It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

ssokolow: Unfortunately, this new version crashes in glDeleteTextures under Wine (when the loading progress bar hits the end) so I've restored my backup of the old version and I'll probably just end up beating that and forgetting to try any newer versions.
Which is the exact error message? I have been revising the code and I can't see anything wrong, so any clue will be welcome.
Thunderbringer: Also i've heard that new version crashes in win7 with nvidia cards for some people.
Where did you read it? I have win7 + nvidia and it works great.
I have only been reported of a problem with win8.1 + nvidia due to drivers. Could you please paste the exact location of this?

thanks!
Post edited May 02, 2014 by franfistro
ssokolow: Unfortunately, this new version crashes in glDeleteTextures under Wine (when the loading progress bar hits the end) so I've restored my backup of the old version and I'll probably just end up beating that and forgetting to try any newer versions.
franfistro: Which is the exact error message? I have been revising the code and I can't see anything wrong, so any clue will be welcome.
I've attached a screenshot of where the loading screen dies and here are backtraces taken from the crash dialogs when Unepic 1.47 dies under two Wine versions (1.5.20 or 1.7.10-CSMT-a632585) that have no problem with Unepic 1.44.5.

http://pastebin.com/giBFmUpn
http://pastebin.com/ubV1kn9y

In case you ever want to try to reproduce it, here's my system configuration:

1. 64-bit Lubuntu Linux 12.04, fully updated ("Ubuntu 12.04.04 LTS" according to `lsb_release -a`)
2. An nVidia GeForce GT430 with the version 304 nVidia binary drivers (The "nvidia-304" package)
3. A user profile built by running these commands in the terminal

git clone https://github.com/ssokolow/profile.git ~/.profile_repo
cd ~/.profile_repo
sh ubuntu_setup.sh
4. A PlayOnLinux install added using these commands

wget -q "http://deb.playonlinux.com/public.gpg" -O- | sudo apt-key add -
sudo wget http://deb.playonlinux.com/playonlinux_precise.list -O /etc/apt/sources.list.d/playonlinux.list
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install playonlinux wine wine:i386
5. The Wine 1.5.20 and 1.7.10-CSMT-a632585 builds available in PlayOnLinux under Tools > Manage Wine Versions > amd64
Attachments:
Yep. Crashes for me too, under Wine 1.6.1 on Ubuntu 12.04.4 64-bit and on AMD Radeon HD 7660D (AMD A10-5800K APU, actually) but I don't have the old installer. Like someone suggested above, I will probably send a message to the support team for a link to it. But I really hope this gets fixed in an upcoming update because I want to take a look at the new features. :D
sunshinecorp: Yep. Crashes for me too, under Wine 1.6.1 on Ubuntu 12.04.4 64-bit and on AMD Radeon HD 7660D (AMD A10-5800K APU, actually) but I don't have the old installer. Like someone suggested above, I will probably send a message to the support team for a link to it. But I really hope this gets fixed in an upcoming update because I want to take a look at the new features. :D
Yeah. 1.6.1 was the original one I was using with Unepic but it's built differently from the PlayOnLinux builds and, while it works fine with everything else, Unepic 1.47 somehow causes it to die while trying to contact the PulseAudio daemon (which I ripped out for being too buggy) before it even creates the window.
Well, thanks. Although I'm a bit worried about the crash using Wine.
sunshinecorp: Yep. Crashes for me too, under Wine 1.6.1 on Ubuntu 12.04.4 64-bit and on AMD Radeon HD 7660D (AMD A10-5800K APU, actually) but I don't have the old installer. Like someone suggested above, I will probably send a message to the support team for a link to it. But I really hope this gets fixed in an upcoming update because I want to take a look at the new features. :D
ssokolow: Yeah. 1.6.1 was the original one I was using with Unepic but it's built differently from the PlayOnLinux builds and, while it works fine with everything else, Unepic 1.47 somehow causes it to die while trying to contact the PulseAudio daemon (which I ripped out for being too buggy) before it even creates the window.
For some weird reason I can't stand PlayOnLinux and Wine recipes/bottles etc. much... so I am extra patient when games don't work, since I basically have to roll my own and accept that every Wine update could break things that were working or the opposite. Anyway, how did you get rid of PulseAudio? I can't find a way that doesn't break the system.
ssokolow: Yeah. 1.6.1 was the original one I was using with Unepic but it's built differently from the PlayOnLinux builds and, while it works fine with everything else, Unepic 1.47 somehow causes it to die while trying to contact the PulseAudio daemon (which I ripped out for being too buggy) before it even creates the window.
sunshinecorp: For some weird reason I can't stand PlayOnLinux and Wine recipes/bottles etc. much... so I am extra patient when games don't work, since I basically have to roll my own and accept that every Wine update could break things that were working or the opposite. Anyway, how did you get rid of PulseAudio? I can't find a way that doesn't break the system.
I generally install games which have no recipes. My main use for PlayOnLinux is as an easy way to give each game its own WINEPREFIX with varying Wine versions and as a way to keep my already long-enough-to-scroll Games menu from being twice as long.

