It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The DRM-Free Revolution Continues with Big Pre-Orders and Launch Day Releases!

Good news! GOG.com is going to bring you more fantastic launch day releases, preorders, and other exciting new content from some of our favorite developers. We've lined up 3 big titles that we will be bringing to GOG.com in the next couple of months for sale or preorder that we think will be hits with all of our gamers; and we have more equally exciting games coming up soon.

If you've been a member of the site for a long time, you may recall that when we launched sales of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, we had to add in regional pricing. The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again in order to bring you new titles from fantastic bigger studios. Since we don't accept currencies other than USD on GOG.com right now, we'll be charging the equivalent of the local price in USD for these titles. We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe. We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com. We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!

That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing--two RPGs and a strategy game--and while we can't tell you what they are yet because breaking an NDA has more severe penalties than just getting a noogie, we're confident that you'll be as excited about these games as we are. For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com, just like we did for The Witcher 2.

If you have any questions, hit us up in the comments below and we'll be happy to answer (to the best of our ability).

EDIT: Since we've answered a lot of the common questions already here (and lest you think that we've ignored you), it may be handy for you to check out the forum thread about this and search for staff answers by clicking this link here. (hat tip to user Eli who reminded us that the feature even exists. :)
blotunga: I do wonder if publishers could be sued because of discrimination and price fixing.
That's quite an interesting question. Why don't you take the question and issue in general to your MEPs?
blotunga: I do wonder if publishers could be sued because of discrimination and price fixing.
HypersomniacLive: That's quite an interesting question. Why don't you take the question and issue in general to your MEPs?
The answer is less interesting: no, they can't be sued for this.
VoxDeNube: If something isn't fair against an individual, you don't have to accept it. This is a regional thing. In different regions of world there are different laws and mechanisms of how things work, or don't. If you want to go and protest, sure, you have rights to do that.
yoyolll: Laws have nothing to do with it. Increasing the prices for different regions is completely arbitrary. It's like saying you have to pay more if you're wearing a blue shirt. People are being charged more for no reason.

Also, when I say "protest" I don't mean organize marches and petitions, I just mean voice your displeasure. You said talking about it won't change anything, but whether or not that's true it is always a good thing for people to let their opinions be heard. Even if it doesn't make a difference, it's not in vain as long as others read it.
It's politics and economics, there is always a reason. Opinions are just opinions. It's deeds that matters, not plain talking, in the end it changes nothing.
Cavalary: ... and if something isn't fair to whole regions, does it make it any less unfair to the individuals?
But this is not even a matter of the general unfairness of the concept, but of GOG betraying their principles, and their customers as a result.
VoxDeNube: Strangely I don't feel betrayed, so you can't really say they have betrayed their customers as I am one of them. They haven't betrayed their principles as mush as updated them.
Why would the fact that you don't feel betrayed mean that they didn't betray their customers while the fact that I and many others do wouldn't mean that they did?
And how do you define betraying principles then, if just discarding one of them that has been strongly touted as recently as a few months ago as fundamental and never to be dented isn't it?
HypersomniacLive: That's quite an interesting question. Why don't you take the question and issue in general to your MEPs?
Theres no internatonal laws against regional pricing when it comes to digital sales.
I suspect there never will be
Tarhiel: Aand look what I have found out:

http://forum.worldofplayers.de/forum/threads/1332875-NEWS-Risen-1-and-2-soon-DRM-free-on-GOG?p=22430490#post22430490

Could this be one (or both) of the new "not-worldwide-flat-prizes" RPGs coming to GOG?
Niggles: you'd hope it were exciting new games that haven't been bundled or had multiple sales and massive discounts. it would be ludicrous and you think people are over reacting now?????
Guys, we have talked about it already. Risen 1+2, regardless of quality, are neither Preorder, nor Launch Day material. Also remember; GOG intends to use the first of those three games as a bargaining tool to convince other publishers to sign with GOG. Showing Risen would illicit nothing more than waves of laughter.
VoxDeNube: Strangely I don't feel betrayed, so you can't really say they have betrayed their customers as I am one of them. They haven't betrayed their principles as mush as updated them.
Cavalary: Why would the fact that you don't feel betrayed mean that they didn't betray their customers while the fact that I and many others do wouldn't mean that they did?
And how do you define betraying principles then, if just discarding one of them that has been strongly touted as recently as a few months ago as fundamental and never to be dented isn't it?
Some will understand, some won't, simple as that.
I think it's a bit unfair (regardless if they are coming to GOG or not) to talk about Risen like they are the worse games of the decade. They are not perfect but they are fine for what they are.
VoxDeNube: They haven't betrayed their principles as much as updated them.
So going in a totally opposite direction than the one they'd followed until today means "updated"?
lol
Just found this old GOG ad again:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dvaNgCTncLk#t=55

"But of course!"

My chest would hurt from laughing, if it didn't broke my heart already...
Cavalary: ... and if something isn't fair to whole regions, does it make it any less unfair to the individuals?
But this is not even a matter of the general unfairness of the concept, but of GOG betraying their principles, and their customers as a result.
GOG.com claimed, that "flat prices" was one of their core values.

GOG.com claimed, that they would stick with their core values.
Lodium: Theres no internatonal laws against regional pricing when it comes to digital sales.
I suspect there never will be
I'm actually more interested in the existence or introduction of any sort of regulations than suing the publishers.

EDIT: Flash question - does the same problem exist with music (digital vs CDs) and other media? Wondering, because I just remembered that Austin Wintory put up on Bandcamp the soundtrack of Journey for $5, but the CD is sold for double as much (min) by Sony.
Post edited February 24, 2014 by HypersomniacLive
VoxDeNube: They haven't betrayed their principles as much as updated them.
mobutu: So going in a totally opposite direction than the one they'd followed until today means "updated"?
lol
It's a company, it's a business, so yes. It's not a principle of an individual.
trusteft: I think it's a bit unfair (regardless if they are coming to GOG or not) to talk about Risen like they are the worse games of the decade. They are not perfect but they are fine for what they are.
I'm not saying they are bad games. It's just that GOG announced three Preorder & Launch Day games. Risen 1+2 belong to neither category. Also, trying to convince publishers to release launch day games on GOG and showing them a 4-years-old game as an achievement, would indeed result in waves of laughter.
Post edited February 24, 2014 by Grargar
GothaBlutauge: Just found this old GOG ad again:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dvaNgCTncLk#t=55

"But of course!"

My chest would hurt from laughing, if it didn't broke my heart already...
Great, we can add this video to the others:

The Regional Ripoff: Why Can't Gaming Be Fair? - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRdfYwvGTos

Marcin Iwiński, Guillaume Rambourg / CDProjekt RED, GOG.com Creating a Digital Business for Humans: studying the trials and successes of GOG.com - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6P3yOTR2Vc&t=1194
Post edited February 24, 2014 by Ichwillnichtmehr