It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

So far I've had very little luck on Mac with either 1.6.2f2 or 1.6.2f3 due to a couple of different freezing issues.

I've got two test machines here, one running macOS 10.12.4 and the other 10.12.5. The results vary a bit between them, but both are pretty unplayable.

Test Systems

- Macbook Pro (late 2013)
- macOS Sierra (10.12.4 / 10.12.5)
- Nvidia GeForce GT 750M
- 16 GB RAM
- NOT USING GOG GALAXY (it's not installed on either machine)

Tested Versions

- War for the Overworld 1.6.2f2 (with and without DLC)
- War for the Overworld 1.6.2f3 (with and without DLC)

Symptoms

Originally I ran WFTO 1.6.2f2 on the macOS 10.12.4 machine. Every 5-10 seconds the game would freeze for 2-4 seconds during all menu scenes (main menu, end of level, etc.) and cinematics. The game levels themselves played alright though.

I reinstalled when WFTO 1.6.2f3 was pushed live. The menu lags/freezes didn't go away, but additionally clicking "Play" for the first campaign now completely freezes the game which requires a force quit. So this was worse.

I tried WFTO 1.6.2f3 on the macOS 10.12.5 machine. On that machine I didn't encounter any menu lag, but the game still entirely locks up when clicking "Play" for the first campaign level, rendering the game unplayable.

Notes

When the menu freezes occur, the full game is frozen -- no animations, mouse movement, etc. But the game does resume after a few seconds.

For 1.6.2f2 (on 10.12.4), there are no specific sound issues. When the cinematics freeze the sound freeze-skips along with them, so it appears to be a full lag of the cinematics themselves, and not just a graphical issue.

For 1.6.2f3, after clicking "Play", the game locks up before the cinematic even begins. The Screen is mostly black, but there does appear to be a random level-related texture image over on the right side of the screen when the lock-ups occur (on both test machines).

What I've Tried

- Disabling "Automatic Graphics Switching"
- Closing all other running applications
- Reinstalling
- Running with and without the DLC installed
- Running on another machine

Any other suggestions on getting WFTO to run?
Post edited June 21, 2017 by xixas
This question / problem has been solved by Noontide13image
Mine did something similar. Every 15 seconds or so (same time every time) it would freeze for a fraction of a second. I fixed this by downloading the 32-bit version.

My machine is way more capable than the game needs.
Hey xixas,

I'm sorry to hear that you're unable to play the game, could you first of all provide the system specs of the second mac machine that you are trying to play the game on? We actually have your exact machine here in the office and are able to play the game without issue so any additional information about your setup so we can replicated exactly would be much appreciated.

Could you also try to go to settings and select "Disable Campaign Cinematics"

And could you finally try to take a screenshot of activity monitor while you have the game running?
Post edited June 22, 2017 by BrightrockCian
BrightrockCian: ...
Both test systems are the same hardware specs. One running macOS Sierra 10.12.4 and the other on 10.12.5. The game lags with regular freezes on the 10.12.4 machine.

I disabled cinematics (option: "Disable Cutscenes") on the 10.12.5 machine, and that did allow the game to run, which is great. Thanks! That does kind of take away the game's story and humor, though.

Unfortunately, the 10.12.4 machine still freezes every few seconds during the game's menu screens.

Screenshots attached:

(1) wfto-cinematic-freeze.png — Screenshot when cinematics are enabled and "Play" is clicked (full game lock-up)
(2) wfto-cinematic-freeze-monitor.png — Activity monitor when cinematic freeze occurs
(3) wfto-random-freeze-monitor.ong — Activity monitor time view for CPU usage while main menu is running. High user usage (blue) is when the game is not frozen. Low points are during the freezes. The game ceases pretty much all CPU usage, even though the system isn't using it for anything else.

Could some of these freezes be caused by codec issues?

Alternately, it looks like version 1.6.2f3 uses Unity Player 5.4.4f1 (according to the *.app version info). On the Steam forums for WFTO, I've seen a couple older reports (presumably from your team) that these random freezes have been caused by incompatibilities between Unity and the more modern macOS distributions. If this is still the case, are there any open Unity engine threads addressing the topic?
Attachments:
xixas: ...
On the subject of the crash that happens when starting the campaign that is indeed a known issue between Unity 5.4.4 and modern OS X versions, specifically it's caused by an incompatibility between the way our videos are played and OS X.

This will be resolved when the game is moved to 5.6 which is currently a work in progress, unfortunately this has taken longer than expected due to various roadblocks.

On the freezing that sounds most peculiar indeed and we've not seen any reports of that to my knowledge. Cian will no doubt respond when he's next able with next steps for you.

Cheers,

Lee
Noontide13: ...
Thanks for the candid response. I wish you luck in the 5.6 update.

As a dev myself—including working with Unity—I know updates on Mac and Linux can be ...trying... and I appreciate that you guys are putting in the cross-platform effort.

In the mean time, I updated the 10.12.4 machine to 10.12.5. Unfortunately, the regular-interval freezes are still present on that machine, so for now I'll assume it's something to do with that particular machine's configuration. If I happen across the specifics I'll let you know ;)

I'll keep an eye out for updates and post back if the issues are resolved, but for now I'll mark your previous post as the solution. Thanks.
mishabrun: ...
Though probably inconsequential, the 32 bit note is potentially interesting.

Lee, out of curiosity (and without getting into proprietary specifics), did you happen to change the thread model between versions—e.g. single-thread the 32 bit version and multi-thread the 64 bit?

Of course, it probably wouldn't explain my issues here unless the menus or overlay animations are run on a separate thread.
Post edited June 23, 2017 by xixas
Hey xixas,

I don't think we target single or multi-threading on a platform basis, rather the game will try to utilise as many cores as present. Also bare in mind that 32bit builds are windows only and not recommended due to the memory restrictions they impose.

I'm glad to hear that you're up and running on at least one machine, hopefully you can now play the game until your dark heart's content.