Also, make sure that all compatibility settings for the executables are disabled (IDMain, BGMain, BG2Main, etc), and that your windows user has full control over the folder in which the games are installed. Install them in C:\Games or something, not in C:\Program Files or C:\Program Files (x86).
Thanks for the useful information!

:)

So, it seems that the color compatibility issues have been resolved in Windows 10, not necessarily because of Internet Explorer (as in Windows 7).
Katsunami: GOG.com defaults to installing it using the WINE libraries
Again, no it doesn't:

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
~DDRAWFIX/DDRAWFIX.TP2~ #0 #0 // DDrawFix -> Force DirectDraw Emulation: v1.0
Katsunami: GOG.com defaults to installing it using the WINE libraries
Hickory: Again, no it doesn't:

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
~DDRAWFIX/DDRAWFIX.TP2~ #0 #0 // DDrawFix -> Force DirectDraw Emulation: v1.0
To be honest, I would appreciate it if you'd stop barging around the forums like some sort of know-it-all snob.

*MY* version of GOG's BG that I installed last year installed DDRAWFIX using the Wine libraries as default. I specifically made an annotation in the readme.txt file I keep for each older game, to replace DDRAWFIX with the newer version I already had, and install it using direct draw emulation because the Wine libraries caused problems.

I don't know what Baldur's Gate installs right now, because I didn't check. I did redownload all of my installers a few weeks ago just to make sure they are up to date.

The only thing I now know for sure is that Baldur's Gate 1 and Icewind Dale 1 don't need to have any compatibility fixes installed, nor do they need any compatibility settings checked in their properties, on Windows 10, using the latest drivers for the nVidia GTX 560 Ti. These two games run perfectly fine as soon as DDRAWFIX is uninstalled.
low rated
Katsunami: To be honest, I would appreciate it if you'd stop barging around the forums like some sort of know-it-all snob.
Aw, another poor soul who's feelings have been hurt. Request denied.
Katsunami: To be honest, I would appreciate it if you'd stop barging around the forums like some sort of know-it-all snob.
Hickory: Aw, another poor soul who's feelings have been hurt. Request denied.
Well, at least it looks like you're acknowledging you are a snob. Slight progress I guess.
low rated
Hickory: Aw, another poor soul who's feelings have been hurt. Request denied.
crumb24: Well, at least it looks like you're acknowledging you are a snob. Slight progress I guess.
Failed again. You don't grasp things very well, do you?
This fix works nicely on BG II, thanks