It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Atlantico: In actual fact, the main issue is the General Discussion forum. All other subforums are very nice, have incredibly helpful and insightful posts that are always on topic.

So, you know gog.com could save time and money by simply shutting the General Discussion forum down. Fables22 would perhaps not lose the job, but the job would be far easier.

Steam doesn't have a General Discussion forum. Imagine if they did. Oh boy.

Gog.com simply has grown to large to sustain a free forum of super friendly and non-trolly variety. Discussions here should be on games that are sold here, that's about it. Everything else is a luxury.
That's what the General Discussion forum is for: to keep all the tangents out of the other forums. It's doing perfectly fine doing that by its mere existence.

It's not named the "Discussion forum of Utopia". Though, I guess someone could start a thread for that…
Atlantico: In actual fact, the main issue is the General Discussion forum. All other subforums are very nice, have incredibly helpful and insightful posts that are always on topic.

So, you know gog.com could save time and money by simply shutting the General Discussion forum down. Fables22 would perhaps not lose the job, but the job would be far easier.

Steam doesn't have a General Discussion forum. Imagine if they did. Oh boy.

Gog.com simply has grown to large to sustain a free forum of super friendly and non-trolly variety. Discussions here should be on games that are sold here, that's about it. Everything else is a luxury.
thomq: That's what the General Discussion forum is for: to keep all the tangents out of the other forums. It's doing perfectly fine doing that by its mere existence.

It's not named the "Discussion forum of Utopia". Though, I guess someone could start a thread for that…
You can't just say "that's what it's for" when it clearly isn't doing that. It's giving trolls and other noisemakers a *platform*.

Posting things in the Stargunner subforum, no matter how inciting they may be, won't do anything because exactly 2 people will see it. It's way easier to contain nonsense by having everything in subforums.

There's absolutely no need for a General Discussion forum on gog.com *at all*. It used to work, now it doesn't.
high rated
Atlantico: There's absolutely no need for a General Discussion forum on gog.com *at all*. It used to work, now it doesn't.
I enjoy having a place to talk about general game related stuff that doesn't apply to a single game and about totally unrelated stuff here (movies, comics whatever), thank you very much. And since the rules went into effect, while it was a bumpy process and surely we'll run into some difficulties in the future, things got way better, and I really don't have any major issues with the way things are now.
Post edited May 28, 2017 by Breja
low rated
Atlantico: There's absolutely no need for a General Discussion forum on gog.com *at all*. It used to work, now it doesn't.
Breja: I enjoy having a place to talk about general game related stuff that doesn't apply to a single game and about totally unrelated stuff here (movies, comics whatever), thank you very much. And since the rules went into effect, while it was a bumpy process and surely we'll run into some difficulties in the future, things got way better, and I really don't have any major issues with the way things are now.
this
Breja: I enjoy having a place to talk about general game related stuff that doesn't apply to a single game and about totally unrelated stuff here (movies, comics whatever), thank you very much. And since the rules went into effect, while it was a bumpy process and surely we'll run into some difficulties in the future, things got way better, and I really don't have any major issues with the way things are now.
tinyE: this
Agreed. I don't visit the game subforums ever, nor do I want to. I may do so in the future if I ever run into an issue with a game that I can't solve by myself, but until then, I like my general forums just the way they are atm.
Unfortunately, that is not always the case. I recently found a topic on the Fallout series subforum in which some of the replies were not so nice, to the point where at least one of them was bad enough to be moderated. Also, Baldur's Gate had some nastiness around the time of Siege of Dragonspear's release, and I believe Planescape: Torment's forum has had some not-so-nice posts around the release of the EE.
Thanks for saying that!
I enjoy it too, that's neither here nor there. The question is how to minimize or even eradicate nonsense on these forums. Extra rules don't solve anything, there will always be sock-puppet accounts, trolls, crazy people etc. etc. and a General Discussion forum gives them a platform.

Remove the platform and you remove the problem and yet you keep the core of these forums. The gog.com forums are for the games sold here, nothing else really. This isn't a community to socialize, that's been killed with the new rules and the trolls.

The General Discussion forum that existed 5-8 years ago is dead and will never return. Now it's just a troll-whack-a-mole and gog.com even spends money on a community manager. Money that could have been used for something else entirely.

It so happens that all subforums are friendly, helpful and of the non-troll variety. Just like always, and they didn't need any rules or community managers, and still don't. This entire venture is made for the ostensible benefit of the General Discussion forum.

So the most logical, most simple and most cost effective way to solve this permanently is to follow the example of Steam and simply have no General Discussion forum. Second best alternative is to further segment the General Discussion forum into "Political Discussions" and "General non-political discussions" and further still if needed, e.g. "General Game Related Discussion". Deplatform trolls.
Post edited May 29, 2017 by Atlantico
Atlantico: Remove the platform and you remove the problem and yet you keep the core of these forums. The gog.com forums are for the games sold here, nothing else really. This isn't a community to socialize, that's been killed with the new rules and the trolls.
Yeah, I stopped reading right there. There's only so much nonsense I can process, and this is way over my limit.
Post edited May 29, 2017 by Breja
Atlantico: It so happens that all subforums are friendly, helpful and of the non-troll variety.
Unfortunately, as I posted earlier, this is sadly not the case.
Atlantico: I enjoy it too, that's neither here nor there. The question is how to minimize or even eradicate nonsense on these forums. Extra rules don't solve anything, there will always be sock-puppet accounts, trolls, crazy people etc. etc. and a General Discussion forum gives them a platform.
How long have you been on this place?
The plan you have works in theory, but if you've been here as long as you sound like you have, you know just as well as I do that the closing of General Discussion would just have the same nonsense spill over into the subforums instead. Every forum will have its trolls, alts, etc. after it reaches a certain size, that's just a fact of life. Even the Steam forums are notoriously infested. The problem here isn't that they exist, the problem is GOG's inability to do anything about them. All this'll do is herd the same exact problem into a bunch of different little channels that now EACH need to be moderated, while simultaneously killing off what little of the community-type atmosphere there was left.

Nuking the forums entirely would be a better option than this.
Post edited May 29, 2017 by zeogold
low rated
Atlantico:
zeogold: Nuking the forums entirely would be a better option than this.
I haven't ruled that out yet. :D
timmy010: I'm generally in favour of moderation but this is too strict. I'm already breaking rules by having a backup account!
fables22: 1) I'm not sure how long you've been around but it's generally agreed upon that strict might just be what this forum needs... Besides, it's really not any stricter than most forum rules all-round - perhaps just more explicit, which is what's been asked by the community.

2) I wouldn't consider having one back-up account as having multiple accounts. This mostly applies to alt accounts and spam accounts.
Mod, please, you guys need to tell someone to add the option to block certain forum users.

The user Hickory has literally been harassing new users, insulting them, derailing posts etc and it's really irritating. I posted an issue I was having, which I eventually found the answer for by myself. And now this Hickory guy is just repeatedly commenting on the post, stating false solutions, and insulting me and other users. He's a real menace.

EDIT: Thank you so much for locking my thread where the harasser had commented. I love you Fables!
Post edited May 31, 2017 by TheReaper95
Please.
Close GOG when GOG is closed

I mean GOG galaxy
Post edited June 03, 2017 by Gudadantza
Gudadantza: Please.
Close GOG when GOG is closed

I mean GOG galaxy
What?