It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Activity Feed • Gameplay Stats • Personalization

UPDATE: We've added a new option to the Privacy settings in GOG Profiles - from now on you can turn off your profile on GOG entirely, so no one can see any kind of information that is shown on the profile page. This also means that when you turn off your profile, you won’t be visible on your friends’ friends lists, even if they decide to keep their profiles visible.
The option to enable/disable your GOG Profile can be found in your account „Privacy & Settings” options, under „Privacy” tab.

We just introduced a new feature on GOG.COM: User Profiles – a social way to share what you and your friends are up to. See what your friends on GOG are playing, achieving, and sharing across four sections – Feed, Profile, Games and Friends.

Your Feed is the centerpiece of your Profile. Here, you’ll see which games your friends have been playing, all sorts of achievements and milestones, as well as general thoughts, screenshots, and forum activity. You can dispense your approval at whim and share your own stuff as well!

Your Profile is all about you and your gaming accomplishments. It's a summary of your activity, like the time you've spent in your games , your latest achievements (and just how rare they are among other users), as well as a glimpse at what your most active friends have been up to.

If you want to know more about your Games, you need to hit the the third tab. It contains a list of all the games you own on GOG, together with stats like time spent in-game and your progress towards unlocking the achievements. Sort the list, compare stats with your friends, and get some healthy competition going.

Finally – your Friends: get a general summary of their achievements and hours played. Here you'll also see which games are the most popular among your friends right now, so you can join them in multiplayer or find something you might enjoy yourself.

Of course, your profile comes with some sweet personalization options, choose a wallpaper from your game collection and share a few words with the world.

User Profiles are available for all GOG.COM users. Your personal gameplay stats like achievements, time played and milestones depend on GOG Galaxy, but if you’re not using the optional client you can still use the feed, post in it and interact with your friends.

Launching profiles also means adding new privacy settings on our end. You'll find three new Privacy options in your account's „Privacy & settings” area. These settings allow you to set the visibility for your profile summary, your games, your friends, etc.
So what are you waiting for? There's so much room for activities!
dewtech: GOG is turning into the same disease it was against when it was still called Good Old Games and why I actually registered here and escaped from steam. Time to download all my installers and goodies and try to stop visiting the place. The social media shittiness is in Steam, why do you need it here?
Yes.

I remember when I joined GOG for OLD games.

Now what is left?

I'm looking more and more to steam.
deleted
low rated
lillywaters: we shouldn't be lashing out at the people who are giving us the updates.
PrivateProfile: I agree with that.
Apart from that, I made it a policy of mine, not to go searching for evidence, if the person who claims certain incidents happened, won't provide said evidence herself.
It's usually a waste of time.
Its there but honestly I need to get ready for work so I can't spend the next 15mins trying to dig it up. It isn't the first time that this kind of abuse has happened when a form mod of GoG posts stuff. When I see that happen it makes me feel that the community is not grateful at all to the GoG team and it really doesn't pain a good picture of gamers when people act like that. I think often times people here forget the hard work that the team over there has to do to make sure that one getting new games in two making sure old games can work on newer operating systems and three even communicate as much as they do. There is a lot of companies that hardly even talk or update their users in what is happening however, if we keep beating on them there may come a time that they don't even brother updating or putting in as much work as they have to try to make a community.
high rated
elcook: Thanks for bearing with us for the last week, we have an important update to the GOG Profiles.

For the whole last week, we’ve been gathering feedback regarding the new feature on GOG. The news about profiles has spread across plenty of websites forums and communities, and we took our time to track all of them, and gather all of the feedback. The reception of the new feature we saw in the comments on Reddit, under different global and local media publications, as well as on social media, was really positive and this proved to us that we released a new feature that most of our users were waiting for. On the other side, some of you guys here in the forums, have felt differently about this new addition, and stated it clearly here.

At this point, we’d like to thank for all the feedback we received - the good as well as the constructive one. You bring a lot of important feedback regarding GOG, as you are very devoted to the platform, even if you're not the biggest crowd out there. And while we understand that there will be always different opinions, we definitely do not focus only on the positive mentions we come across, and always consider making changes if these changes are beneficial for the whole GOG community.

