It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
Drunk_Rhino: Hi, you seem to be confused about what gamergate as a whole
See, it's hard to consider "gamergate as a whole". My experience of gamergate, and certainly gog's experience of gamergate, is what transpires through the gog forums and the many threads about it. And that is a very specific "tier", to take this DeFranco's terminology. But I also think that it's the very "tier" that defines gamergate in general. The history of how it was hijacked by it is another matter, independant from what it is today. Hey, who knows, maybe this Jesus Christ guy was even a nice bloke, but damn, look at the history of his church, how long will he remain their excuse ?

And nowadays, I do side with quoted journal articles that depict "gamer culture" as toxic, lowbrow, and pretty nasty in general. This is not an image that I acquired through journalism (I don't follow gaming journalism at all - actually my only sources on gaming outside gog was two or three youtube channels, including John Bain's, who was pretty much pro-GG). It's an image that I acquired through these very forums, in particular through the gamergate threads. Gamergaters have supplanted the image that was built by my own very few gamers friends and by GOG's own original community. Now, yeah, I do easily warn people against the dominant mentality in internet's "gamers" subculture. Even though I go through the effort of relativising numbers and visibility. GOG is certainly conscious that the angry geeks that flood the forums in the name of gamergate (and politically correct feminazi castrating gay hippie stalinist NWO oppression) are a negligible fraction of the humans playing videogames. But they are not a negligible part of the internet's self-percieved gaming "community".

So, for me, "gamergate" (and, to some extend, "gamers" as an internet subculture) are represented by threads such as this one, or the former, closed, gamergate ones. And they are a very direct illustration of what they are accused of.

And if genuine pro-consumers pro-ethical journalism activists (the supposed original gamergaters ? even though the original Quinn anecdote is pretty questionable as a motivation) have an issue with this, it's an issue they should have with the ultraconservative militants that have coopted this movement and turned it into a broad cultural reactionary crusade, and not with the observers who describe it as it is now.
Post edited July 24, 2018 by Telika
So the whole removal of the tweet isn't what has me concerned. The apology was even ok. GOG doesn't want to be seen as aligned to a movement and as a business I can't fault them for that (though throwing shade at said movement wasn't necessary). So the question becomes what was so concerning about the apology? Well look at your game libraries. Ask yourself how many of those games could someone take offense to for say any reason? What will GOG's response be when a person or a group of people begin to complain to GOG about how X, Y, or Z classic game offends them so?

I'll say this, the day I lose access to a game because someone whined about it offending someone will be the day I no longer buy games on this site.
high rated
Telika: snip
Have you ever considered that people's opinion of "social justice" have been formed through responses like yours where you throw out terms like Nazi or Communist at the drop of a hat? Or that every time there is a discussion, people like you try to change the topic into hatred of women? It's all a classic diversion.

Gamergate questions game journalists as to why they are ignoring the Zoe Quinn flap when they were all too happy to throw all sorts of other devs under the bus with a rush to judgement before any facts come out.

Game journos respond by calling gamers misogynists who live in their parents basement.

Then every time gamers respond, journalists shift the topic back into misogyny rather than discuss the actual issue brought up originally. Which indicate that they don't have decent responses to why they give favorable coverage to their friends, and take potshots at everyone else (like a certain Polish developer who they accuse of racism, sexism and whatever other isms just because the protagonist is male and the game world loosely based on medieval Europe).

People like you are the ones shifting the topic back to misogyny time and again. The people turning this into a cultural war are the cultural warriors who like to display their rampant sexism by taking every opportunity to "expose the patriarchy" even where there is absolutely no sign of it.

