It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

The DRM-Free Revolution Continues with Big Pre-Orders and Launch Day Releases!

Good news! GOG.com is going to bring you more fantastic launch day releases, preorders, and other exciting new content from some of our favorite developers. We've lined up 3 big titles that we will be bringing to GOG.com in the next couple of months for sale or preorder that we think will be hits with all of our gamers; and we have more equally exciting games coming up soon.

If you've been a member of the site for a long time, you may recall that when we launched sales of The Witcher 2 on GOG.com, we had to add in regional pricing. The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again in order to bring you new titles from fantastic bigger studios. Since we don't accept currencies other than USD on GOG.com right now, we'll be charging the equivalent of the local price in USD for these titles. We wish that we could offer these games at flat prices everywhere in the world, but the decision on pricing is always in our partners' hands, and regional pricing is becoming the standard around the globe. We're doing this because we believe that there's no better way to accomplish our overall goals for DRM-Free gaming and GOG.com. We need more games, devs, and publishers on board to make DRM-Free gaming something that's standard for all of the gaming world!

That brings with it more good news, though! As mentioned, we have three games we're launching soon with regional pricing--two RPGs and a strategy game--and while we can't tell you what they are yet because breaking an NDA has more severe penalties than just getting a noogie, we're confident that you'll be as excited about these games as we are. For a limited time, we will be offering anyone who pre-orders or buys one of them a free game from a selection as a gift from GOG.com, just like we did for The Witcher 2.

If you have any questions, hit us up in the comments below and we'll be happy to answer (to the best of our ability).

EDIT: Since we've answered a lot of the common questions already here (and lest you think that we've ignored you), it may be handy for you to check out the forum thread about this and search for staff answers by clicking this link here. (hat tip to user Eli who reminded us that the feature even exists. :)
takethepain: Congrats on being American
Not gonna play this game...
Kabuto: If that were really the case, regional pricing outbreaks should have occurred when Witcher 2 was released. Ye of little faith.
deonast: Nope very different. GOG had the game via their parent company CDProjek red for a all regions same price. Then after being put on the site fore sale the physical distributor took legal action against CDProjekt red to get regional pricing in. GOG had already commited to offering the game for sale. So they had to / after losing legal case do the region thing.

Post other deals are agreed before hand that it is a set price everywhere, the principle at the time were still one price everywhere. That princiale has now been removed and several games are being negotiated with region pricing. This is the precedent.
Your memory seems to be fuzzy. There was regional pricing and different versions of the game at the start. GOG then removed geoip which allowed anyone to lie about their location to buy the game version of their choice and at the price they wanted.
Post edited February 22, 2014 by Kabuto
GOG about The Regional Ripoff:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRdfYwvGTos

And the founders of GOG about the same Topic:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6P3yOTR2Vc&t=1194
Well, night all....this topic is not as much fun as the Insomnia Sale (but at least I can get some sleep!) :)
high rated
If GOG continues to bring games WITHOUT the regional pricing, as well as with, I would be fine with the "don't like it, don't buy it" methodology. The problem is this sets a precedent. And in the business world, any time something is done once, it is done twice, and then three times, and then it becomes the majority while everything else becomes unusual, and then it simply becomes the standard with no other options. The reason people are crying that the house is on fire, is because they are looking towards the future and extrapolating out what is likely to happen with all the very, very similar prior experiences from other companies. Plus, this represents a perceived unhealthy shift in GOG's loyalties (away from the paying customer and towards either themselves, their parent company, or the IP owners). People are worried this is just the start, and again it is a worry based on prior experiences with other companies.
I guess the two RPGs with regional pricing will be Risen and Risen 2 then...
http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/risen-2-dark-waters/news/risen,46392,3032889.html#comments
The staff have been surprisingly quiet as of late, I worry that a head or two may have gone rolling into a basket.
takethepain: Congrats on being American
Ophelium: Not gonna play this game...
Don't blame you. It's a losing one.
TheEnigmaticT: I understand that the lack of clarity for our policy is bringing confusion, and confusion brings a certain amount of fear with it. I ask that you--and the rest of the guys in the thread--think about our track record of how we treat our gamers with respect. What you're feeling is understandable, and I've found myself in the same situation before. I've found that the track record of the organization that's making promises is worth keeping in mind in circumstances like this, and I think our established history speaks for itself in that regard.
I've found that time and greed can erode the most determined of resolutions, so it isn't unreasonably pessimistic for some of us to expect such could happen here.
gamefood: I guess the two RPGs with regional pricing will be Risen and Risen 2 then...
http://www.gamestar.de/spiele/risen-2-dark-waters/news/risen,46392,3032889.html#comments
Darn it....my German is very rusty! :)
gamefood: I guess the two RPGs with regional pricing will be Risen and Risen 2 then...
Would there be any chance you explain that to me briefly in English??

