It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

New features, local currency option, new payment methods, store credit, and an updated look for GOG.com!

For almost six years now we strive to bring you not only the best in DRM-Free gaming, but also to give you the greatest experience possible. To that end we're always looking for ways to improve our site and service. Today, we're rolling out a vastly updated version of our store with an improved interface, sleek new look, and lots of handy new features. Let's take a quick tour, shall we?

Video: Welcome to the fresher, better GOG.com!

First of all we are giving you more DRM-free content: movies! We are starting with 20 documentaries about internet and gaming culture but we aim high! You can find more on this in the appropriate newspost, so let's focus on the other features we're rolling out.

We wanted to give you more choice as to how you pay for things on GOG.com. Now it's up to you if you want to pay in US Dollars, or in the currency primarily used in your country, whether it's the Euro, Pounds Sterling, Australian Dollars, or Russian Roubles. That's four new currencies supported by GOG.com for your convenience. Still - the choice is yours, so if you want to stick to US dollars, just switch to it - you find this option at the bottom of each page. To make buying things at GOG.com an even more flexible process, we're introducing some new payment methods: Sofort, Giropay, Webmoney, and Yandex.

All this also means that users for whom the local currency pricing has been enabled will have an option to select one of two different prices for each game in our catalog. Of course, we stand by the simple truth that $1 does not equal 1€, so a game with a $5.99 price tag will cost 4.49 Euro, 3.69 British Pounds, 6.49 Australian Dollars, and 219 Roubles respectively. $9.99 translates to 7.49 Euro, 5.99 Pounds Sterling, 10.89 Australian Dollars, and 359 Roubles. In a perfect world we would apply the same method of pricing to all of the games we offer. However, things are a little bit more complicated, and there are some games in our catalog that follow a different region-based pricing scheme. However, we wouldn't be GOG.com if we didn't find a way to make right by the users who end up paying relatively more for such titles. Here's where the Fair Price Package comes in!

The Fair Price Package applies to all of the titles which we couldn't include in our standard pricing scheme. If you end up paying more for a game than its standard US Dollar price, we'll refund you the difference out of our own pocket. The refunded value will be added to your account in Store Credit in the currency of your purchase. That's right, no more gift codes, you'll be getting Store Credit that you can use to purchase anything on GOG.com or partially pay for an item that's more expensive. More choice, ease of use, and less limitations!

Finally, the GOG.com store has gotten itself a substantial visual revamp. We went for a fresh, mobile-friendly design that should make it even easier to find the games you want, notice the hot promos, and see what's new. The main page, catalog view, product pages, and checkout have been updated and also lay the groundwork for even more overhaul, coming within the next few months together with many of the GOG Galaxy features. We hope you like it!

PS. Unfortunately, we need to drop some titles from our classic catalog. In such cases, we always do our best to give you an advance warning and a last chance to purchase such games - preferably with a considerable discount. Check this news post to find out which titles are being removed from our catalog, when will it happen, and what parting discounts for them do we currently offer.
Post edited August 27, 2014 by G-Doc
Lemon_Curry: I for one can't shake the notion that GOG is severely understaffed at the moment.
drealmer7: It's because something happened interntally and the place quickly became a shitty place to work and a bunch of people abandoned ship and now whoever is left is trying to pick up the pieces.
Not sure about gog being a shitty place to work , but it is now a shitty mess of a website to visit ,that's for sure :(
summitus: Not sure about gog being a shitty place to work , but it is now a shitty mess of a website to visit ,that's for sure :(
If GOG is the shittiest website you had to interact with, I envy you.
At least GOG website is pretty much functional and still it's pretty easy to find what you're looking for. A bit grey & boring though. There are a lot of crappier websites out there, probably done with a much bigger budjet too.
Daliz: At least GOG website is pretty much functional and still it's pretty easy to find what you're looking for. A bit grey & boring though. There are a lot of crappier websites out there, probably done with a much bigger budjet too.
So, because it's not as shitty as it could be, that's a good thing? Way to celebrate the mundane to make yourself feel better about what you use. The problem is most people don't care about quality, and it is being reflected in the consumer world.
drealmer7: So, because it's not as shitty as it could be, that's a good thing?
No, it's because it's not shitty. The site is good. It could be excellent, but it is good.
drealmer7: So, because it's not as shitty as it could be, that's a good thing?
JMich: No, it's because it's not shitty. The site is good. It could be excellent, but it is good.
Good in your opinion , I'm sure there is a lot of users on here that would say that is was good and now its just meh ... if your happy to accept mediocrity that's fine , just don't expect everyone to.
summitus: Good in your opinion , I'm sure there is a lot of users on here that would say that is was good and now its just meh ... if your happy to accept mediocrity that's fine , just don't expect everyone to.
I'll refer you to Daliz's post. Site is functional (could be better), easy to navigate (also could be better), doesn't tax the browser too much (unlike other sites), though it could use a bit more colour. So on a scale of 1-10, GOG site is between 6 and 8. That is not shitty, nor mediocre.

And I would bet that the percentage of people that have say the site is "meh" compared to before is much lower than you assume.

Again, this does not mean that the current site is perfect. But it's far from the worst that there's out there. Take a look at these 2 articles, though most sites have been updated since the articles were written. Article 1, Article 2.

