It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I am playing Ultima II now after having enjoyed the first one; however, the game moves way too fast (for instance, the opening screen for the game [which has a bit of a glitchy display] flies by so fast that it took me several times to read all the text before it disappeared). I'm not overly familiar with "cycles" but I understand that decreasing them will make the game move slower. Could someone tell me how to decrease the number of cycles from GOG's default of 500?

Thank you.
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
JustinHack: ...Could someone tell me how to decrease the number of cycles from GOG's default of 500?
In-game you can use these hotkeys for the current session:
CTRL+F11 to decrease DOSBox cycles (slows down the emulation).
CTRL+F12 to increase DOSBox cycles (speeds up the emulation).

If you want to change it permanently, you have to edit the game's config file (..\Ultima Trilogy\ULTIMA2\dosboxULTIMA2.conf). Open it with any text editor and set "cycles=" to the value you like best.
Post edited September 04, 2014 by DeMignon
JustinHack: I am playing Ultima II now after having enjoyed the first one; however, the game moves way too fast (for instance, the opening screen for the game [which has a bit of a glitchy display] flies by so fast that it took me several times to read all the text before it disappeared). I'm not overly familiar with "cycles" but I understand that decreasing them will make the game move slower. Could someone tell me how to decrease the number of cycles from GOG's default of 500?

Thank you.
Also consider applying the Ultima 2 Upgrade which adds a frame limiter to the game, in addition to improving the graphics:

http://exodus.voyd.net/ultima2.html
Thanks guys.

Changing the cycles permanently by editing the .conf file works fine, but when I try CTRL+F11 or CTRL+F12 the game just makes a weird noise and I get an "illegal command" notice. Any idea why that would be?
Also, my computer won't run that Exodus Project patch for whatever reason...