It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

xcorbett98: Hi,
How do I play UT 2004 on my mac. I'm running Yosemite and I know how to use wineskin so can I just download the game on GOG and create a wrapper or is there a pre-made wrapper?
You know, you could just read through this entire thread. The answer has already been posted in here. Put forth a little effort on your own before asking questions. Many of us were able to figure it out using this thread. Surely you can too.
There’s a UT2004 Mac Wineskin made by PaulTheTall. I use it with my iMac (late 2009 model, running Yosemite). It works great. Here’s the link:http://paulthetall.com/unreal-tournament-2004-mac/

1. Download the Mac OS X UT2004 Winewrap.
2. Download UT2004 from GOG.
3. Drop the UT 2004 Winewrap in your “Applications”.
4. Launch the UT 2004 Winewrap.
5. Select: UT2004 setup.exe file to install into the UT 2004 Winewrap and install it.
6. When selecting the launcher for the Wineskin, select: GOG Games/Unreal Tournament 2004/System/UT 2004.exe
7. Follow the prompts.

From then on, all you need to do is open “Applications” and select the UT 2004 app to play UT2004.
Does the native still work on El Capitan, or is it Wineskin forever?

EDIT: Tested it myself, no dice. I guess the Wineskin wrapper is our modern port now.

EDIT 2: Actually, yes it does work! Try using this if you're having problems with the tutorial:
http://portingteam.com/files/file/7504-unreal-tournament-2004-native/
Post edited October 24, 2015 by Projectsonic
Projectsonic: Does the native still work on El Capitan, or is it Wineskin forever?

EDIT: Tested it myself, no dice. I guess the Wineskin wrapper is our modern port now.

EDIT 2: Actually, yes it does work! Try using this if you're having problems with the tutorial:
Confirmed, works on El Capitan using the GoG version. Nice! Even running it at 5K res!
Projectsonic: Does the native still work on El Capitan, or is it Wineskin forever?

PerfectCr: Confirmed, works on El Capitan using the GoG version. Nice! Even running it at 5K res!
hey man i tried both with the paulthetall wineskin and your other link, but i can't seem to get it to work ! the wineskin doesn't detect it and the other thing says to copy and paste content from the "windows install" to those they provide... but from my GOG download of the game, i don't have any such folders .
Do you happen to know what could be my problem? i'm thinking maybe it's the files that i downloaded from GOG that are faulty (the game is broken into three files)...
thanks a lot, i've searched quite a bit but can't find a solution. It must be noted that i'm not very good with this wineskin/patch business.
PerfectCr: Confirmed, works on El Capitan using the GoG version. Nice! Even running it at 5K res!
catilinochka: hey man i tried both with the paulthetall wineskin and your other link, but i can't seem to get it to work ! the wineskin doesn't detect it and the other thing says to copy and paste content from the "windows install" to those they provide... but from my GOG download of the game, i don't have any such folders .
Do you happen to know what could be my problem? i'm thinking maybe it's the files that i downloaded from GOG that are faulty (the game is broken into three files)...
thanks a lot, i've searched quite a bit but can't find a solution. It must be noted that i'm not very good with this wineskin/patch business.
I get what you are saying, because I am not good at it either! The part that tripped me up a few times until I got it was "installing" the GoG files in "Windows" first, then copying those "installed" files over per the instructions.

I just wish someone would release a proper Mac version of UT2004 instead of us having to perform these crazy steps. There was a disc based release many years ago. I sent a Tweet to Aspyr and they said they "have no plans" to release a Mac compatible version digitally. :(
atlasocean: I've ran into a small issue. Really small one.

The voices, you know, taunts and such doesn't seem to work, it's just silent.
I've followed the instructions from the OP and have a working copy of UT2004 on my elderly MacBook Pro with El Capitan. My thanks to the OP for a well written guide that has survived the test of time. :)

I used the original instructions and the helpful hint from fristle on page 1 about how to retrieve the CD Key from a Wineskin install. The Wineskin method of installation to get the necessary files was very straightforward, although you do need to download Wineskin and a few other packages within that application before you can start.