So no, GOG's site isn't bad. Now excuse me while I go find some eye and mind bleach.
I think its slowly time to lock this thread since there is the: We are consindering your feedback thread in existence for some time now.

Who does not like the look of the website is not going to change mind anyway. I got used to it but its not my favorite website anymore which does not mean that I don't frequent it daily though. Its still gog but less user friendly.
Post edited October 03, 2014 by Matruchus
Matruchus: I think its slowly time to lock this thread since there is the: We are consindering your feedback thread in existence for some time now.

Who does not like the look of the website is not going to change mind anyway. I got used to it but its not my favorite website anymore which does not mean that I don't frequent it daily though. Its still gog but less user friendly.
THIS!
Do you agree?

http://www.gog.com/wishlist/questions/why_did_you_ruin_gogs_site

Please vote and share if you feel the same...
Post edited October 03, 2014 by euricog
JMich: Again, this does not mean that the current site is perfect. But it's far from the worst that there's out there.
Comparing bad stuff with worse stuff makes the former not better, it is just an excuse, but I agree that the current incarnation of GOG's site is mediocre and would it rate on about the same scale of 10 to 6.

Matruchus: I think its slowly time to lock this thread since there is the: We are consindering your feedback thread in existence for some time now.
Shortly after the revamp there pages of pages of concrete, polite suggestions how to fix things and add bring back missing stuff. So far, only the really worst offenders were fixed, partly with bandaids:

- promotions got their old style back due to the inability to make a proper new promo layout
- psychological game on already purchased stuff got fixed after heavy protests where you could not distinguish between already purchased games and not purchased ones.
- (related to the former): one could not really distinguish between already purchased games and purchasable ones, fixes to the shopping cart and price display on the game cards
- bugfix for wishlist not displaying prices (it was a bug)
- in the comment system, the stars were all black and white
- some more information on the game cards

No fixes until today:
- game card: too big whitespace on top of the page
- game card: no game shelf card anymore
- game card: why do I have to click on "more" on the extras? Why not displaying unique selling points at once?
- no timestamps on the comments and no more sorting options
- top bar too fat and generally speaking, interface is designed to wear boxing gloves for using it.
- still no colorful GOG logo
- NO indication if I'm logged in or not and - worse - no indication what user is logged in,
- no drop down search panel

Matruchus: Who does not like the look of the website is not going to change mind anyway. I got used to it but its not my favorite website anymore which does not mean that I don't frequent it daily though. Its still gog but less user friendly.
I got used to the layout now, but GOG is not my main focus on gaming anymore, the new steam store (and vastly more responsive browser engine for its client) took the cake from GOG alongside the new stuff and information it provides without having to resort to Enhanced Steam. I cannot use this extension because I don't use Chrome or Firefox and its developers don't care for other browsers.
high rated
Matruchus: [...]

That's exactly what they're waiting for to happen - people that didn't like it to get used to and stop complaining. Well, I didn't - thanks to various community efforts and some tweaking, I did (and still do) my own revamp on top of GOG's one to get it closer to my liking
I'd very much prefer GOG would make changes for a number of things to be native to the site, but I'm certain that they have no intention whatsoever, so I won't subject myself to what they believe to be the best web design - heck, I was using scripts and styles even with the previous one.
Matruchus: [...]

HypersomniacLive: That's exactly what they're waiting for to happen - people that didn't like it to get used to and stop complaining. Well, I didn't - thanks to various community efforts and some tweaking, I did (and still do) my own revamp on top of GOG's one to get it closer to my liking
I'd very much prefer GOG would make changes for a number of things to be native to the site, but I'm certain that they have no intention whatsoever, so I won't subject myself to what they believe to be the best web design - heck, I was using scripts and styles even with the previous one.
Of course they are waiting for that but tell me what can you do really. I screamed for a month on this thread and no changes were made and probably won't be going from what they listed that they think must be done in the feedback thread - nothing from the list of changes that people wanted. I use the barefoot essentials too to make the website bearable which I never did before on the old website. I don't know what else can I do. As much as I see most of the feedback that does not fit in their design of the website is just ignored and seen as "conservative".
Post edited October 04, 2014 by Matruchus
Well I really HOPE that they choke big time now on the revamp of their competitor Steam who went exactly the reverse way - they implemented many features which give the website a really good touch (though it is now a bit overcrowded).

Best way would be to make a total rewrite of the GOG website. I'm sure there will be much constructive feedback if you put this website in development in parallel to the current shop to https://beta.gog.com or similar and enable there all features except the purchase option in order to prevent misuse due to likely bugs.
Post edited October 04, 2014 by coffeecup
coffeecup: Well I really HOPE that they choke big time now on the revamp of their competitor Steam who went exactly the reverse way - they implemented many features which give the website a really good touch (though it is now a bit overcrowded).

Best way would be to make a total rewrite of the GOG website. I'm sure there will be much constructive feedback if you put this website in development in parallel to the current shop to https://beta.gog.com or similar and enable there all features except the purchase option in order to prevent misuse due to likely bugs.
Dudes, you can (and should) keep fighting, but if you really want to get a reaction, just up-vote and share this:

http://www.gog.com/wishlist/questions/why_did_you_ruin_gogs_site

If it gets to the top 10, they will have to answer it at the twitch event.

Like you, I too REALLY miss the original GOG, which was miles better than this supposed "revamp".
Post edited October 04, 2014 by euricog