It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

tylersouth: Ok, I'm an idiot. Yeah it was there in the zip file. For some reason it never copied over into my P2 directory...even though I unzipped it three separate times. So I manually dragged the file over, but the FMV's still looked exactly the same...barely watchable. Plus all the animations are running superfast. Wasn't the patch supposed to help with these?
Corpuscule: Glad it finally worked !

The FMV do look like crap, as far as I know the patch only removes the interlacing (half the lines are black to hide the ugliness of it, it was trendy back in the day).

As for the speed problem I can't help you. Some people say the game is choppy, some say it's too fast... Seems there is no guarantee it'll work for everyone, sadly :(
Ok, good to know. Thanks for help!
so i went to the original post on this thread which led me to another website where i downloaded the zip file for the patch. i added all the files to my Privateer 2 folder then clicked the darkfix.exe but it told me that i needed to run install.exe first. any advice?
Not sure if this has been addressed, but I've been searching for some time. I'm using darkfix and would like to kn ow if there is any way to adjust the mouse sensitivity, or the joystick sensitivity? Right now it's way too high.

Thanks!
Does anything in this patch fix the scanlines?
Little tip for people who don't want to reinstall to C drive or want to keep the game another drive, because of limited space (like a SSD), but want to run the darkfix patch. You can make a system link to trick the game it is on the C drive, while it is somewhere else. If you don't have a folder name "Dark" on your C drive you can do:

Open command line window with administrator privileges.
type: mklink /D "C:\Dark\" "D:\GogGames\Privateer 2 - The Darkening\"

It's basically: mklink /D "some path on c drive" "path where the game is installed"

You can leave the dark.cfg path to "C:" To start the game, you can make a shortcut and replace the paths from "D:\GogGames\Privateer 2 - The Darkening\" to "C:\Dark\". You can also double clicking the file, but for it to work, the path in the address bar at the top needs to be "C:\Dark" and not "D:\GogGames\Privateer 2 - The Darkening\".

Tested on: Windows 10 x64
So far the patch seems to be working fine on Win7 x64 apart from two issues. Alt-tab doesn't want to work, and the audio is not very well mixed at all.

I'm sure the audio issue is simply how the game was programmed, but it's very difficult to make out what people are saying. I wish this game had a subtitles option.
I'm trying to get DarkFix working on my Win7 64bit system, but I can't get it to start. The regular GOG release works, albeit with annoyances like the scanlines, but right now, with DarkFix I'm stuck at "The application was unable to start correctly(0xc00007b). click ok to close" . I've tried various solutions that have come up in Google, but nothing I've tried gets me past this point. Anybody else run into this wall, and how did you get past it?

EDIT: Figured it out!!! It was a case of DarkFix trying to load a 64 bit version of msvcr110.dll, rather than the 32 bit one. Switched out that file, and it started right up.
Post edited October 16, 2017 by angryred
I just added a Logitech extreme 3D Pro joystick. Now the axis controls are reversed. I know this is posted somewhere; but, I can't find it.

What do I do to reverse the direction on my joystick?

I am using Windows 10 64 bit.

Thanks in advance.
Branes51: I'm having many problems with this patch.
The videos are good, no interlace. But when I get to Sinner's Inn, I have no mouse, no keyboard commands, except Alt-
X to exit. If I hit my right mouse button, either "Talk to Bartender" or "Exit Sinner's Inn" shows up, but I can't select either. I've tried using buttons on my Logitech Rumble pad, and the mouse, also tried using spacebar on the keyboard while either location showed up. Nothing. I am totally unable to select anything ingame.
I'm having this same issue. I've noticed that if I keep the mouse perfectly still, it'll register a click, but as soon as I nudge it, the pointer disappears, and it stops functioning.
Branes51: I'm having many problems with this patch.
The videos are good, no interlace. But when I get to Sinner's Inn, I have no mouse, no keyboard commands, except Alt-
X to exit. If I hit my right mouse button, either "Talk to Bartender" or "Exit Sinner's Inn" shows up, but I can't select either. I've tried using buttons on my Logitech Rumble pad, and the mouse, also tried using spacebar on the keyboard while either location showed up. Nothing. I am totally unable to select anything ingame.
tentaclesex: I'm having this same issue. I've noticed that if I keep the mouse perfectly still, it'll register a click, but as soon as I nudge it, the pointer disappears, and it stops functioning.
Same here, it looks like the mouse cursor gets reset to the bottom right corner constantly.
tentaclesex: I'm having this same issue. I've noticed that if I keep the mouse perfectly still, it'll register a click, but as soon as I nudge it, the pointer disappears, and it stops functioning.
Mesenzio: Same here, it looks like the mouse cursor gets reset to the bottom right corner constantly.
Is there a fix to this mouse cursor issue? I am experiencing the same issue ...
Apparently the Taffin Bug is not fixed by this ? :(
Does that mean the GoG version doesn't fix it either ?

Which seems odd as certain sites suggest to update to 17.0e to alleviate the problem, which is what the GoG version already uses.

Does using this unofficial patch somehow reintroduce the bug ?
Because i just got bit by this and got my story progress hard locked.
Post edited February 09, 2019 by rebb
Is there a way to make DarkFix less invasive ?

Whenever some kind of error occurs, it becomes impossible to just close the application because DarkFix is force-grabbing application focus, even when opening up the Task Manager ..

The only way to recover from some error ( that isn't even visible because DarkFix has of course grabbed focus ) is to log out and back in as a user, which ends up closing every other application that might have been open.

It would be nice if DarkFix would be more lenient in this regard.
Windows 8.1, Windows 95 special edition, not gog release, but can't find any other recent discussion of this patch.
After copying the contents of all 3 of my cds and then the "test3" version of the patch into the install directory, it just says "Please insert CD1" and like the above poster said, I have to sign out and then log back in.

If i change the top line in DARK.FIX to a virtual disc drive containing an image of disc 1, it will play the Origin FMV and then crash. darkfix.exe ran in win95 compatibility mode.

Anyone know any workarounds?

Aside: It's interesting that all the Wing Commander games are on sale currently... except this one :P

Edit: It seems to work so far with the gog version. Not sure if it was my cds or the w95 special edition in general that has this problem with darkfix.

As pointed out in an earlier post, the way the darkfix steals your application focus, preventing you from minimizing, is pretty irritating and I wish something could be done about it.
Post edited April 21, 2019 by PiesOfNorth
Mesenzio: Same here, it looks like the mouse cursor gets reset to the bottom right corner constantly.
jp3: Is there a fix to this mouse cursor issue? I am experiencing the same issue ...
same here :-(