Heck, you are even throwing your disdain of church and religion into this. Communist, Nazi, Misogyny...who's the one being toxic, lowbrow and nasty?
low rated
don't worry, gog hasn't taken any side on this! since april 2014 (maybe earlier) gog has taken the side of profit, as ordered by its greedy spineless shareholders and gog still holds on to that side. hell, i bet they would drm your ass and put people into gas chambers, if there is enough profit to get from that!!!!!!
I'm more concerned about the SJWs that have already infiltrated into management positions at GoG. This whole debacle proves that nothing is sacred to the cultural virus of the social justice ideology.
Slick_JMista: I'm more concerned about the SJWs that have already infiltrated into management positions at GoG. This whole debacle proves that nothing is sacred to the cultural virus of the social justice ideology.
I got a large selection for sale, if you are interested.
low rated
Drunk_Rhino: Hi, you seem to be confused about what gamergate as a whole
Telika: See, it's hard to consider "gamergate as a whole". My experience of gamergate, and certainly gog's experience of gamergate, is what transpires through the gog forums and the many threads about it. And that is a very specific "tier", to take this DeFranco's terminology. But I also think that it's the very "tier" that defines gamergate in general. The history of how it was hijacked by it is another matter, independant from what it is today. Hey, who knows, maybe this Jesus Christ guy was even a nice bloke, but damn, look at the history of his church, how long will he remain their excuse ?

And nowadays, I do side with quoted journal articles that depict "gamer culture" as toxic, lowbrow, and pretty nasty in general. This is not an image that I acquired through journalism (I don't follow gaming journalism at all - actually my only sources on gaming outside gog was two or three youtube channels, including John Bain's, who was pretty much pro-GG). It's an image that I acquired through these very forums, in particular through the gamergate threads. Gamergaters have supplanted the image that was built by my own very few gamers friends and by GOG's own original community. Now, yeah, I do easily warn people against the dominant mentality in internet's "gamers" subculture. Even though I go through the effort of relativising numbers and visibility. GOG is certainly conscious that the angry geeks that flood the forums in the name of gamergate (and politically correct feminazi castrating gay hippie stalinist NWO oppression) are a negligible fraction of the humans playing videogames. But they are not a negligible part of the internet's self-percieved gaming "community".

So, for me, "gamergate" (and, to some extend, "gamers" as an internet subculture) are represented by threads such as this one, or the former, closed, gamergate ones. And they are a very direct illustration of what they are accused of.

And if genuine pro-consumers pro-ethical journalism activists (the supposed original gamergaters ? even though the original Quinn anecdote is pretty questionable as a motivation) have an issue with this, it's an issue they should have with the ultraconservative militants that have coopted this movement and turned it into a broad cultural reactionary crusade, and not with the observers who describe it as it is now.
You have summed up my feelings on the matter so eloquently. Of course it won't make a blind bit of difference, but the effort is noble.
Telika: See, it's hard to consider "gamergate as a whole". My experience of gamergate, and certainly gog's experience of gamergate, is what transpires through the gog forums and the many threads about it. And that is a very specific "tier", to take this DeFranco's terminology. But I also think that it's the very "tier" that defines gamergate in general. The history of how it was hijacked by it is another matter, independant from what it is today. Hey, who knows, maybe this Jesus Christ guy was even a nice bloke, but damn, look at the history of his church, how long will he remain their excuse ?

I mean RWarehall has basically said a lot of what I would have in response but this is an excellent point in particular

RWarehall: Have you ever considered that people's opinion of "social justice" have been formed through responses like yours?
Because believe it or not but as gamers we ALL come from very diverse backgrounds! I don't understand how this gets constantly overlooked? You would rather discredit the entire reason people are driving for change because of ...what? Tolls? Because the change isn't the change you would rather see addressed first?

There is validity to both sides of the arguements! We should get more transparency in games journalism because just like your politicians, wouldn't you want to know who is financing their reporting or policies? And as a community less harassment can ONLY be a good thing, INCLUDING labelling whole groups as one awful thing or another.

Diversity and variety can only be a good thing in my mind but I don't think this is what you really want because you just went and attacked another group. Look at the church then since thats where you want to go and realise that without the church science wouldn't as far along today without it. You can say the same thing about Muslims and virtually every other major religion on different aspects.

But as a group all the anti gamergaters seem to want is for everyone to toe the line and shut up. And you're encouraging that silence? Don't you think you should be questioning the information you're getting?

Just because there are extremists and trolls on both sides doesn't invalidate our core ideal otherwise no ideology would survive.

