It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

×
avatar
ThreePi: I think I might have gotten it to work for me. I had to do the following:

1. Install the Unofficial patch.
2. Install the hi-res patch.
3. Rename/remove the ddraw,dll in the Arcanum directory.
4. Run it in Windowed mode using the option -window.

Absolutely unplayable in full screen mode, but works just fine in windowed mode. Very odd.
avatar
chakaron: WORKS PERFECT FOR ME! THANK YOU!
I just did 1,3, & 4 and it works much better. Thanks. (Note that I only use the -window option, not the "-no3d -doublebuffer" which does not seem to work in combination with -window.)
avatar
ThreePi: I think I might have gotten it to work for me. I had to do the following:

1. Install the Unofficial patch.
2. Install the hi-res patch.
3. Rename/remove the ddraw,dll in the Arcanum directory.
4. Run it in Windowed mode using the option -window.

Absolutely unplayable in full screen mode, but works just fine in windowed mode. Very odd.
This works to make the game run at a proper speed, but now I have to deal with this business:

http://i.imgur.com/cQIQr0w.jpg

I refuse to play ANY game in windowed mode. Even if I was somehow able to fix it so I can actually see the whole screen, will I still have to deal with that stupid window frame on the sides?
Solution with WinD3D libs and -no3d switch works perfectly for me. Search for it in this forum.
avatar
Gorbuz: Solution with WinD3D libs and -no3d switch works perfectly for me. Search for it in this forum.
Edit: You shouldn't need to use -no3d unless your system is using integrated graphics, or is crashing unexpectedly due to a driver incompatibility.
Post edited December 23, 2013 by devilhood
avatar
Gorbuz: Solution with WinD3D libs and -no3d switch works perfectly for me. Search for it in this forum.
avatar
devilhood: You shouldn't need to use -no3d or -doublebuffer if you're using the WinD3D DirectDraw fix. I didn't, and it works perfectly with no slowdowns.
WineD3D wraps all D3D calls to OpenGL so it depends completely on your video drivers (actually, ICD). In my case without '-no3d' flag it crashes in Intel OpenGL driver module igdogl32.dll, while -no3d mode works perfectly.
avatar
devilhood: You shouldn't need to use -no3d or -doublebuffer if you're using the WinD3D DirectDraw fix. I didn't, and it works perfectly with no slowdowns.
avatar
Gorbuz: WineD3D wraps all D3D calls to OpenGL so it depends completely on your video drivers (actually, ICD). In my case without '-no3d' flag it crashes in Intel OpenGL driver module igdogl32.dll, while -no3d mode works perfectly.
Very true! It is good that you explained your crash and isolated the problematic driver module; I tend to forget about the woes of integrated graphics. The -no3d flag wasn't needed on my AMD or Nvidia powered laptop.
Post edited December 23, 2013 by devilhood
After downloading several versions of WineD3D and having them not work with Arcanum, I finally got that fix to work by copying the WineD3D files from my GOG Icewind Dale II installation.
Hey,

I have installed the patches, put the game in window mode, added & replaced .dlls and done all the things suggested - but it still didn't work perfectly. I have fixed this by simply selecting graphics card for Arcanum from my Nvidia to integrated Intel's. (since it is quite weaker) Obviously this solution could only work with machines that have 2 graphic cards as my Asus laptop for example.
So, I just fixed my Windows 8 lag problems and wanted to share. Changing the target had no positive affect on my game, so I had to go the ddraw replacement route.

What I did was downloaded the ddwrapper zip file, backed up my ddraw.dll file (just in case), which is located in the same directory as the Arcanum executable. Then, I extracted the contents of the ddwrapper into that same directory, overrode the existing ddraw.dll file, and then I modified the aqrit.cfg file from the ddwrapper zip file by changing ForceDirectDrawEmulation to either 1 or 2.

This was the only way I got the mod to consistently run over 18 fps. The downside to this approach on my system is that the game will (very) occasionally flash to my desktop for a single frame. I recommend changing your background to something dark and closing any applications other than Arcanum, and I HIGHLY recommend that people with epilepsy do not try this method. Like, I'm serious.