It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Up to 75% off Hatoful Boyfriend, Long Live the Queen, Always Sometimes Monsters and more!

Weekly Staff Picks: Artificial Life is our selection of video-game takes on digital life and virtual lives. Because there's nothing quite like getting a do-over for high-school, as a princess no less! Get up to 75% off these four titles:

Hatoful Boyfriend is the avian dating-sim on the market today. You're the only human student in a school for talented birds in this unmistakably Japanese, delightfully quirky visual novel. Ah, to be young and in love (with a bird) again! But there is more to life than high-school drama - Long Live the Queen is a deceptively cute thriller of politics, hate, and violence. If you think the life of a princess is full of bliss, ballroom dancing and ponies you're in for a surprise. Most games are there to take us far away into fantastic and thrilling adventures, but perhaps the trappings of everyday life are the greatest quest of all? Always Sometimes Monsters is a title that tackles the very problems you, or anyone, can face every single day. Finally, there is Darwinia and Multiwinia, a visually simple but intriguing set of strategy games, in which the fate of an entire race of digital-life forms rests in your hands.

Put your own troubles on the backburner, welcome to your shiny, new Artificial Life The promo will last until Thursday, April 2, at 9:59 AM GMT.
Magmarock: Don't see any other reason how it could've ended up on GOG of all places. [...]
amok: Published by Devolver Digital,

http://www.gog.com/games##sort=bestselling&devpub=devolver_digital&page=1
I think that picture perfectly summarizes my feelings. Really doesn't belong lol.
deonast: I have most of their games and I don't recall any DRM when I installed them. Defcon and Multiwinia have a serial key required for multiplayer. My definition of DRM doesn't include simple CD keys.
micktiegs_8: Not necessarily multiplayer for DEFCON. Even if you wish to play single player without a key, you can only do so with yourself and another nation (max 2 players). If you use the key then you're allowed to have the full compliment of players, even if it's only AI you want to fight.
Fair enough I probably just put the key in without trying without it. Not a huge issue since the game sells with the key, just an extra step during install / play
Grargar: This one should have an exclamation point added to the list, because it's pretty much unplayable unless you enter the serial key, even if you're playing against bots - the game will restrict you to one opponent only unless the serial key is entered. I'd say this one flat out disqualifies as a DRM-free game, IMHO.
Does the game require an internet connection to validate the key? Does entering the key change the game so it needs to authenticate online to play single player? Does entering the key change the game so that it has compatibility issues with third party software such as no ISO mounting tools etc?

If none of the above I'd just take it as more of an inconvenience to enter the key once per install rather than strict DRM. I've had DRM and it is not so friendly as a CD key.
Post edited March 31, 2015 by deonast
deonast: Does the game require an internet connection to validate the key? Does entering the key change the game so it needs to authenticate online to play single player? Does entering the key change the game so that it has compatibility issues with third party software such as no ISO mounting tools etc?

If none of the above I'd just take it as more of an inconvenience to enter the key once per install rather than strict DRM. I've had DRM and it is not so friendly as a CD key.
It's apparently online activation.
micktiegs_8: Not necessarily multiplayer for DEFCON. Even if you wish to play single player without a key, you can only do so with yourself and another nation (max 2 players). If you use the key then you're allowed to have the full compliment of players, even if it's only AI you want to fight.
deonast: Fair enough I probably just put the key in without trying without it. Not a huge issue since the game sells with the key, just an extra step during install / play
Grargar: This one should have an exclamation point added to the list, because it's pretty much unplayable unless you enter the serial key, even if you're playing against bots - the game will restrict you to one opponent only unless the serial key is entered. I'd say this one flat out disqualifies as a DRM-free game, IMHO.
deonast: Does the game require an internet connection to validate the key? Does entering the key change the game so it needs to authenticate online to play single player? Does entering the key change the game so that it has compatibility issues with third party software such as no ISO mounting tools etc?

It has to call home to verify. A CD key would be a godsend compared to it. This is not a CD key. I have games like Drox Operative from their home site that require a CD key, which can be used on or offline because all it does is unlock the game.
edit: I should also state that the online authentication checks every time you start the game. It's not a once-off occurrence.
Post edited March 31, 2015 by micktiegs_8

Grargar: It's apparently online activation.
In that case yes that is DRM. The developers should give GOG an update that fixes that.
deonast: Fair enough I probably just put the key in without trying without it. Not a huge issue since the game sells with the key, just an extra step during install / play

Does the game require an internet connection to validate the key? Does entering the key change the game so it needs to authenticate online to play single player? Does entering the key change the game so that it has compatibility issues with third party software such as no ISO mounting tools etc?

micktiegs_8: It has to call home to verify. A CD key would be a godsend compared to it. This is not a CD key. I have games like Drox Operative from their home site that require a CD key, which can be used on or offline because all it does is unlock the game.
edit: I should also state that the online authentication checks every time you start the game. It's not a once-off occurrence.
Yes that is bad having that online DRM check. Hell GOG should ask the developers to fix it, they still have the source code it should be within their ability.

Disappointing that GOG didn't test for or ignored the online check. Guess I always had a connection when I installed so never would have guessed it would call home to activate.
Post edited March 31, 2015 by deonast
micktiegs_8: It has to call home to verify. A CD key would be a godsend compared to it. This is not a CD key.
Darn! And I purchased the game without knowing that! :-(
I am a bit disappointed. One of the reason I joined GOG was getting the Introversion games. :-(
Maybe this is sufficient reason to ask for a refund, if the game cannot be played offline.

(BTW, is it just me that cannot find DEFCON when searching for it? And searching for Introversion also does not list it... Odd!)

Is it the same with Multiwinia?
Gede: Is it the same with Multiwinia?
Not sure. Even though it's the same price as my favourite drink at the moment, I'd rather just buy another drink.

A review on its page suggests you can play it offline, but no information on a key requirement so it's ambiguous.