I am sorry, I lived in your wonderful country for over two years and loved it, but that was over 30 years ago and even then I didn't learn it very well.
Post edited February 22, 2014 by OldFatGuy
Russonc: Darn it....my German is very rusty! :)
I think these AAAs are new releases that they're referring to in the OP.

Edit: It just says that someone from Deep Silver has stated that those two games are coming to GOG.
Post edited February 22, 2014 by JohnnyDollar
TheEnigmaticT: I understand that this change is one that people will be concerned about, particularly because the nature of this announcement is that we can't give complete answers to every question simply because we don't have answers to all of your questions ourselves.

But I guess it's worth asking: when we rolled out new games in 2012, a lot of people were really concerned. I saw a lot of comments like the ones here in this thread. Since then we've released games like System Shock 2, the WIzardry series, the Leisure Suit Larry series, Neverwinter Nights 2, I Have No Mouth and I must Scream, the complete Wing Commander series, and many more classics. I think we did an excellent job of adopting a new type of release on GOG.com while still sticking to the classics that we have been known for since we started. I think users who trusted us to keep our word that we would continue to release great classics even though we were releasing newer games as well found that we have rewarded that trust in spades.

Here we have said, "This is a big change, and it's one that we know will worry you. We're excited about the games that will be coming to GOG.com, and we're promising that we will do everything that we can to keep our regional pricing fair for everyone." At some point, doesn't the fact that we've been fighting the good fight for 5 years give us any earned trust on the part of our community? We will do what we can to make regional pricing as fair as possible. Trust us, for the moment, and see what happens.

Over the last 5 years, I believe that we have shown ourselves to be a company that is relentlessly focussed on treating our customers better than anyone else in the industry does. We think this change can be something that's good for you, because you'll find great games DRM-free on GOG.com that wouldn't be DRM-free without this. These games are going to be the same price everywhere in the world, except GOG.com will be giving something for you guys out of our pockets to help make up the difference between regional prices.

I understand that the lack of clarity for our policy is bringing confusion, and confusion brings a certain amount of fear with it. I ask that you--and the rest of the guys in the thread--think about our track record of how we treat our gamers with respect. What you're feeling is understandable, and I've found myself in the same situation before. I've found that the track record of the organization that's making promises is worth keeping in mind in circumstances like this, and I think our established history speaks for itself in that regard.
This was a nice post. strengthens my feelings to "wait and see" what actually happens... if it's good, then it's good, if not, we can all move on... (ok really heading to bed now)

Russonc: Darn it....my German is very rusty! :)
JohnnyDollar: I think these AAAs are new releases that they're referring to in the OP.

Edit: It just says that someone from Deep Silver has stated that those two games are coming to GOG.
thanks!
Post edited February 22, 2014 by Russonc
Russonc: This was a nice post. strengthens my feelings to "wait and see" what actually happens... if it's good, then it's good, if not, we can all move on... (ok really heading to bed now)
Yes it was, it was about the best they can do under the circumstances and I applaud them for it.

But I still understand others may be upset, and IMO they have a right to be and if they want to voice it I say go for it. I'm not happy about it myself even though it doesn't affect me because I always consider my fellow gamers and if the amount of unhappiness here is that many folks feel the best solution is to boycott GoG, then I will support them and join them.

Because even though this was an excellent post, and about the best they could do, it doesn't change the fact that a core value policy was changed. And the reason for the change is the same reason every company has for making decisions, and that's making more money. And that right there is the foot in the door that opens up the possibility of changing other core values, if they feel like it will make them more money.
OldFatGuy: Would there be any chance you explain that to me briefly in English??

I am sorry, I lived in your wonderful country for over two years and loved it, but that was over 30 years ago and even then I didn't learn it very well.
Deep Silver announced that they will release both Risen and Risen 2 at GOG without DRM.
They don't have an exact date of the release.
Both games includes German language.

Well, not very interesting for me, cause Risen was a freebie on several mags during the years.
Post edited February 22, 2014 by Schnuff