It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
GOG, why don’t you notify game buyers that these games are a complete failure?
I'm talking about games created in 1998, 20 years ago, and they have the original resolution, at best, 1024 by 768?
... I just installed the Baldur's Gate Original Saga. My display has a diagonal of 32 inches, and the resolution is 2560 by 1440. The game is in terrible quality! In fact, the resolution is 640x480, and it is stretched to a 32 inch display. Do you understand that this is a complete failure?
I just downloaded the installation file, then I installed the game on Windows 10. And I tell you, this is a nightmare.

I just took a screenshot of the game screen, and here is the result. Its size is 640 by 480. This is the resolution in which the game is currently running on my monitor.

No need to try to crush me with intelligence or apply sarcasm, save me from a bunch of trolls. Just write, evenly and clearly, and not just for me. How to solve this problem? Does this problem have a solution?
Attachments:
Post edited November 05, 2019 by wild_monk
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
Are you running the Classic Edition or the Enhanced Edition? From what URL did you download the installer?
advowson: Are you running the Classic Edition or the Enhanced Edition? From what URL did you download the installer?
He already said "I'm talking about games created in 1998, 20 years ago" and that he installed the ORIGINAL SAGA. Just one glance at his screenshot and you can tell it's the original BG, not EE.

That said, yes the game is supposed to look like that. That screnshot looks fine to me; that is the game I've been playing and modding for about10 years now. I thought there was stretching or whatever, but if there isn't, then, well, you either get past the stone age graphics and lack of QoL, or you don't. Or, you can try the EE.
wild_monk: ...and the resolution is 2560 by 1440. The game is in terrible quality! In fact, the resolution is 640x480, and it is stretched to a 32 inch display. Do you understand that this is a complete failure?
GPU drivers - scale/maintain aspect ratio.
This is how the original saga looks like. I don't understand what you mean by "warn" because the original saga is no longer sold on its own but a bonus game beside EEs. So you either bought EEs recently so you have no right to complain about to quality of the bonus game OR you had bought the game years ago when Originals were sold alone in which case the screenshots were pretty clear on the game pages how the game looked like. Either way, GOG does/did its part.

If you are asking about "fixing" there is no fixing since this is not a problem. However, there are some very nice mods that enhance the quality of the originals like wide-screen mods, Trilogy mods and a lot more you can find on internet or mod sides. There is even a guide currently as a sticky topic.
This is how it supposed to look, but you can use widescreen mod if you want - https://www.gibberlings3.net/mods/tools/widescreen/
You can set whatever resolution that you want, but keep in mind that the characters will be tiny on the screen and certain screens (like the inventory) can't be changed.
For better experience I would apply TWM GUI that makes some screens look better: moved to the centre of the screen and applied backgound. This is working only with certain resolutions though - https://www.gamepressure.com/download.asp?ID=42655
low rated
Tuthrick:
I'm talking about Windows 10 OS, plus a FullHD display and higher.
I bought 5 games from the Dungeons and Dragons series. These are Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2, and Planescape: Torment.
I speaking now about them.

This is not written on the pages where GOG is selling this games. This games has not been updated to a modern level.
You will have problems in managing characters, the graphics are primitive (I'm talking about NWN 2, the characters’s faces were cut down with an ax),
the picture has an original resolution of 1024 by 768, and if it is stretched to a large display, it will be a failure. ( in a BG1, BG2, P:T ).

... In other words, it’s not a product of 2019. The developers of these games - forgot about them.
Let us do the same. Forget about them until these games become relevant to today's reality.
Post edited November 07, 2019 by wild_monk
No, these are not products of 2019, because they were not made in 2019. To give you a proper perspective:
- GOG has to get permission from people/companies owning the rights to the title to release it in their shop.
- GOG crew are the ones (in most cases) adjusting the older games to run on modern systems. If they don't get any help from the IP owners, this can be a very difficult thing to pull off. Add to that the fact that they need to make sure that the game runs after modern OS updates.
- *Run* is they key word here, GOG does not make re-makes, re-masters, HD versions etc. They can release those, if such exist, but they can't make those without source codes, original assets and most importantly without IP owner's permission, even if they would want to.
- GOG is more about preserving old titles, rather than re-making them. Planescape: Torment made in 3D and full voice-over is no longer the same game. So, game made in 1999 will look like the game from that time. There is the release date shown on the title's main page and there are screenshots/vidoes showing how the game looks.

Keep in mind that the original developers of those titles may very well not work in the industry anymore, or have moved to other projects during thier career. Black Isle may exist, but it's just a husk of its former self. Do you seriously expect a game company to keep re-making their each title for each new OS and bigger resolutions? Then they wouldn't have time to develop any new titles then. This is not an easy task, especially considering such expectations.

Moreover titles from 2019 will also get old and won't look as amazing as they do now. I prefer older titles and for that reason I have only 1366x768 monitor and windows 7 and have no problems running titles from GOG.

I don't know how else I can help you, I've given you links for mods that can change the original resolution, but nothing will change the fact that in 1998 they didn't have 5k monitors and unless someone remakes those titles, they will look like they are.
Aren't you that whiny guy who complained about D&D games "not running" on modern systems because they're not made in 2019? Oh right, you are that guy. You must be related to tx3000 since both of you like to whine about these games not to your "standards."

You talk about lame graphics for a game that's released in 1998? Get the hell outta here and go back to playing the latest Call of Duty instead. Don't expect any help with that attitude of yours.
As others have mentioned, you're installing a 20 year old game which has ceased active support for probably at least half that time. If you really can't stand the original resolution that these games were designed for, you can either try the widescreen mod that Tuthrick linked you to, or buy the Enhanced Editions, which are the original games that have received an overhaul so they support widescreen resolutions and will install on more modern systems with a minimal of fuss.
I'm not even sure how you got hold of The Original Saga. Aren't they only selling the EE nowadays? If so, the Enhanced Edition is the one you need to run. That one works with your monitor.

Though I find it hard to believe you've spent 7 years on a site called Good Old Games and are unaware that they sell old games, or what installing old games actually entails.