It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The Aliens Versus Predator Classic 2000 uses the Galaxy multiplayer library. Please read the points below before posting any feedback regarding the multiplayer game experience. Thank you!

1. Always start (or restart) the Launcher before playing the game. Let the update process finish (wait until status text changes to UP TO DATE), before clicking the PLAY button.

2. If you encounter any problem that you consider connected with the multiplayer, please go to http://mantis.gog.com/set_project.php?project_id=14&ref=bug_report_page.php, log in with your GOG.com account as usual and create an issue for us there please. Add a detailed description, and if possible, a method of reproducing it.
Post edited October 20, 2014 by Venom
I waited a bit to see if the game got an update of some sorts, upon launching the Aliens vs. Predator Galaxy client, it updated the client and game.

That said, decided to hop on a co-op server for a bit before I go and do things for today.

I noticed a big improvement on ping. rather than being 500-1.5k, it stayed at 120-250 for the few players playing. The only thing is I still can't see my ping. I want to know if the original didn't allow players to see their own ping. I never had the original, and years ago I only played Aliens vs. Predator 2, which is a different game anyway (actually that alone sparked my interest in AvP Classic 2000).

Gameplay, played nice and smoothly for me. No "delays" in defeating aliens, and worked as it should.

Ping could be lower, considering other games I've played can get pings as low as 35-50, still I don't know how far GOG Galaxy servers are from me. Still, much better improvement from last time I played this game.
tailsy64: I noticed a big improvement on ping. rather than being 500-1.5k, it stayed at 120-250 for the few players playing. The only thing is I still can't see my ping. I want to know if the original didn't allow players to see their own ping. I never had the original, and years ago I only played Aliens vs. Predator 2, which is a different game anyway (actually that alone sparked my interest in AvP Classic 2000).

Gameplay, played nice and smoothly for me. No "delays" in defeating aliens, and worked as it should.

Ping could be lower, considering other games I've played can get pings as low as 35-50, still I don't know how far GOG Galaxy servers are from me. Still, much better improvement from last time I played this game.
I think the pings in the player list are the ping times from you to the other players, that's why there's no ping for yourself as it always would be zero. As far as I understand it there is no central game server, one of the players hosts the game and the game events are sent directly from each player to every other player. Unfortunately you can't even see which player is hosting the game, as this ping is more essential than the others, especially for COOP games.

It would be nice to get some background information about the multiplayer structure from GOG.

Anybody who has played this on Steam or the old Gold version knows how the multiplayer mode is managed there?
Post edited October 26, 2014 by eiii
Other then updated modding tools, I would definitely suggest dedicated servers. I've played some games over the weekend and though most were pretty good, with some I've experienced "lag" issues because a guy with a slow connection suddenly got the host, if you know what I mean.

Secondly, I can do with an updated "join multplayer game" screen, which displays the location of the server and the mapname currently played instead of name, gamemode, number of players . . .
eiii: I think the pings in the player list are the ping times from you to the other players, that's why there's no ping for yourself as it always would be zero. As far as I understand it there is no central game server, one of the players hosts the game and the game events are sent directly from each player to every other player. Unfortunately you can't even see which player is hosting the game, as this ping is more essential than the others, especially for COOP games.

It would be nice to get some background information about the multiplayer structure from GOG.

Anybody who has played this on Steam or the old Gold version knows how the multiplayer mode is managed there?
Maybe, usually I find if I host a game in say Red Faction or Half-Life 2 Deathmatch for example (using those as I hosted listen servers with play with others before), my ping would be 0-5, and whoever joins will have higher ping based on location. If I join someone's listen server or even a dedicated server, it would show higher ping for me. At least that's usually the case. I don't know exactly how the setup for AvP 2000 is.

I've played the Steam version with a friend, and it's the same thing as what you're playing on GOG Galaxy. Only difference is friends can join via invite on Steam. Maybe friends will be able to join friends easily given the video on the GOG Galaxy site does mention friends, but I think that would come later on.

I'd try it, but I uninstalled the Steam version while testing this beta out.
Post edited October 26, 2014 by tailsy64
Another wish for multiplayer: Please allow chat while you are dead. It seems to be disabled, at least the keys for public and team chat have no effect now.
I get a "Failed to initialize" message when I try to play multiplayer. It's not a firewall problem, it does it even if the firewall is disabled.

