It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

DISCLAIMER: The text below was copy-pasted from my correspondence with GOG.com support. They offered me a refund (which I declined since I play this game on my other OS X devices) then suggested that I reach out for the devs on my own, since the support agents aren't allowed "to act as middlemen between me and the devs"

My game version is v1.06. I'm on OS X 10.11.6 and I'm using a third-party graphics card (Nvidia GeForce GTX 750Ti) with Nvidia's so-called web drivers (no Apple drivers are available for this graphics card) After launch, the game spawns a full-screen blank window and all I'm getting is an endlessly spinning beach ball of death. The game process eats up 100% CPU usage and becomes marked as "unresponsive" in the process explorer app. It doesn't even create a folder in ˜/Libraries/Application Support/" like most Unity games do, so I can't provide you with an output log. When I manually launch the main game binary (WTWTLW.app/Contents/MacOS/WTWTLW) from within the .app with a Terminal command, the game prints virtually no output to the console except for a "SIGTERM 9 KILLED" message when I kill the process. There's a thread on Steam forums regarding a similar issue on Windows, but OS X doesn't have that option that supposedly fixes it.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/447120/discussions/0/1694917906653075640/

I also tried using the "opensnoop" console utility to see which files the game process tries to access, create or modify upon launch. It appears that it does not read or write to ~/Libraries/Application Support but does progress until it attempts to play the opening movie.

My own research led me to the conclusion that the game uses a very wacky method for modesetting -- should it default to window mode and minimum possible resolution upon its first launch, this could possibly resolve the issue.

I still can play this game on my portable devices running OS X and I have zero problems with Intel's integrated graphics like HD4000 or HD4600. I just can't run it on my main computer, which is very frustrating.

Nvidia GPU families like Maxwell, Kepler and Pascal are not supported by OS X out of the box, but Nvidia does release their own custom driver packages with a ripe and full-fledged support for these GPUs.

Where the Water Tastes Like Wine is my first game out of a multitude I played on my main computer that failed to start. Lots of other Unity-based games work flawlessly, as well as graphics-intensive apps like Everspace or Warhammer Total War. So it's not a graphics driver issue -- upon running into this problem with WTWTLW, I checked twice that I could run some demanding games with my current setup. I did some test runs both with Metal and OpenGL-reliant apps.

I have my own reasons to abstain from upgrading to 10.12.6 or 10.13.4 but if someone (like one of the devs) confirms this can resolve issue, I'll upgrade.
Attachments:
problem1.jpg (70 Kb)
problem3.jpg (88 Kb)
problem4.jpg (26 Kb)
problem2_.jpg (122 Kb)
eierfrucht: I have my own reasons to abstain from upgrading to 10.12.6 or 10.13.4 but if someone (like one of the devs) confirms this can resolve issue, I'll upgrade.
I haven't seen them around here. Might want to try email.
I received reply from the developer. They are looking into it. Must be that notorious Unity bug that is known to Unity devs and will be fixed in the 2018.1 engine update, but there's no announced timeline.
The current game version (1.3.1) now starts with -force-opengl parameter on Nvidia.

I sent my Unity Player logs to the devs.

With Metal, I get:

Initialize engine version: 2017.3.0f3 (a9f86dcd79df)
GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
2018-04-17 10:09:00.697 WTWTLW[570:10721] S24B300 preferred device: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (high power)
2018-04-17 10:09:00.697 WTWTLW[570:10721] Metal devices available: 1
2018-04-17 10:09:00.697 WTWTLW[570:10721] 0: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (high power)
2018-04-17 10:09:00.697 WTWTLW[570:10721] Using device NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti (high power)
Initializing Metal device caps: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti
Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly
- Completed reload, in 0.056 seconds
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/VideoDecodeOSX' - Pass 'FLIP_RGBARECT_TO_RGBA' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/VideoDecodeOSX' - Setting to default shader.
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/BlitToDepth' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/BlitToDepth' - Setting to default shader.
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/BlitToDepth_MSAA' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/BlitToDepth_MSAA' - Setting to default shader.
Receiving unhandled NULL exception
Obtained 20 stack frames.

With OpenGL I get:

Initialize engine version: 2017.3.0f3 (a9f86dcd79df)
Forcing GfxDevice: OpenGL Core
GfxDevice: creating device client; threaded=1
Renderer: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti OpenGL Engine
Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
Version: 4.1 NVIDIA-10.11.14 346.03.15f12
GLES: 0
GL_ARB_blend_func_extended GL_ARB_draw_buffers_blend GL_ARB_draw_indirect GL_ARB_ES2_compatibility GL_ARB_explicit_attrib_location GL_ARB_gpu_shader_fp64 GL_ARB_gpu_shader5 GL_ARB_instanced_arrays GL_ARB_internalformat_query GL_ARB_occlusion_query2 GL_ARB_sample_shading GL_ARB_sampler_objects GL_ARB_separate_shader_objects GL_ARB_shader_bit_encoding GL_ARB_shader_subroutine GL_ARB_shading_language_include GL_ARB_tessellation_shader GL_ARB_texture_buffer_object_rgb32 GL_ARB_texture_cube_map_array GL_ARB_texture_gather GL_ARB_texture_query_lod GL_ARB_texture_rgb10_a2ui GL_ARB_texture_storage GL_ARB_texture_swizzle GL_ARB_timer_query GL_ARB_transform_feedback2 GL_ARB_transform_feedback3 GL_ARB_vertex_attrib_64bit GL_ARB_vertex_type_2_10_10_10_rev GL_ARB_viewport_array GL_EXT_debug_label GL_EXT_debug_marker GL_EXT_depth_bounds_test GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample_blit_scaled GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_mirror_clamp GL_EXT_texture_sRGB_decode GL_APPLE_client_st
orage GL_APPLE_container_object_shareable GL_APPLE_flush_render GL_APPLE_object_purgeable GL_APPLE_rgb_422 GL_APPLE_row_bytes GL_APPLE_texture_range GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once GL_NV_texture_barrier
OPENGL LOG: Creating OpenGL 4.1 graphics device ; Context level <OpenGL 4.1> ; Context handle 101356032
Begin MonoManager ReloadAssembly
- Completed reload, in 0.028 seconds
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/BlitToDepth' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/BlitToDepth' - Setting to default shader.
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/BlitToDepth_MSAA' - Pass '' has no vertex shader
WARNING: Shader Unsupported: 'Hidden/BlitToDepth_MSAA' - Setting to default shader.
WARNING: 51552016 format is not supported, decompressing texture
Setting up 2 worker threads for Enlighten.
Thread -> id: 700001503000 -> priority: 1
Thread -> id: 700001586000 -> priority: 1
UnloadTime: 2.164286 ms
Unloading 29 Unused Serialized files (Serialized files now loaded: 0)
UnloadTime: 5.589961 ms
Fallback handler could not load library /Applications/Игрули/WTWTLW.app/Contents/Frameworks/MonoEmbedRuntime/osx/GalaxyCSharpGlue
Fallback handler could not load library /Applications/Игрули/WTWTLW.app/Contents/Frameworks/MonoEmbedRuntime/osx/GalaxyCSharpGlue
Galaxy SDK was initialized

(Filename: /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

Marking encounter MysteriousPackage as used