It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
Thanks for bearing with us in this thread. We’d like to announce that today we’ve introduced the addition of new installers, with implemented GOG Galaxy client.

Like Destro described it back in May, we decided to separate the „new" and „classic” installers, for your choice. So if you don’t care about the features like achievements or cloud-saves and don’t want to use GOG Galaxy, you can download the „Classic Game Installer", just like it was handled before. For games that have new installers, the default download view on „My account” will show the "GOG Galaxy Game Installers" - you will notice that, as it is visibly described in „My account” game view. To download the „classic” ones, just go to „Options" and choose „Classic Installers”.

The new GOG Galaxy Game Installers were added to +100 games - a selection of all games that make use of GOG Galaxy features. I'll post the current list of games with the new installers in a separate post.
Going forward, all new games that will use GOG Galaxy features, will now receive both GOG Galaxy Game Installer and Classic Game Installer.

Introduction of GOG Galaxy Game Installers doesn’t change anything in terms of keeping the Classic Game Installers up to date. As soon as we receive an update for any game, we will prepare an updated version of the classic installer, just like it was done in the past.

Edit: Pinned.
Post edited July 06, 2017 by fables22
yogsloth: Unusual in that Pillars of Eternity, which should have Galaxy in there as noted by someone else above, doesn't seem to have it for me. No note one way or the other. Nothing on my shelf seems to have that Galaxy verbiage.
Checking my Pillars of Eternity (Kickstarter key), I do have a "Classic installers" option under more, but no note, and the url is the same for both settings. Could be that it's a case of multiple ids for the same game, or that they didn't update the installers yet.
Either way, you should be able to tell which installers contain Galaxy and which do not now.
yogsloth: Breja, are you suggesting I should read the thread in which I am posting?
No, I'm saying what I've been saying for a while now, that the information about classic installers should be clearly given on the download page for every game, and that GOG should have used other avenues than just this thread to clearly inform all users about these changes. And since JMich here spent a lot of time arguing with me that I'm wrong about all that and no more information should be given anywhere, I used to opportunity to stick it to him.
Post edited July 12, 2017 by Breja
Breja: And since JMich here spent a lot of time arguing with me that I'm wrong about all that and no more information should be given anywhere, I used to opportunity to stick it to him.
What we have here is a failure to communicate.
What I said was that sufficient prior warning about the installers change was given, by a forum thread. I didn't say that the installers should or shouldn't be marked as containing X.
P.S. I do have a snarky reply for you, but since you already said you were tired of this thing, I am not posting it. If you are no longer tired, I may be snarky to you again.
high rated
Breja: And since JMich here spent a lot of time arguing with me that I'm wrong about all that and no more information should be given anywhere, I used to opportunity to stick it to him.
JMich: What we have here is a failure to communicate.
What I said was that sufficient prior warning about the installers change was given, by a forum thread. I didn't say that the installers should or shouldn't be marked as containing X.
P.S. I do have a snarky reply for you, but since you already said you were tired of this thing, I am not posting it. If you are no longer tired, I may be snarky to you again.
As far as I am aware no emails or major announcement in the store page was given/sent regarding the change and the option. The only way one gamer/customer would know about this (upcoming then) change, was if he/she happened to read the specific thread in the forum. Hardly "sufficient prior warning". Perhaps technically, but still an asshole way to deal with it, at best.

GOG has fucked up, repeatedly, and they don't care. That's clear enough to me. It's only a matter of time the client is the only option available. That's also clear. They have lost ALL good feelings they have accumulated over the years, at least as far as I am concerned. I have stopped suggesting GOG to friends and I am just waiting for the other shoe to drop so that I stop visiting here. It might take few months, it might take a couple of years. It is going happen. Έχουν καβαλήσει το καλάμι.

They don't care about their core customers and it shows.
Post edited July 12, 2017 by trusteft
high rated
XeidiDent: Even though I really like Galaxy and use it daily, I think GOG is stepping in the wrong direction by bundling it with the offline installers. If GOG really, really needs to do this in order to promote Galaxy, at least give the users the option to choose between installers with and without Galaxy as default option and make it clear at the download screen that they have the option to download it without Galaxy, as people suggested before.

Now, I won't say that this is the end and everything is lost. But what GOG is doing here does seem to me like one step towards making Galaxy obligatory some day and currently makes me doubt if it was a good choice to support GOG and prioritize my purchases here rather than Steam.

