It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

noncompliantgame: Infinite9 and bradley got removed by tinye? Are you sure? And if so what do you mean exactly by removed? And if so how?
tinyE: XD For two people that have been removed, they sure post a lot. :P
I blame you for not removing them properly!
DaCostaBR: But these people can't handle it. They are angry and frustrated, maybe they feel they were lied to by people who promised them happiness and prosperity, now they can't believe maybe it was something they did that caused it, or even more likely, that it was just chance that put them in this situation. It's hard to cope with a chaotic and uncaring world, so they come to the conclusion that it was somebody's fault. Someone planned all this. "I am not just a random person in a crowd. I am special. Someone in power is actively working against me and my people, and now that I know the truth everyone else ignores, I am even more special."
Breja: There ain't enough +1 to give you. That's pretty much the conspiracy theorist's mind in a nutshell. Well that, and two more things- conspiracy theories provide simple, black and white, good and evil answers to complex problems. Instead of complex matters of economy, politics or science, you get a "hollywood action movie" version that everyone can understand. And with that comes the second thing- easy solutions. Complex problems of the real world usuallyc an't be solved without compromise and sacrifice of some sort. But in the world of conspiracy theories, all you need to do is defeat the evil conspiracy, and the world will flow with milk and honey.
Interesting breakdown of the conspiracy theorist mindset, guys.

You know I used to be with em on the 9/11 thing way back right after it happened. But in the years since what I realized is that, in retrospect, I *wanted* to believe in the "government inside-job conspiracy" because I detested Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld so damned much.

But I researched it a ton back then too, which got my doubt started, as the evidence just wasn't there. As much as I wanted it to be, had to admit to myself that the inside-job case was rather flimsy, when it came down to it. I mean Tower 7, right? Whichever was the third one to fall, I don't remember. But even though I'm still not exactly sure what happened there (I'm no structural engineer), one isolated fact, where no other evidence backs it up, is not enough to make a case. If other evidence supported it ok… but again there isn't any evidence for a conspiracy beyond Tower 7 in everything I researched and read back then, and my lack of understanding in that case could well be due to the fact that I'm not a structural engineer, and don't know myself exactly what to expect when a building like that is subjected to what it was, on that day.

And then the factor that made me eventually drop the theory entirely was that, in the years since, no "insider" has come forward to put the claim out there that this was done. Are u kidding me, the sheer numbers of people who would have to have been involved to pull this off? And nobody's talking?

Yeah that right there should show you you're off base. You're just not gonna be able to keep *that* many people quiet (hundreds? would have to be that at least...) for all these years, about something *that* figuratively explosive as our leaders intentionally killing thousands of their citizens in some nasty way in order to justify a war. And as much of overall dicks as Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld were, well… I still don't think they'd go that far, (heh, well maybe Cheney would…), if nothing else out of fear of getting caught.

Anyhow, I can admit when I've been wrong. But that is the factor I see, firsthand, is that sometimes for whatever reason you *want* to believe one of these things so goddammed bad that you see evidence for it where it doesn't exist. And hopefully then you keep thinking and realize your own mistake eventually...

richlind33: That statement is incompatible with scientific methodology. If there is insufficient evidence to make a valid conclusion then you do not make one.
richlind33: Fine, make and test some hypotheses, but if you form conclusions that lack a factual basis, you have deviated from scientific methodology, and are doing the very same thing you are accusing others of.
richlind33: Scientific methodology in the context of criminal investigation, in theory, should never proceed on the basis of assumption. You gather evidence and see if you can build a case that withstands scrutiny. If you can't, you put it aside and hope that more evidence becomes available. In the context of unfalsifiable theory, it simply cannot proceed.
Hmm… interesting to hear someone come on here, start talking about the scientific method, and within a couple short posts prove they don't know anything about the scientific method.

Yeah science is about dealing with the unknown. So you're constantly working with unproven hypotheses, in order to prove which ones are true and which are false. And a *huge* part of that is looking at various unproven hypotheses, and being able to figure out which ones are worth further investigation and which should be flushed down the shitter. So no, you *absolutely* draw "initial conclusions" as you go, though they are still unproven at that point, so you know which theories to continue to pursue.

"should never proceed on the basis of assumption" may be a valid thing in a criminal justice context, but it isn't in any other scientific one. There is no parallel to the "presumption of innocence" or the idea that each case should be handled without pre-judgement. Science is all about pre-judging, in fact, and then trying to find the hard evidence to prove your theory 100%. "Justice is blind", sure, but science sure as hell isn't. The idea that somehow "all unproven theories are equally false" is about the most perfect example you can give of the "false equivalence" fallacy.
Post edited October 06, 2016 by Ariod
low rated
richlind33: Scientific methodology in the context of criminal investigation, in theory, should never proceed on the basis of assumption. You gather evidence and see if you can build a case that withstands scrutiny. If you can't, you put it aside and hope that more evidence becomes available. In the context of unfalsifiable theory, it simply cannot proceed.
Ariod: Hmm… interesting to hear someone come on here, start talking about the scientific method, and within a couple short posts prove they don't know anything about the scientific method.

Yeah science is about dealing with the unknown. So you're constantly working with unproven hypotheses, in order to prove which ones are true and which are false. And a *huge* part of that is looking at various unproven hypotheses, and being able to figure out which ones are worth further investigation and which should be flushed down the shitter. So no, you *absolutely* draw "initial conclusions" as you go, though they are still unproven at that point, so you know which theories to continue to pursue.

