It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Alexim: No More Robots has already said that they no longer want to collaborate with GOG because they weren't making enough money.
ZubatyZub: Enough money from sales or did they mean GOG's financial status? Either way, it's No More Robots' loss.
By number of game sales, the founder of No More Robots himself had written about it on Twitter, but I can't find the link at the moment. Given that they never advertised their games on GOG and never released their DLCs in a timely manner, as well as never implementing achievements, I don't know what they were hoping to accomplish.
^ 1%
https://twitter.com/RaveofRavendale/status/1459196810820476940
If such devs are too lazy to update their games on other stores It's only honest that other people also get too lazy to buy their games.

But the shitty world in which we live is an highly hypocritical one. I suspect that as soon as sales start to plummet on steam, they suddenly get an urge to sell on other stores.
That tweet will not age well... having your games on multiple stores is always a good idea in the long run, much like not holding all your savings in a single bank (account) is.

If it's "such a hassle" to maintain builds, it simply means you're lacking devops skills in your delivery team. Even a complex build pipeline should pretty much take care of itself once configured properly.
Pretty pissed off really

I've asked Mike out right number of times if they've dropped GoG, and no reply

A huge part of the reason they only saw a small %age of sale via GoG was they treated GoG as an after thought, if that.

They never pre-announced a GoG release, it would be a complete surprise if their game got released.

They never included GoG in any of their marketing or PR.

If you push all your customers towards Steam no wonder GoG won't be selling that many copies.

Companies that are clear and upfront about a GoG release, and release on GoG day 1 see about 8% sales.
mechmouse: Pretty pissed off really

A huge part of the reason they only saw a small %age of sale via GoG was they treated GoG as an after thought, if that.

They never pre-announced a GoG release, it would be a complete surprise if their game got released.

If you push all your customers towards Steam no wonder GoG won't be selling that many copies.

Companies that are clear and upfront about a GoG release, and release on GoG day 1 see about 8% sales.
Exactly, honestly better not to have such developers and publishers on GOG, let them stay on Steam and bask in their mediocrity.
As I said earlier, if the devs also have a say in the choice of distribution platforms it might not be all doom and gloom just yet.
At least for Dreamsettler as the quasi sequel to Hypnospace Outlaw (which despite not being advertised at all to also release on GoG and being a very niche title should have sold reasonably well here?) I think there could still be a chance for a GoG release.

I don't get it. If Updating your game is such a hassle, stop pushing out half-finished games that requires updates then. Or, you know, offer it on GOG once your done patching it...

Alexim: Exactly, honestly better not to have such developers and publishers on GOG, let them stay on Steam and bask in their mediocrity.
The thing is Mike runs a good publisher, he knows his business. One of those that wrote the book on Indie marketing and how to make the most out of Steam.

And that I think is a huge part of the problem, he puts all the focus into how to succeed in Steam and just assumes that will trickle to GoG or Epic, that simply releasing the games there is enough.
Mjauv: I don't get it. If Updating your game is such a hassle, stop pushing out half-finished games that requires updates then. Or, you know, offer it on GOG once your done patching it...
The former isn't as simple as that, and the later also means after those that would have bought on GoG day 1 if the knew about it have already bought it on Steam

Delayed GoG release hugely reduces the %age of copies sold via GoG
Post edited April 07, 2022 by mechmouse
mechmouse: Companies that are clear and upfront about a GoG release, and release on GoG day 1 see about 8% sales.
Where have you seen recent sales data?
mechmouse: Companies that are clear and upfront about a GoG release, and release on GoG day 1 see about 8% sales.
tfishell: Where have you seen recent sales data?
To be honest I've not been able to get anything recently. This is based off research I did about 5 years back.

I really should redo it, and keep better records (my replies were scattered across forums, DM, tweets and email), put together something with basic level journalism.
A somewhat recent figure would be the 2020 Cyberpunk sales (page 57), which supposedly was nearly 10%. Though that was practically a first-party game, who knows what it worths.

Another figure I see sometimes pointed out is Defender's Quest, but that's nearly a decade old (still has Desura, lol), so it's probably not too relevant today.
Post edited April 08, 2022 by soosgjr
soosgjr: A somewhat recent figure would be the 2020 Cyberpunk sales (page 57), which supposedly was nearly 10%. Though that was practically a first-party game, who knows what it worths.
By January 2021 this would have translated to at least 1.2 million copies (including refunds) then, as per wccftech's report:
Cyberpunk 2077 Is the Biggest Digital Launch Ever; Refunds Didn't Substantially Affect Aggregate Sales, Says SuperData
Post edited April 08, 2022 by Swedrami
soosgjr: A somewhat recent figure would be the 2020 Cyberpunk sales (page 57), which supposedly was nearly 10%. Though that was practically a first-party game, who knows what it worths.

Another figure I see sometimes pointed out is Defender's Quest, but that's nearly a decade old (still has Desura, lol), so it's probably not too relevant today.
was the 10% across PC or all platforms

IIRC it was just PC, which was a far lower %age than what W3 achieved.

I personally felt CDPR was shockingly bad cross promoting GoG with CP2077.

I've Valve made HL3 they'd be damn sure the 2nd biggest logos after the title would be Valve and Steam. But CDPR didn't use the huge advertising they did with CP2077 to really push GoG.
mechmouse: snip
Aye, the 10% is for PC sales only. Their 2015 report doesn't seem to have any concrete numbers, but GOG's share for the Witcher 3 apparently was over 50% initially. Though that number might be misleading, as the GOG codes from retail copies and GPU bundles were probably more relevant to the Witcher 3 than they were for Cyberpunk.