Taking it all into account, we decided to tweak a bit the Profiles settings, and add another option to the Privacy settings - from now on you can entirely turn off your profile on GOG, so no one can see any kind of information that is shown on the profile page. This will also mean, that when you turn off your profile, you won’t be visible on your friends’ friends lists, if they decide to keep their profiles visible.
The option to enable/disable your GOG Profile can be found in your account „Orders & Settings” options, under Privacy tab. Hope this will address your and others concerns regarding GOG Profiles.
There were already similar comments but still adding mine:

I am surprised by how well this post is received here. There is no recognition by GOG of the inherent problem of GOG not respecting user privacy. Nor an apology for sharing personal user data with the rest of the world.
The statement made it clear that the new option only exists because of the complaints - not because GOG respects users and their privacy. And my impression is also that it is worded in a rather impolite/insincere way.
high rated
The point is not to dismiss the sensible posts arguing against this implementation just because there's some idiots posting in a less than constructive way as well.

It was perfectly fine to complain. Not only did they just spring this update on their users without any prior warning, they completely ignored days of input/feedback which highlighted exactly what people were upset about and still made a big public announcement without any of the asked for changes.

That said, the changes were eventually made, so that's good. If it had released with these options and opt-in that would've been ideal.
Post edited April 30, 2018 by Pheace
high rated
The forums still contains "View profile" links for people that opted-out of profiles, so you get 404s if you follow them.
To keep it short, web developers will have to check the whole site when they're back from vacations.
And the security expert, to make sure the profile infos are also not available from APIs (just in case, haven't checked).
Post edited April 30, 2018 by petchema
dewtech: GOG is turning into the same disease it was against when it was still called Good Old Games and why I actually registered here and escaped from steam. Time to download all my installers and goodies and try to stop visiting the place. The social media shittiness is in Steam, why do you need it here?
OldOldGamer: Yes.

Now what is left?

I don't know if you're being ironic or whatnot but why would you go out of the frying pan into the fire (it was the closest translation I could think of the saying vihma käest räästa alla)
low rated
OldOldGamer: Yes.

Now what is left?

Why not both?
high rated
elcook: Thanks for bearing with us for the last week, we have an important update to the GOG Profiles. [...] ~ snip for economy ~
Was about time you did something. Can you also undo all the data leaks that happened this past week, and are still happening for thousands of unsuspected customers of yours?

I find it a bit hard to be thankful for what I consider should have been an option to begin with, even less so since you still seem to see nothing wrong with both the way you didn't properly communicate these new features to all your customers and the chosen way to implement them; I mean, it's not like we gave you our feedback and made suggestions in the pre-launch thread. There are still thousands of people out there that have no idea that you have violated, and still violate, their privacy; is having them unknowingly count towards the pro-public numbers more important than making sure they make an informed decision? Yeah sorry, this is how this comes across.

And making sure to point out how insignificant we are in terms of numbers to you, inclines me even less to express thanks as it comes across as we're supposed to be grateful for the huge favour you've done us by finally offering an option that should have been there from the beginning.

As for the sort of feedback you received on social media and whatnot, with due respect, people using social media have for the most part surrendered their privacy a long time ago, so it shouldn't come as a surprise privacy concerns were not expressed.

And agreed, this is just a bit of tweaking. What about the issues of individual privacy settings conflicting with each other if one doesn't go for the kill-switch? I've already given a few examples in this thread, and you should seriously address these issues a.s.a.p. instead of "may see in the future". And I'm talking about the leaks from one's own profile page.

And if you are actually listening to our feedback - look, I understand that you've mostly copied what Steam offers, and why, but you're not taking into account what individual privacy settings they offer for that setup to work as it does. For instance, Steam has that six friends list on profile pages, but do they offer an option to keep one's friends list private while having a public profile?
These are basic things you should have not only considered but also thought through, and make sure work without conflict, during the design and coding phase.

Dalthnock: [...] Mr. Elcook, the gist of the feedback was pretty clear in the first couple of hours. It shouldn't've taken you guys a week to get it. [...]
That may well be true, but it most certainly takes longer than the first couple of hours to collect reliable data about how sales are affected.
low rated
No more complaints about profile privacy, please.

They got the feedback and it was added, end of story.
Post edited April 30, 2018 by coreyblueexclusive
high rated
Zrevnur: [...] The statement made it clear that the new option only exists because of the complaints - not because GOG respects users and their privacy. And my impression is also that it is worded in a rather impolite/insincere way.
I'm not convinced it was the complaints that made it materialise (see my comment to Dalthnock a couple of post earlier).

coreyblueexclusive: No more complaints about profile privacy, please.