But, at the end of the day, I don't think GOG is stupid enough to abandon their DRM-free policy, because if they do, well, they'll become just another store front with games tied to their DRM client and that will be their certain death, because they won't do anything different than the other big guys already do and way better than GOG. I can speak for myself, so, if one day Galaxy becomes obligatory, I'll just take one minute of silence for my money spent here and will go back to Steam without a second thought.
It's really interesting that even the users of Galaxy do not agree with what GOG is doing. Forcing the average user to install Galaxy when they never asked for it is very deceptive. It's especially egregious that the "Classic" non-Galaxy installers are now hidden in the "more" button, and this has to be reset for every game. GOG really needs to make the Classic installers default on every game in the Game Shelf.
low rated
trusteft: The only way one gamer/customer would know about this (upcoming then) change, was if he/she happened to read the specific thread in the forum.
Time and time again the community yelled at GOG for announcing stuff left and right, and told them that the only proper venue of announcing stuff is their own forum. GOG announces something on the forum, and the community yells that it's not enough.
And no, bundling Galaxy in the installers is not a change so major that it requires a front page announcement. You (personal you) may think it is, but for me it's not. The installer size difference is though a potential issue with that change.

trusteft: They don't care about their core customers and it shows.
And who exactly are their core customers? The ones looking for old games? The ones looking for DRM-Free games? The ones looking for GOG exclusive games? The ones looking for games? Or do you think that the forum users are their core customers?
high rated
IMHO:
Attachments:

Time and time again the community yelled at GOG for announcing stuff left and right, and told them that the only proper venue of announcing stuff is their own forum. GOG announces something on the forum, and the community yells that it's not enough.
Yes...That's what I'm saying...

And no, bundling Galaxy in the installers is not a change so major that it requires a front page announcement. You (personal you) may think it is, but for me it's not. The installer size difference is though a potential issue with that change.
That's what (personal you) may think it is not a major one, but for me it is. I couldn't care less about the size difference. I have terabytes and terabytes of hard drives.

And who exactly are their core customers? The ones looking for old games? The ones looking for DRM-Free games? The ones looking for GOG exclusive games? The ones looking for games? Or do you think that the forum users are their core customers?
The ones who started supporting GOG and buying games and promoting for free this site to everyone so at one point GOG is big enough to shit all over them. Those are the core customers. Those are who time and time again GOG has decided since perhaps they are no longer the majority of their customers they once were, they are not worth showing any respect to them.
Forum users as in EVERY company, are but a tiny minority of a company's customers. That's my point. Announcing it in a forum thread is a joke and an insult, nothing more.

Not sure why you are defending them, but I guess I don't care.

KasperHviid: IMHO:
Exactly.
Post edited July 12, 2017 by trusteft
Wait, wait ,wait... is this really the way GOG handles the embedded Galaxy installer? The opt-out is actually hidden behind Options, with no indication on the installer window itself that it's actually going to install Galaxy? Tell me that pic is just hyperbole to illustrate the point and not the actual implementation.
GR00T: Wait, wait ,wait... is this really the way GOG handles the embedded Galaxy installer? The opt-out is actually hidden behind Options, with no indication on the installer window itself that it's actually going to install Galaxy? Tell me that pic is just hyperbole to illustrate the point and not the actual implementation.
I want to know too... but wouldn't be surprised.
If someone is too stupid to find the Galaxy download you better not confuse em with questions and options.
high rated
GR00T: Wait, wait ,wait... is this really the way GOG handles the embedded Galaxy installer? The opt-out is actually hidden behind Options, with no indication on the installer window itself that it's actually going to install Galaxy? Tell me that pic is just hyperbole to illustrate the point and not the actual implementation.
It is the actual implementation. Funny thing is, I actually quite liked Galaxy. But with scammer tactics like this, I'm not using it again.
Post edited July 12, 2017 by KasperHviid
KasperHviid: It is the actual implementation. Funny thing is, I actually quite liked Galaxy. But with scammer tactics like this, I'm not using it again.
Yeah tested it myself..
Can someone please call Jim Fucking Sterling?
Oh damn, he's right. And it 280 MB. That seems a lot. :/
Attachments:
avp1.jpg (157 Kb)
trusteft: The ones who started supporting GOG and buying games and promoting for free this site to everyone so at one point GOG is big enough to shit all over them.
Hm, with the exception of the shitting part, I am a core customer, and I don't think GOG doesn't care about me. Yes, they could handle the installers better (time and time again), but I don't think they are shitting on me. Does that mean that I'm not a core customer because they don't shit on me? Should I be asking them to do so, or am I still a core customer?

Oh well, seems like no matter how many people care about Galaxy, GOG shouldn't care about it. That should obviously please their "core customers" and not make people leave the store for lack of features.
KasperHviid: It is the actual implementation. Funny thing is, I actually quite liked Galaxy. But with scammer tactics like this, I'm not using it again.
This is amazing. I'm way past being mad. This is way beyond that. It's like watching an alien burst out of unicorn's chest or something. Or maybe rather like watching an alien fail to burst out of a unicorn's chest and get pooped out instead. I don't know, I'm too blown away by this to come up with a good metaphor.

Nalkoden: Oh damn, he's right. And it 280 MB. That seems a lot. :/
It's particularly impressive in the case of smaller games. I mean, it may not seem much on it's own, but one has to look at it in context. In your example it increases the size by over 50%. There are games where that will be more than 100%. That's insane.
Post edited July 12, 2017 by Breja