Also some one else posted this earlier but it seems pretty comprehensive from what I've seen so far and I'd recommend looking at it

https://lolcow.wiki/wiki//url]

Also R.I.P. TB
high rated
Just look at our local SJW hacks band together. Every single time you see this same people backing each other up.

SirPrimalForm, good job backing up Telika and her ridiculous name-calling using terms like Nazi or Communist. I'm so glad you are 100% on board with b.s. posts like that. You show exactly want kind of extremist you really are.

And I love these "I really don't know much about Gamergate but looking at the posts they are monsters." The very same thing can be said about you, SirPrimalForm, and Telika and everyone else spouting this Nazi, alt-right, communist name-calling nonsense. The lot of you show you don't know a damn thing about real politics and just like to throw labels around.

The hypocrisy is amazing given how silly the post is that you are supporting.

But here's the difference. What I see here are people on the Gamergate side, discussing the actual issue of the Tweet. I see on your side, you aren't discussing it at all, just providing noise through your incessant name-calling. It makes one wonder why its so important for you to silence your perceived opposition? Are they making too good of points?
high rated
I find it really satisfiing to see more and more people in this thread want to actualy discuse the idea of ethics in gaming journalisim.

Most of the trolls have crumbled out and all the negative people are just shouting cathfrazes that mean northing and can be ignored.

Fun fact. The people who used to be vocal about how GG was a hate movement where also the same people that later would write how the Witcher series is sexist and racist.
high rated
Just a few final comments to stop being derailing the thread any further.

Shouting out 'SJW' to everyone who disagrees with you (and vice versa) is both silly and utterly flattens any debate. I'm not allowing people to turn any topic into a shouting match, this one included. Either stay within the rules, act and interact like sensible adults, or you will simply lose you the ability to.
Yeshu: Fun fact. The people who used to be vocal about how GG was a hate movement where also the same people that later would write how the Witcher series is sexist and racist.
They need to stop doing that. If they can't at least try to be unbiased they have no credibility reviewing games. I have a female friend, mostly a casual non-gamer, who played the Witcher 3 for hundreds of hours, 5 times longer than I did, and enjoyed it immensely. The idea that it's somehow an affront to all women and non-white people is silly. Those websites try to label any game they don't like as being sexist and racist regardless of the truth just because they don't like it, instead of letting people enjoy the diverse types of games available and let people enjoy what they enjoy. It's clearly an attempt to control others, like vg247 did to gog.
high rated
Linko90: Just a few final comments to stop being derailing the thread any further.

Shouting out 'SJW' to everyone who disagrees with you (and vice versa) is both silly and utterly flattens any debate. I'm not allowing people to turn any topic into a shouting match, this one included. Either stay within the rules, act and interact like sensible adults, or you will simply lose you the ability to.
So, why is it then okay for people to do the same when shouting stuff like "right wing" whatever or "nazi" at people? It's been a common thing on this forum for a while now. I've yet to see a warning about that. It happens anytime a discussion gets political.
ashtonx: See this thread ?
Telika: See this thread ? 13 pages of validating all prejudices and caricatures about gamergaters. How long did it take for the thin excuse of "we''re just concerned about bribery and nepotism affecting games ratings" to give way to "we're outraged about progressive values in videogames and diversity in movies", followed with all the alt-right clichés, catchphrases and rhetorics ? That is, ditching its neutral pro-consumer excuse for a reactionary, ultra-conservative paranoid crusade ?
And just how "progressive" are issue and identity politics in a world that has yet to establish universal human rights?

Seriously, mang, none of us here has poop that smells like a mountain fresh breeze. o.O
Linko90: Just a few final comments to stop being derailing the thread any further.

darthspudius: So, why is it then okay for people to do the same when shouting stuff like "right wing" whatever or "nazi" at people? It's been a common thing on this forum for a while now. I've yet to see a warning about that. It happens anytime a discussion gets political.
At the start of the topic theres a lot of flaming and namecalling on the topic, Calling GG supporters mysogenic retards and the like . Yet we have a complaint of the term SJW? The hell?