It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Does GoG release post-release patches? Is it a possibility that Chaos Gate can recessive multiplayer in a later patch?
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
They already answered it in the release announcement thread. The problem is that the game depended on some - now defunt - third party service for some of the multiplayer features.
thefifthhorseman.229: They already answered it in the release announcement thread. The problem is that the game depended on some - now defunt - third party service for some of the multiplayer features.
Where is the announcement thread?
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/release_warhammer_40000_chaos_gate_bc82a

I've got a question to anybody who bought GOG release - what does this "Please note that the Multiplayer features are not supported for this release." description mean? There is disabled multiplayer/this option disappeared in GOG version? That's a real shame, I really would like to try play with Chaos, but it's possible only in multiplayer mode :(
It means:
a) the game uses a legacy multiplayer protocol that is no longer in use. or
b) it used a service like GameSpy that is no longer around. or
c) the multiplayer component may use a more modern protocol but when people try to use it it doesn't work or people suffer extreme performance issues with the multiplayer porton of the game (lag, crashes, etc.)
Chaos Gate used MPlayer.com for online multiplayer, and that has been defunct since 2001. IDK if GameSpy took over the games or not, but GameSpy itself shut down last year anyway.

For now, I think hotseat should work - you might be able to make that work for online multiplayer by using remote desktop software, though that sort of solution is cringe-worthy. There is also a third party attempt to recreate Mplayer: http://mplayer.co/
Post edited July 17, 2015 by thefifthhorseman.229
I was acually referring to LAN-multiplayer, that didn't use MPlayer or did it?
Chris_Acrobat: I was acually referring to LAN-multiplayer, that didn't use MPlayer or did it?
That's a whole different question then.

Assuming nothing is fundamentally broken, LAN multiplayer over TCP/IP should work. By using a VPN program such as Hamachi or Tunngle, it could be leveraged to play online matches.

Actually, I think I'm going to try doing just that. Because Science.
Tell me how it went! No LAN-multiplayer is a deal-breaker for me! :(
If I remember correctly, Chaos Gate only supported the old IPX-protocol.
Chris_Acrobat: If I remember correctly, Chaos Gate only supported the old IPX-protocol.
According to the multiplayer interface and the manual, it supports both IPX and TCP/IP.
Chris_Acrobat: Tell me how it went! No LAN-multiplayer is a deal-breaker for me! :(
http://www.gog.com/forum/warhammer_40000_chaos_gate/testing_tcpip_multiplayer_over_tunngle
I'll need someone to test it with.
Even if the game depended on a third party service for some of the multiplayer features, they bought the entire license to the game, not just distribution. If you look at the publisher, it's GoG Ltd (Limited Company; subsidiary of CDProjekt Red).

Depending on the way the game was packed, if you own the copyright (or paid the right license) to a digital product, you should be able to modify the setup files and/or client files.

It sounds like the setup has an "expired" IP set into one of the config files.
Post edited July 20, 2015 by nvali
Ever heard the phrase, "possession does not equal mastery"?

You're making an assumption that GoG has the game's source code. As I said before, this is not a reasonable assumption in most cases due to the number of times the rights have changed hands and the closure of the original developer. From what I see so far, they are able to make changes the hard way - that is, by performing disassembly and reverse engineering the program logic - but that requires a substantially greater time investment.

nvali: Even if the game depended on a third party service for some of the multiplayer features, they bought the entire license to the game, not just distribution. If you look at the publisher, it's GoG Ltd (Limited Company; subsidiary of CDProjekt Red).
Some of the game's online multiplayer functionality depended on both an online service and a piece of third party software needed to connect with it.The service has been defunct for fifteen years, and the software is useless without it. We have no reason to believe GoG has the license to modify that third party software.

As I wrote earlier, we can try to leverage the game's LAN multiplayer to play matches online through using software such as Tunngle to set up a virtual LAN. If you're up for testing if it'll work with Chaos Gate, by all means let me know.

nvali: It sounds like the setup has an "expired" IP set into one of the config files.
Not quite - the service has been defunct for over a decade. Just changing the IP to another one will do nothing, unless the server at that IP is running the same service the software client is supposed to connect with.
Post edited July 21, 2015 by thefifthhorseman.229
thefifthhorseman.229: As I wrote earlier, we can try to leverage the game's LAN multiplayer to play matches online through using software such as Tunngle to set up a virtual LAN. If you're up for testing if it'll work with Chaos Gate, by all means let me know.
Do you have more than one computer? Can you try if simple LAN multiplayer works first? The frontpage only mention singleplayer after all.
Chris_Acrobat: Do you have more than one computer?
But no network switch, or crossover cable.
I've tried to set up local WIFi using my tablet as a hotspot, but something went wrong and while one of the machines was able to ping the other, the other could not do the same to the first one.
Post edited July 21, 2015 by thefifthhorseman.229
Chris_Acrobat: If I remember correctly, Chaos Gate only supported the old IPX-protocol.
thefifthhorseman.229: According to the multiplayer interface and the manual, it supports both IPX and TCP/IP.
Chris_Acrobat: Tell me how it went! No LAN-multiplayer is a deal-breaker for me! :(
thefifthhorseman.229: http://www.gog.com/forum/warhammer_40000_chaos_gate/testing_tcpip_multiplayer_over_tunngle
I'll need someone to test it with.
Were you able to test LAN match? Did it work?
PooonTangPirate: Were you able to test LAN match? Did it work?
Wasn't able to, on account of nobody being interested in trying it and being unable to set up a LAN between my PCs.