One thing with El Capitan was that I had to restart after applying the patch for the UT2004 app to be recognised properly as Universal (and not just PowerPC). Immediately after applying the patch it still had the 'banned' symbol and refused to open, but after a restart it was fine.

In regards to the voices not working, I had run across this page during my search for installation solutions:

https://github.com/seanhamilton/ut2004install.py

Under "Outdated OpenAL library" the author describes how to patch the Unreal installation to use an up to date version of this OpenAL library and get voices back. I have done this and can confirm I have voices working as well.

In case the Github page is no longer available, the instructions were:

UT2004 includes an outdated and broken version of the OpenAL audio library, which prevents character voices from playing. This can be fixed by replacing the broken library with a symbolic link to the updated OpenAL library included with Mac OS X.

$ cd /Applications/U*T*2004.app/System
$ mv -i openal.dylib openal.dylib.broken
$ ln -s /System/Library/Frameworks/OpenAL.framework/OpenAL openal.dylib
Post edited April 09, 2016 by jaredthenderson
Just successfully used this guide to install GOG UT2004 on my iMac under El Cap.

Used Wineskin Winery to install the GOG Windows version of UT2004. Grabbed the Mac demo and patch 3369-2. Instructions still work beautifully - many thanks!
Hey,

I got this working as well on latest version of El Capitan.
I found that going in and out of the settings sometimes caused the game to crash but switching it to windowed mode (un-tick the full screen option in the video settings) has made the game more stable.

I have MacPro5,1, running MacOS Sierra, UT2004 absolutely works fine. I did a Leopard install purely to do the UT2004 install and then just copied the game and library folder to my storage partition for safe keeping. I have had no probs yet, even with Sierra.
I was reminded of this thread from the 20th anniversary thing.

Good news: High Sierra still works.
Bad news: Apple's been talking rather big about nixing 32 bit app support across the board. When Apple does it, this and many other games offered on GOG will no longer work at all outside of a virtual machine. My bet is that since they've been putting out so many warnings is that the next OS version will do it, as that's when they usually nix libraries and the like.

So uh... there's your termination date for UT2004 mac outside of Wineskin I guess.

EDIT: Even worse, OSX Mojave will be depreciating OpenGL. It'll still be there, but no one knows for how long.
Post edited July 05, 2018 by Projectsonic
Projectsonic: I was reminded of this thread from the 20th anniversary thing.

Bad news: Apple's been talking rather big about nixing 32 bit app support across the board. When Apple does it, this and many other games offered on GOG will no longer work at all outside of a virtual machine. My bet is that since they've been putting out so many warnings is that the next OS version will do it, as that's when they usually nix libraries and the like.

So uh... there's your termination date for UT2004 mac outside of Wineskin I guess.

EDIT: Even worse, OSX Mojave will be depreciating OpenGL. It'll still be there, but no one knows for how long.
Good news is I've just installed Mojave and it's still working ... for now!
Projectsonic: I was reminded of this thread from the 20th anniversary thing.

richcassidy: Good news is I've just installed Mojave and it's still working ... for now!
Wow, that's surprising! So it'll be around for at least Mojave with no modifications. Epic really built UT2004 to last!
Does not work in Mohave, unfortunately
It says "PowerPC applications are no longer supported"
Doesn't seem like there's roundabout way to deal with it
Or does it?
Attachments:
untitled.png (157 Kb)
runike: Does not work in Mohave, unfortunately
It says "PowerPC applications are no longer supported"
Doesn't seem like there's roundabout way to deal with it
That's step 3.
HiPhish: Step 3: Patching
The demo is a pure Power PC application and won't run on Lion or any newer version of Mac OS X. The official patch however adds Intel code, making the game run again. Launch the patch application, say you will browse to the game's location yourself, do so and continue despite possible warnings. This will take a while but the patcher will finish eventually. Your game will now be able to run