Running Windows 8 64 bit.
AvP is not really my type of game but as a test I thought I should at least try It and respond.
From the Gog Downloader to actually playing multiplayer was about 15 minutes including the update.
No issues once the game said it was ready , setup a breeze, this game even setup my joystick which was nice as I had a special profile installed .frame rate was excellent , no lag issues on my 150 mb broadband connection .
Obviously a real test will come when we are tested by a very graphic intensive game and a lot more players in the one game.
The first test of a GOG Galaxy game has been very successful for me.
Maybe a driving game like Flatout or a Flight or Space Sim such as Descent or IL2 could be good ones to test next.
Until next time
Ta muchly
I regret to report total failure here. Tapping the Start Screen shortcut Aliens vs Predator Classic 2000 - Galaxy Client produces no apparent reaction. I can see the process running (C:\users\me\Temp\GalaxyUpdater.exe /clientPath=C:\Program Files\GalaxyClient\GalaxyClient.exe /command=launch /gameId=1207665883 /installationPath=C:\Program Files\GalaxyClient /path=C:\GOG Games\AvP Classic /waitForPreviousInstance), but nothing appears. Network activity shows repeated attempts, without an answer, to resolve galaxy-log.gog.com. and cfg.gog.com.. From the perspective of the naive user, it looks like the process failed since no window ever appears. I started writing this forum post and left the GalaxyClient running in the background. After ~14 minutes, I was interrupted by a dialog which reads:

Galaxy Updater failed

Galaxy Updater encountered an error and could not continue: Updater could not download update metadata.

Dismissing the dialog works, and I once again see no windows related to GOG. I see more network lookups for the two domains mentioned above, and it looks like the updater client restarted itself with all the same options, under a new PID. After several more minutes, I got a window labeled "GOG Launcher 0.1.0.456" and an option to start the game through the launcher. The status text says OFFLINE, so I do not expect multiplayer to work. Indeed, it does not: "Failed to initialize." is shown when I choose multiplayer in the menu.

Failing to get anything out of the GalaxyClient, I decided to explore single player. That did not go well, largely due to a complete lack of documentation. I never knew of this game before the GOG beta, so everything I know comes from the forums and from blind experiments in game. I saw no manual or other documents listed in the game library, so I installed the game blind, hoping that a PDF would be among the game assets set down by the installer. No such luck. I then hoped that the single player campaign would include a tutorial phase to walk me through operating the game. Again, no such luck. Finally, I give up looking for guidance and set off for blind experiments.

First run: play the Alien campaign. I spent ~5 minutes unable to find a way out of the starting area, got frustrated, quit, and started browsing the forum. By chance, a forum post mentioned that the alien can climb walls, but only if you keep it crouched while doing so.
Second run: Alien campaign, now with the ability to climb walls (by default: hold down left-control). Climbing the walls does not seem to help, so I still have no idea where I'm going or what I'm doing, so back to the forum. Someone mentions a grating in the ceiling, so back to the game to start exploring the ceilings. I found a tunnel that led me to a new room with a waterfall. Upon touching the waterfall, I was instantly kicked to a defeat screen. That sucked, because I don't even understand why I was defeated.
Third run: Alien campaign, made it back to the waterfall room after lots of blind casting about. A map would be really handy about now, even if only an in-game map showing where I have been. I disabled the alien night vision and now the waterfall is more of an orange color. At this point, I suspect it killed me the first time because it's actually lava, not water. I resume exploring and somehow managed to drop myself back into the starting chambers, at which point I got frustrated with the lack of a map and quit. I never even found a chance to engage in combat.
Fourth run: Skirmish mode. Alien is not available here, so I use a Predator since forum posts say they are overpowered and I want to explore without getting instantly killed. I played around with the Predator vision options a bit, toggled the cloak a few times, then set out. The vision options put some nice color filters on the scene, but I do not know which of them I should use or what they do. I promptly fell down a shaft and was attacked by a computer-controlled Alien. I tried to fight back, but seemed not to be attacking. The alien seemed to attack me, but I cannot tell if it was doing any damage because I have no idea what the glyphs on the screen are trying to tell me.

I see forum posts from users who got everything working and had a great time with it. My experience is that, if you do not have fond memories of how the game works, trying to learn it as part of the beta will only lead to frustration.
advowson: I regret to report total failure here. Tapping the Start Screen shortcut Aliens vs Predator Classic 2000 - Galaxy Client produces no apparent reaction. I can see the process running (C:\users\me\Temp\GalaxyUpdater.exe /clientPath=C:\Program Files\GalaxyClient\GalaxyClient.exe /command=launch /gameId=1207665883 /installationPath=C:\Program Files\GalaxyClient /path=C:\GOG Games\AvP Classic /waitForPreviousInstance), but nothing appears. Network activity shows repeated attempts, without an answer, to resolve galaxy-log.gog.com. and cfg.gog.com.. From the perspective of the naive user, it looks like the process failed since no window ever appears. I started writing this forum post and left the GalaxyClient running in the background. After ~14 minutes, I was interrupted by a dialog which reads:

Galaxy Updater failed

Galaxy Updater encountered an error and could not continue: Updater could not download update metadata.

