It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Getting this error every time I try to boot up the game

UT2004 Build UT2004_Build_[2005-11-23_16.22]

CPU: AuthenticAMD Unknown processor @ 2813 MHz with 1023MB RAM
Video: NVIDIA GeForce GT 620 (3165)

LockRect failed: D3DERR_DEVICELOST

History: UD3DRenderDevice::ReadPixels <- UD3DRenderDevice::Present <- UGameEngine::Draw <- UWindowsViewport::Repaint <- UWindowsClient::Tick <- ClientTick <- UGameEngine::Tick <- Level Untitled <- UpdateWorld <- MainLoop <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Realloc <- 10910191 0 FArray <- FArray::Realloc <- 0*2 <- FMallocWindows::Free

Running Windows 8 if that helps. Would like to get some help starting this up!
I've been trying to find an answer, but I'm still using Win XP and can't test anything. I've read that other people can get it to run on Windows 8, but they need to reinstall the Microsoft Visual C++ library. I don't know if that works, but you'd probably need the 2005 redistributable version.
I was getting an error like that. Kind of peculiar being that UT GOTY works like a dream, but anyway...

The only way I was able to get the game to work was installing the 3369 patch for win 64 which you can get here, which comes with a 64bit executable.

Check your UT 2004 system folder first. I can't remember if the GOG version comes with 64 exe or not. If not, try the link above and see if that helps.

Also note: If you try the 64 bit UT 2004.exe, you will have to set your resolution. There is a problem that some people have (myself included) that the game crashes when setting the resolution using Direct 3D. So consider using OpenGL if you have this experience.
Post edited November 27, 2013 by 1322
1322: I was getting an error like that. Kind of peculiar being that UT GOTY works like a dream, but anyway...

The only way I was able to get the game to work was installing the 3369 patch for win 64 which you can get here, which comes with a 64bit executable.

Check your UT 2004 system folder first. I can't remember if the GOG version comes with 64 exe or not. If not, try the link above and see if that helps.

Also note: If you try the 64 bit UT 2004.exe, you will have to set your resolution. There is a problem that some people have (myself included) that the game crashes when setting the resolution using Direct 3D. So consider using OpenGL if you have this experience.
The game also crashed for me when I set the resolution ingame. But changing the resolution in "ut2004-win64.ini" in the Game System Folder worked fine. These were the lines that I changed:

WindowedViewportX=1920
WindowedViewportY=1080
FullscreenViewportX=1920
FullscreenViewportY=1080
MenuViewportX=1920
MenuViewportY=1080
Post edited December 08, 2014 by Ciryaher