"should never proceed on the basis of assumption" may be a valid thing in a criminal justice context, but it isn't in any other scientific one. There is no parallel to the "presumption of innocence" or the idea that each case should be handled without pre-judgement. Science is all about pre-judging, in fact, and then trying to find the hard evidence to prove your theory 100%."Justice is blind", sure, but science sure as hell isn't. The idea that somehow "all unproven theories are equally false" is about the most perfect example you can give of the "false equivalence" fallacy.
How is it that you are qualified to judge someone else's grasp of scientific methodology when you don't know the difference between a premise and a conclusion?
Post edited October 06, 2016 by richlind33
low rated
tinyE: XD For two people that have been removed, they sure post a lot. :P
Randalator: I blame you for not removing them properly!
you're just a mindless fucking shithead dude. you think if you support the evil you'll be spared? you think someone will give a fuck when it's your turn to pay? and who will that be - us normal people who you try to put down or shitheads like tinye? bad things no doubt happen in germany too - your country. either you have a death wish by digging your own grave or you just a shithead just as i said ALL germans are. i'm not threatening at all - it's not us the normals who are left who wish you harm. i'm just throwing words at most. but these pieces of shit like tinye they bring terrorists to your country, they bomb hospitals with drones, they invent chemical weapons, etc.

also PLEASE guys leave science away from this discussion - it's ridiculous. i seen some people saying proudly that they believe in science like it was some kind of god - there's no science to be had, it's just common sense which we all need to wake up
wtf is this thread? Since when did GOG turn into a bunch of conspiracy nutjobs?
bradelli: wtf is this thread? Since when did GOG turn into a bunch of conspiracy nutjobs?
That would be... September 09, 2016.
low rated
bradelli: wtf is this thread? Since when did GOG turn into a bunch of conspiracy nutjobs?
I'd say, never; Unless of course this is the only thread existing on the entire site of GoG. So of the tens of thousands of threads, one thread does not the entire site overturn/make.

Breja: That would be... September 09, 2016.
Doesn't feel like a month.
Randalator:
ciomalau: also PLEASE guys leave science away from this discussion - it's ridiculous. i seen some people saying proudly that they believe in science like it was some kind of god - there's no science to be had, it's just common sense which we all need to wake up
I think this says it all regarding our friend ciomalau here. XD

This is what they said right before they sentenced Socrates to death.
Post edited October 06, 2016 by tinyE
low rated
ciomalau: also PLEASE guys leave science away from this discussion - it's ridiculous. i seen some people saying proudly that they believe in science like it was some kind of god - there's no science to be had, it's just common sense which we all need to wake up
tinyE: I think this says it all regarding our friend ciomalau here.

Why bother with the facts people?! XD
Which ones?
richlind33: How is it that you are qualified to judge someone else's grasp of scientific methodology when you don't know the difference between a premise and a conclusion?
Because I read your posts on the topic. That's enough. I based that on what you actually said, unlike this:

"you don't know the difference between a premise and a conclusion"

which is some hollow attempt to turn the tables that isn't based on anything I said specifically.

Hah, and I'm not here to discuss "qualifications", I responded to what you said. Qualificaions are irrelevant here as we don't actually know each other so whatever we say about that is worthless.

Ah well, just thought I'd point out the clear flaws in your reasoning as you responded to the other posts here. Whether you're gonna listen or not is up to you.
Post edited October 06, 2016 by Ariod
Sure, let's have a discussion about conspiracy theories without using science, that makes sense.

Hah, sounds like a conspiracy theorists wet dream right there - throw all the theories around without all that damned "science" coming up again and again to prove them wrong.
low rated
richlind33: How is it that you are qualified to judge someone else's grasp of scientific methodology when you don't know the difference between a premise and a conclusion?
Ariod: Because I read your posts on the topic. That's enough. I based that on what you actually said, unlike this:

"you don't know the difference between a premise and a conclusion"

which is some hollow attempt to turn the tables that isn't based on anything I said specifically.

Hah, and I'm not here to discuss "qualifications", I responded to what you said. Qualificaions are irrelevant here as we don't actually know each other so whatever we say about that is worthless.

Ah well, just thought I'd point out the clear flaws in your reasoning as you responded to the other posts here. Whether you're gonna listen or not is up to you.
You're pretty funny, dewd.

So it was someone else that posted this little gem?...

"So no, you *absolutely* draw "initial conclusions" as you go,..."

A premise is not a conclusion, initial or otherwise: it's an assumption that is supposed to lead you to a conclusion.

So now we have two people that like to accuse others of doing something that they themselves are not above doing. Wunnerful! One more and you gents can have yourselves a circle-jerk. ;p
low rated
:D
richlind33: So it was someone else that posted this little gem?...

A premise is not a conclusion, initial or otherwise: it's an assumption that is supposed to lead you to a conclusion.
Nope that was me, and that was something you could perhaps learn about today. And yeah, it was a gem, wasnt it?? :P

Funny, its always the small-minded types who like to focus on things like terminology over concepts.

richlind33: So now we have two people that like to accuse others of doing something that they themselves are not above doing. Wunnerful! One more and you gents can have yourselves a circle-jerk. ;p
And you're just as wrong this time as the first time you said it. Congratulations on doubling down on idiocy!! ;)
low rated
richlind33: So it was someone else that posted this little gem?...

Ariod: Nope that was me, and that was something you could perhaps learn about today. And yeah, it was a gem, wasnt it?? :P

Funny, its always the small-minded types who like to focus on things like terminology over concepts.

richlind33: So now we have two people that like to accuse others of doing something that they themselves are not above doing. Wunnerful! One more and you gents can have yourselves a circle-jerk. ;p
Ariod: And you're just as wrong this time as the first time you said it. Congratulations on doubling down on idiocy!! ;)
So it's my fault that you can't quite manage to say what you mean, and I'm just being a terminology nazi? o.O

Generally speaking, my not-quite-brilliant friend, conclusions are something that are made in conclusion, whereas assumptions are a starting point, and that's a rather important distinction if you aspire to be something more than a dunce. ;p