It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I've noticed that when playing single player, you will use your profile name. But when joining a multiplayer game, your GOG username is used. Is there any way to change your username in an online game?
This question / problem has been solved by Venomimage
shadowbaneaxe: I've noticed that when playing single player, you will use your profile name. But when joining a multiplayer game, your GOG username is used. Is there any way to change your username in an online game?
For multiplayer games you always use your GOG username.
shadowbaneaxe: I've noticed that when playing single player, you will use your profile name. But when joining a multiplayer game, your GOG username is used. Is there any way to change your username in an online game?
Venom: For multiplayer games you always use your GOG username.
I was wondering the same.
Is there a specific reason for this? I guess you find your friends easier this way and it hopefully prevents some people from teamkilling at every possible opportunity but anything besides the obvious? Just curious, not complaining...
Post edited October 20, 2014 by sepe6666
Venom: For multiplayer games you always use your GOG username.
sepe6666: I was wondering the same.
Is there a specific reason for this? I guess you find your friends easier this way and it hopefully prevents some people being from teamkilling at every possible opportunity but anything besides the obvious? Just curious, not complaining...
Let me ask you differently - is there any specific reason against this? We all create account (our GOG identity) and use them in the reviews, forums so that entire community can see it... what would be the reason for these people not to recognise you in multiplayer?

I think it would be a horribly bad experience to start a multiplayer session to play with your friends, just to realise that you have no bloody clue if you are playing with them or somebody else...
Post edited October 20, 2014 by d2t
high rated
To be fair not everyone created their username with the purpose of it being a multiplayer handle or one they would share with the world, just an account name they would remember. I know I would feel a little uncomfortable if my account name was Firstnamelastname or the first part of my email address and was forced to broadcast it.

Another aspect is that forming groups/clans becomes a bit harder when you can't put clan tags in front of your name, so can definitely see the plus of a changeable online handle.
high rated
If you're going to make a digital platform it is imperative that users have full customization of their online personas. As such, a (game) user should be able at all times to change his username, either to something new he likes or to add a clan tag. Besides that, people tend to use different names in games than on forums, so many of your old clients might feel less eager to use the platform.

The most easy example to give is your main competitor, Steam, who has uses login via e-mail (as you do) and lets users modify their "nickname" as they please.

Please strongly consider adding an "edit nickname" feature in your digital distribution platform.

Also, the "dedicated servers for old games" idea was spot on.
Extrac: To be fair not everyone created their username with the purpose of it being a multiplayer handle or one they would share with the world, just an account name they would remember. I know I would feel a little uncomfortable if my account name was Firstnamelastname or the first part of my email address and was forced to broadcast it.

Another aspect is that forming groups/clans becomes a bit harder when you can't put clan tags in front of your name, so can definitely see the plus of a changeable online handle.
I agree 100% with this post. I find it very strange that you can't change your online handle.
Well, I have never intended my login name to be my forum name (but back then I never intended to post in the forums) and I never thought I will have to use it as my nickname in multiplayer. I was bit lucky that I have not chosen FirstnameLastname login, and I am quite happy with my name, but I certainly see the need of some people to change their name in multiplayer game.

It is great if people are identifiable, anonymity brings the worst of some people, however there are many good reasons for allowing us to use different names (be it for RP purposes or clan tags and so on...)
Extrac: To be fair not everyone created their username with the purpose of it being a multiplayer handle or one they would share with the world, just an account name they would remember. I know I would feel a little uncomfortable if my account name was Firstnamelastname or the first part of my email address and was forced to broadcast it.

Something has to be done to help out the guys with Real / Email names
It is possible to change your username by contacting support. I do agree though, we need to have an edit option for our usernames via settings. We would be able to change our names and it would lower the amount of tickets support gets. Win-win for everyone.
Post edited October 20, 2014 by SpaceGnome
sepe6666: I was wondering the same.
Is there a specific reason for this? I guess you find your friends easier this way and it hopefully prevents some people being from teamkilling at every possible opportunity but anything besides the obvious? Just curious, not complaining...
d2t: Let me ask you differently - is there any specific reason against this?
Easy question. There are girls on the internet and the receive death threats for dumb reasons already. If AmandaPalmerNH beats CODMarine19511 because he's no idea Aliens are allowed to run on ceilings and assumes it's a hack what do you think will happen?

These are some of my reasons for asking. Another reason is that I like to pick a username that suits the game I'm playing. I tend to use a different name for sci-fi and fantasy games.
SpaceGnome: It is possible to change your username by contacting support. I do agree though, we need to have an edit option for our usernames via settings. We would be able to change our names and it would lower the amount of tickets support gets. Win-win for everyone.
I agree, it'd be favourable if we could just change our in-game username ourselves.
Post edited October 21, 2014 by shadowbaneaxe
shadowbaneaxe: I agree, it'd be favourable if we could just change our in-game username ourselves.
This can be implemented in-game, but the default value for your multiplayer handle is your GOG username and avatar. It's just more convenient if each the game recognises you and you can easily recognise people from the GOG community :)
Post edited October 21, 2014 by Venom
shadowbaneaxe: I agree, it'd be favourable if we could just change our in-game username ourselves.
Venom: This can be implemented in-game, but the default value for your multiplayer handle is your GOG username and avatar. It's just more convenient if each the game recognises you and you can easily recognise people from the GOG community :)
But it's not convenient if your gog username doesn't match your usual multiplayer handle. Steam for example has a unique login name, but you get to customize your multiplayer name as you like...
elie.choueiri: But it's not convenient if your gog username doesn't match your usual multiplayer handle. Steam for example has a unique login name, but you get to customize your multiplayer name as you like...
Ok, sure, we'll think about it.

But just to dig a bit deeper. You don't use your username to actually log in, you use your email for that. So why have two usernames (different one on the forums, different one in the game)?
Post edited October 21, 2014 by Venom