They got the feedback and it was added, end of story.
Not exactly.
high rated
After all these years and added features GOG still makes the same mistakes. Every time.

Implement stuff without announcing it,
"gather" feedback (= let people talk/complain/criticize for weeks) and stay silent during this time,
apologize and alter the newly implemented feature after weeks (if at all),
repeat

In this case you kind of announced it in the forums(!) before it happened but just for the sake of announcing it. Everything was already finished and in place and all the voices and concerns were ignored until now.

Why won't you try to improve this whole "feature process"? Is it too hard to ask and consider people's opinions during a project, before launching anything?
gamesfreak64: So 1275 asked for it ? i have seen games being asked for 10K or so and NEVER honoured theserequest... [...]
Now let's be fair: Wishes for particular games might be unfulfilled because of an unclear legal situation or if a dev/publisher has (currently) no interest in selling either DRM-free or though GOG.

The game Blade Runner from 1997 would be a good example for such a case: Copies of the game still exist. The [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blade_Runner_(1997_video_game)#Re-release]loss of the source code[/url]* and other assets only makes things like a HD-remaster impossible. The rights holder could still give a copy to one of their programmers and say "Here. Slap some DOSBox magic on this and have Phil from marketing send it to those GOG folks."
Unfortunately the rights to the game are currently with Electronic Arts - which is just another reason for why we can't have nice things...

Other wishes like "Make sure all of the games ever work perfectly under Windows 10" are literally impossible, since that would be a job for the developer/publisher rather than for GOG. Still people vote for that, because [insert a healthy dose of insults here].
high rated
GOG needs to do surveys again. At least I felt more aware and involved when they issued the last one.

Edit: But I'll be real: GOG doesn't care about those of us who've been around for a long time since we're more selective about what we buy. The community isn't as important as dragging in new customers.

Guess that's why Steam gets more of my money these days, even if I have to sift through hundreds of garbage games.
Post edited April 30, 2018 by Ophelium
high rated
jesujej: Some of you proudly show your location but get angry when they show some random numbers in your profile for everyone to see? I don't get it.
Are total number of games, that is designed to update over time, really a random number? Same question for the other two.

jesujej: Delete your account.
Did you seriously suggest this as a viable solution to the problem?

Niggles: Amazing how many people on the FORUM get their panties in a twist over a bloody profile. Far out!!!.Grow up people.
Amazing how you managed to miss the point completely. Or perhaps you don't care an iota about your privacy, because apparently that's the grown up thing to do.

lolplatypus: This.

So, to recap:
* Feature is announced on a small scale, Feedback ignored.
* Feature is rolled out, no warning outside prior announcement, no emails to your customers.
* Profiles are opt-in.
* Profiles are opt-in while partnered with facebook and the privacy policy being what its, nicely laid to out here by Djaron.
* Privacy violations due to the mandatorily displayed stats.
* Complete radio silence for a week while all of this is going on, with no hint of a rollback or anything to address the problematic situation in sight. All while a significant portion of the customerbase is probably not even aware of this due to lack of email notification.
* Then we get what amounts to "Thanks for keeping the thread active, we got some wonderful PR! Friendly reminder that you're the minority and we don't really need you, though, so, you know, know your place."

In the end a single point is fixed and everything is sunshine and hapiness again? Really?
It's honestly no wonder this stuff keeps happening. We're really easily placated, all things considered.
^So much this.

With a small correction. Profiles, as they were introduced, weren't opt-in (that would have been the proper way to do it), and they weren't even properly opt-out.

Ixamyakxim: A week to make a (somewhat) major software alteration to a brand new online storefront profile system - one that was requested not by a CEO or a softdev head but by the vocal minority on the forum? I don't think a week is too bad at all.

I totally with you that it should have been opt-in (at least on existing accounts). But I'm happy that they put it out there for us to turn off.
What somewhat major software alteration? All they did is make disabled profiles give a 404 Error page as the result of the "all or nothing" switch they added.

Lifthrasil: YES! Thank you!

One question though: what is the default setting? Is it 'public', 'friends only', 'only me' or 'off'?
For the reasons discussed here in depth, it should be 'only me' or 'off'. Otherwise you're still sharing data of unaware customers without their consent.
What do you think the answer is? Nothing changed regarding default settings, because they still don't think that there's anything's wrong with the implementation. They just added an option to completely disable everything profile related for those wanting it.