Dismissing the dialog works, and I once again see no windows related to GOG. I see more network lookups for the two domains mentioned above, and it looks like the updater client restarted itself with all the same options, under a new PID. After several more minutes, I got a window labeled "GOG Launcher 0.1.0.456" and an option to start the game through the launcher. The status text says OFFLINE, so I do not expect multiplayer to work. Indeed, it does not: "Failed to initialize." is shown when I choose multiplayer in the menu.

Failing to get anything out of the GalaxyClient, I decided to explore single player. That did not go well, largely due to a complete lack of documentation. I never knew of this game before the GOG beta, so everything I know comes from the forums and from blind experiments in game. I saw no manual or other documents listed in the game library, so I installed the game blind, hoping that a PDF would be among the game assets set down by the installer. No such luck. I then hoped that the single player campaign would include a tutorial phase to walk me through operating the game. Again, no such luck. Finally, I give up looking for guidance and set off for blind experiments.

First run: play the Alien campaign. I spent ~5 minutes unable to find a way out of the starting area, got frustrated, quit, and started browsing the forum. By chance, a forum post mentioned that the alien can climb walls, but only if you keep it crouched while doing so.
Second run: Alien campaign, now with the ability to climb walls (by default: hold down left-control). Climbing the walls does not seem to help, so I still have no idea where I'm going or what I'm doing, so back to the forum. Someone mentions a grating in the ceiling, so back to the game to start exploring the ceilings. I found a tunnel that led me to a new room with a waterfall. Upon touching the waterfall, I was instantly kicked to a defeat screen. That sucked, because I don't even understand why I was defeated.
Third run: Alien campaign, made it back to the waterfall room after lots of blind casting about. A map would be really handy about now, even if only an in-game map showing where I have been. I disabled the alien night vision and now the waterfall is more of an orange color. At this point, I suspect it killed me the first time because it's actually lava, not water. I resume exploring and somehow managed to drop myself back into the starting chambers, at which point I got frustrated with the lack of a map and quit. I never even found a chance to engage in combat.
Fourth run: Skirmish mode. Alien is not available here, so I use a Predator since forum posts say they are overpowered and I want to explore without getting instantly killed. I played around with the Predator vision options a bit, toggled the cloak a few times, then set out. The vision options put some nice color filters on the scene, but I do not know which of them I should use or what they do. I promptly fell down a shaft and was attacked by a computer-controlled Alien. I tried to fight back, but seemed not to be attacking. The alien seemed to attack me, but I cannot tell if it was doing any damage because I have no idea what the glyphs on the screen are trying to tell me.

I see forum posts from users who got everything working and had a great time with it. My experience is that, if you do not have fond memories of how the game works, trying to learn it as part of the beta will only lead to frustration.
You must love the alien. Funny play through though. Sounds like an AVGN rant. When using pred. I recommend using red vision against alien and it's best for locking on with shoulder cannon or disc. Green locks on to other preds and blue for marines.
Post edited October 27, 2014 by classicduke
If someone likes the game they will play it long enough to become proficient, but liking the game is kinda neccesary. This is a 15 year old game and it holds up remarkably well but that doesnt mean it wont be frustrating or rough on completely new players. I personaly love the speed and brutality of both MP and SP, despite survival/horror/FPS being my least favorite genres.

Regarding match host. I could be wrong but i think the first name in the list is host. I only say that because i was allways 1st name when i hosted. ^^ I have no idea how the new host is picked once the original host leaves and haven't thought of checking if my nick moved to top when notified that my PC is now host.
If I were to add something I would definitely include dedicated servers, as there are often few servers to begin with and I sometimes have trouble connecting to them.

Altogether the game itself in multiplayer was fine, just needs so more people dedicated to keeping up servers and willing to play.
Maybe i was lucky. Hosted matches filled up very quickly. Even if you dont really know what type of match you want, DM/SDM will probably be ok. And you can allways leave and start another, different match.
No problems to report here. Everything is working perfectly. This game brings back so many positive memories.
classicduke: You must love the alien. Funny play through though. Sounds like an AVGN rant. When using pred. I recommend using red vision against alien and it's best for locking on with shoulder cannon or disc. Green locks on to other preds and blue for marines.
I don't understand you. I have no experience with any of the classes. I only picked alien because it seemed simplest to pick up: move to melee range and strike. No special weapon types to try. What is AVGN and why would their rant sound like my recounting of a novice's attempt to play a game with no documentation? For the predator, the information about the colors is useful, if it is accurate. What is your source for this?
I've been noticing the pings with AvP through Galaxy have been quite high. This is especially noticeable with the COOP mode fighting the alien swarms. I usually see the pings in AvP hover around 300 ms, but when I play other online games it's usually well below 100 ms.