Way of the Red
is a 2d action platformer with a focus on fun, satisfying combat. Splatter blood across the land through four massive zones, each with their own unique environments, characters, and secrets. Use satisfying and versatile sword techniques to shred enemies to pieces. Mutate your character with the mysterious red seeds, and learn new abilities from hidden characters.
You take the role of a downtrodden swordsman of a nearly extinct race known as the birdmen. Years of training and battle leave you unfulfilled and without purpose, so one day, you leave home to discover the fate of your lost childhood love. Your quest for perspective is abruptly cut short when you are shot from the sky by a group of human warriors who specialize in trapping birdmen for use as slaves.
You wake up with your wings clipped and sword confiscated, in a land ruled by a sadistic king who posesses a strange obsession with harvesting the mysterious "red seeds". You come to realize that the fate of the one you've been searching for is intertwined with the king's nefarious ambitions. In order to meet her again, you must get your hands on a sword, escape enslavement, and carve a path of blood to the ominous Spire City.
- COMBAT - The movement is fluid and intuitive. The kills are satisfying and bloody. The swordfighting allows for many different fighting styles. You are fast, can strike in any direction and can interact with the environment while fighting. String together moves quickly to form elegant and bloody combos, all while smoothly conquering the hazardous terrain as you travel through the gorgeous pixel art environment.
- WORLD - You start your quest deep in the center of a secluded forest, and eventually make your way to a city in the sky. This journey brings you through four massive zones filled with intricate and attractive pixel art, hidden paths and secrets, and a host of characters who would like nothing more than to describe to you all their woes, or in some lucky cases, teach you new skills.
- MUSIC - Way of the Red has an exciting and varied score composed by a very talented chiptune musician, Daniel "Zigauche" Stoker. The fast paced music perfectly matches the pace and aesthetic of the action-packed game to give you an incredible, atmospheric experience.
- ART - Way of the Red is a very visually pleasing game, with many different atmospheres each with their own unique and immersive palettes. The pixel art is colorful, simple, and endearing, with extra care given to creating attractive color ramps and smooth, fluid animations.
- STORY - Way of the Red is a simple story that can be applied to your own life. It is a story of a powerful warrior who is beset on all sides by strife and judgement. The weak fear you, and the strong want you to fail. To keep moving towards your goals requires an infallible attitude, but what if you go too far? The pursuit of strength can take its toll on a man's soul, and at the end of it all, will you still be capable of happiness, and love? This is a story of perseverance. Hope has evaporated from the land. Even those who do not directly oppose you will cast doubt upon your intentions...