At the moment, I'm still on Lubuntu 12.04 (been too overworked to risk breaking something with an upgrade to 14.04 LTS) and all it took was sudo apt-get autoremove pulseaudio gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio gstreamer1.0-pulseaudio.

The libraries and config files against which everything links remain in place and fail over to bare ALSA and, with one exception (Skype 4.x), everything Just Works™.

(When I fire it up to start a voice call I've arranged via Pidgin, I use the statically linked Skype 2.2.0.35 beta for which I re-acquired the tarball via Arch Linux's AUR.)

When it comes time to upgrade, I'll try a VirtualBox install and, if removing PulseAudio no longer works, I'll evaluate Debian, Arch, or a return to Gentoo. (Every single time I've tried that damn thing, it's had some stupid bug like pegging one of my CPU cores at 100% until killed because I had the audacity to run a game in Wine a few hours ago.)
sunshinecorp: For some weird reason I can't stand PlayOnLinux and Wine recipes/bottles etc. much... so I am extra patient when games don't work, since I basically have to roll my own and accept that every Wine update could break things that were working or the opposite. Anyway, how did you get rid of PulseAudio? I can't find a way that doesn't break the system.
ssokolow: I generally install games which have no recipes. My main use for PlayOnLinux is as an easy way to give each game its own WINEPREFIX with varying Wine versions and as a way to keep my already long-enough-to-scroll Games menu from being twice as long.

At the moment, I'm still on Lubuntu 12.04 (been too overworked to risk breaking something with an upgrade to 14.04 LTS) and all it took was sudo apt-get autoremove pulseaudio gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio gstreamer1.0-pulseaudio.

The libraries and config files against which everything links remain in place and fail over to bare ALSA and, with one exception (Skype 4.x), everything Just Works™.

(When I fire it up to start a voice call I've arranged via Pidgin, I use the statically linked Skype 2.2.0.35 beta for which I re-acquired the tarball via Arch Linux's AUR.)

When it comes time to upgrade, I'll try a VirtualBox install and, if removing PulseAudio no longer works, I'll evaluate Debian, Arch, or a return to Gentoo. (Every single time I've tried that damn thing, it's had some stupid bug like pegging one of my CPU cores at 100% until killed because I had the audacity to run a game in Wine a few hours ago.)
Gentoo... yes... that's what I'd prefer to run too, but I don't have the time for it. I chose Ubuntu because of its advertised "compatibility" with most games, turned out to be crap, could have easily gone with an alternative, but now like you I've overworked it and I'm dreading the time when I'll have to switch or upgrade. Too much time has gone into making things perfect for me. But removing PulseAudio, I couldn't do. Not seamlessly anyway.

But I fear we're sidetracking the thread. Sorry, everyone! :D