It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
Rejoice everyone! Another Falcom/Ys game comes to GOG.com this year :)
Pretty neat. It's a shame that Felghana and Origin (which are both more "advanced") came out before this one, but the addition of the warp item should take some frustration out of the game. Still looking forward to playing this one again.
Nice! We need them all!!

I Wonder if I'll miss something if I've just play'd the "first three ones" (chronicles and oath) and origin and I jump straight to the sixth one. I supose I will, oh well...
Post edited March 28, 2015 by duapruis
duapruis: Nice! We need them all!!

I Wonder if I'll miss something if I've just play'd the "first three ones" (chronicles and oath) and origin and I jump straight to the sixth one. I supose I will, oh well...
Considering the time lines of the games jump around a bit after the first 2, and considering IV was remade for Vita and V was only ever released on the SNES, I'd say you aren't missing much if you check out those other games when you can after playing this one.
duapruis: Nice! We need them all!!

FlamingFirewire: Considering the time lines of the games jump around a bit after the first 2, and considering IV was remade for Vita and V was only ever released on the SNES, I'd say you aren't missing much if you check out those other games when you can after playing this one.
I see, thanks. From what I see IV and V were released for the ps2 aswel so they could do a port of something *fingers crossed*.
duapruis: I see, thanks. From what I see IV and V were released for the ps2 aswel so they could do a port of something *fingers crossed*.
If any version of IV is gets ported to PC it's almost certainty going to be Memories of Celceta, It is recent. it's the only version of IV actually made by Falcom, it's the currently canon version and it is tied with Dawn of Ys as the Ys IV game generally considered the best.

And while I haven't played either of them, those two PS2 games are usually seen as the worst incarnations of their respective games, so if you do want to try IV and V finding some way to play the SNES version of V and Memories of Celceta and/or Dawn of Ys is probably your best bet for now.

That being said VI, V and VI all have the "Adol goes to some new country and deals with local problems"-type plot so I assume VI and V don't have much bearing on VI.
Post edited March 29, 2015 by painocus
duapruis: I see, thanks. From what I see IV and V were released for the ps2 aswel so they could do a port of something *fingers crossed*.
painocus: If any version of IV is gets ported to PC it's almost certainty going to be Memories of Celceta, It is recent. it's the only version of IV actually made by Falcom, it's the currently canon version and it is tied with Dawn of Ys as the Ys IV game generally considered the best.

And while I haven't played either of them, those two PS2 games are usually seen as the worst incarnations of their respective games, so if you do want to try IV and V finding some way to play the SNES version of V and Memories of Celceta and/or Dawn of Ys is probably your best bet for now.

That being said VI, V and VI all have the "Adol goes to some new country and deals with local problems"-type plot so I assume VI and V don't have much bearing on VI.
Again, thanks for the info, I'm still a rookie into Ys stuff so I didn't knew that the ps2 versions where considered "bad".

I've seen the snes versions and ys iv for the turbografx and the look awesome, not to mention the incredible work some guys did to translate iv for the turbografx, so maybe I should get my hands on a snes/turbografx and play them.

Also Ys: Memories of Celceta look pretty awesome aswel, I should totally get that to my psp.
Post edited March 29, 2015 by duapruis
FlamingFirewire: Rejoice everyone! Another Falcom/Ys game comes to GOG.com this year :)
I can't wait, the Ys games are so lovely <3 <3 <3
I already played Ys VI on PlayStation 2, so I'll pass on it. But it's a really really good game.
I played Ys VI some years back, along with Oath In Felghana, via... "less than legal means", using a fan translation patch and I would love to see it on GOG, for sure, but your post seems to be very sparse on details...

Where did you come across this info? Because a new Falcom game was just released today, but it isn't Ys VI. Without some kind of proof to back your statement, it just sounds like wishful thinking.
groze: I played Ys VI some years back, along with Oath In Felghana, via... "less than legal means", using a fan translation patch and I would love to see it on GOG, for sure, but your post seems to be very sparse on details...

Where did you come across this info? Because a new Falcom game was just released today, but it isn't Ys VI. Without some kind of proof to back your statement, it just sounds like wishful thinking.
http://www.esterior.net/2015/03/xseed-releasing-ys-vi-the-ark-of-napishtim-to-steam-gog-and-humble-store]

this:
http://www.esterior.net/2015/03/xseed-releasing-ys-vi-the-ark-of-napishtim-to-steam-gog-and-humble-store[/url]/

and this:
https://twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/581137847018786816
Post edited March 30, 2015 by duapruis
groze: Where did you come across this info? Because a new Falcom game was just released today, but it isn't Ys VI. Without some kind of proof to back your statement, it just sounds like wishful thinking.
Here's Xseed's official press release: http://xseedgames.com/news.php?id=236

And their official teaser trailer: https://youtu.be/rhDKZlasoEc
Post edited March 30, 2015 by Nester_the_lark
Thank you for your links! I'm looking forward to this, I like Oath In Felghana a lot more than Ark of Napisthim, but it is, indeed, a very solid game (I definitely enjoyed the fact it is a somewhat longer game than other Ys titles I've tried, at least it felt longer to me) and a great addition to the GOG catalog. An insta-buy for me, as soon as it becomes available.
groze: I played Ys VI some years back, along with Oath In Felghana, via... "less than legal means", using a fan translation patch and I would love to see it on GOG, for sure, but your post seems to be very sparse on details...

I was already covered by the other people below, but yeah, I got the information from looking at the XSEED twitter and also seeing it mentioned here:

http://www.destructoid.com/xseed-ys-vi-the-ark-of-napishtim-coming-to-pc-289569.phtml

Cheers ^_^
duapruis: Again, thanks for the info, I'm still a rookie into Ys stuff so I didn't knew that the ps2 versions where considered "bad".

I've seen the snes versions and ys iv for the turbografx and the look awesome, not to mention the incredible work some guys did to translate iv for the turbografx, so maybe I should get my hands on a snes/turbografx and play them.

Also Ys: Memories of Celceta look pretty awesome aswel, I should totally get that to my psp.
If you are going to play Dawn of Ys there is a few things you need to keep in mind:

First, that it is specifically a sequel to the Turbografx/PC-engine version of Ys I+II. Because of changes done both to the Turbografx version and to the Windows versions there are going to be some inconsistencies with the plot of the version you played. Although the only one major enough for me to remember was the fate of the Sara (you'll be told what happened to her early in Dawn).

Secondly, Dawn goes to great lengths to tie the Ys IV and Ys I+II backstories together. Some of the ways it does this probably contradicts what is currently canon and what happens in Origins. Memories of Celceta meanwhile takes the complete opposite approach and removes all Ys I+II elements except for Adol being the main character. The SNES game (from what I've heard, haven't played that one) takes something of a middle-ground, which I think was the original intention.

(Oh, and note that Memories of Celceta is for the PSVita and not the original PSP.)
Post edited April 14, 2015 by painocus