It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I'm playing this game on Easy mode, but after the first level, it gets far too difficult to progress any further. Multiple enemies, bullets everywhere, death coming from out of nowhere... is this a bug or is that just how the game is designed? Not even trying to play it on slow speeds alleviates any of the frustration.
TyeTheCzar: I'm playing this game on Easy mode, but after the first level, it gets far too difficult to progress any further. Multiple enemies, bullets everywhere, death coming from out of nowhere... is this a bug or is that just how the game is designed? Not even trying to play it on slow speeds alleviates any of the frustration.
1) Are you playing story mode or arcade mode?
2) If you're playing story mode, are you buying upgrades for your ship?
3) If you're playing arcade mode, are you collecting new weapons and powerup orbs (the purple orbs)?

If the answer to the above questions is yes, I can't think of any advice except practice. And use the keyboard if you're not already, mouse movement is slower.
TyeTheCzar: I'm playing this game on Easy mode, but after the first level, it gets far too difficult to progress any further. Multiple enemies, bullets everywhere, death coming from out of nowhere... is this a bug or is that just how the game is designed? Not even trying to play it on slow speeds alleviates any of the frustration.
The Arcade mode is a very good way to practice and to get familiar with the levels and all the enemies.
Best advice here is to avoid picking up the "Secret Level" icons. As far as I can tell, there's no way to skip/avoid playing the secret level directly after the level in which you find its hidden icon. Even on Easy, Secret Levels are REALLY HARD! The second standard level (Asteroid 1 or Asteroid 2) aren't anywhere near as bad. :) Also, make sure you collect as many DATA cubes as possible as these unlock new upgrades/ships/etc.

But don't get me wrong, this is a hard game. The majority of scrolling shoot em ups were designed to be nut-crackingly difficult. Especially games like Tyrian which were originally made back in the days when games weren't meant to be completed on your first play-through. You were supposed to work at it. And work at it. And cry. And scream at the TV and chew on your controller and headbutt your sister for interrupting just as you're about to break the million... well, sort of... but they were hard anyway. :D
Post edited June 26, 2011 by ArgentStar
Thanks, everyone.
While I know how hard many Shoot-em-ups really are, some parts in Tyrian seem too cheap to be fair. That's what really bugged me.
If the developers ever consider bringing out an HD remake, then some of the enemy placement and design(I feel that some things can be hard to see at first, which is really bad for the player) is definitely something they need to consider.
If you think that easy mode is hard then try typing "engage" on the title screen. You will see what "hard" really means. ;)
The best upgrade to get off the bat is Sonic Wave. Upgrade your Pulse Cannon until you can get a better weapon and get some options too (dual shot or single shot works). Remember to upgrade your shields and generator too.

Mouse control in this game is actually not bad, it helps you dodge things easily and pick up bonus items quick. If you can get used to it, it's a big help. Also, generally your shield can take a bit of a beating, just don't let it drain completely (hitting enemies with your ship is never a good idea, even with the best shield/ship in the game)

Some of the secret levels are good for getting points to upgrade your ship. Most of the time dying in them will not cause a Game Over, but dying will cause you to miss out on more points.

I've beaten the game a few times, but I'm a bit good at shoot em ups (not too good though) and the regenerating shield kind of helps if I blunder and hit a few bullets. Just keep at it and you'll eventually figure out how enemies and bosses attack.
Yes - don't pick the first secret level bonus. It was the HARDEST secret level of all.

The other thing is to buy a good generator and ship. And at certain part of the bonus stage, DO NOT SHOT at all. Just evade the bullet and let your ship generator repair your shield. And if your armour get too low, pick up the amour bonus.

This stage is soo hard that instead of trying to score point, you just evade part of it.
Well it depends on which "first secret level" you go to. There are three separate secret levels you can access from the first level. Bubbles and Holes are both CRAZY hard, and are best attempted after you've beaten the game. (Once you beat it, you start back at level one, with all of your upgrades and money intact.) Soh Jin, on the other hand, is only moderately hard and also gives you access to the second-best shield in the game, on the second level!

In other news, don't be afraid to put the game on "Slower" or "Slug Mode." The game runs MUCH faster on modern computers than it did back in the day. Playing on a faster setting may make the game move so quickly you don't have time to avoid huge obstacles, much less enemy ships or projectiles.
For me is different, the game is too easy on story mode.
When I updated my ship the game starting becoming very easy =P

Great Game anyway
ArgentStar: Best advice here is to avoid picking up the "Secret Level" icons. As far as I can tell, there's no way to skip/avoid playing the secret level directly after the level in which you find its hidden icon. Even on Easy, Secret Levels are REALLY HARD! The second standard level (Asteroid 1 or Asteroid 2) aren't anywhere near as bad. :) Also, make sure you collect as many DATA cubes as possible as these unlock new upgrades/ships/etc.

But don't get me wrong, this is a hard game. The majority of scrolling shoot em ups were designed to be nut-crackingly difficult. Especially games like Tyrian which were originally made back in the days when games weren't meant to be completed on your first play-through. You were supposed to work at it. And work at it. And cry. And scream at the TV and chew on your controller and headbutt your sister for interrupting just as you're about to break the million... well, sort of... but they were hard anyway. :D
lol very very true :)
this game is eary for me :P
I actually found the first level the hardest. Don't know how many times I had to try it.

Biggest thing that helped me was to upgrade my weapons off the bat. And then get weapons that spread out. There are some that throw out balls to the left and right and towards the top. I find that useful for clearing out enemies to the side that I don't notice. And then I add a strong centre weapon for those tough baddies.

Good Luck!
Funny how after almost decades since I last played I found this game very easy, but then again compared to "Bullet Hell" type of games which seem to be predominant these days, old school shooters are a breeze for someone who grew up playing 194X series.

Anyway, old post but bragging aside, maybe it helps someone else, this game is very easy once you spot the only factor that can actually hurt you in lower difficulties, which is having direct contact with enemy ships, any collision hurts way, waaaay more than bullets, so there's 2 things you can do, either memorize all stage patterns so you can easily avoid then or get a good Fan Type of Rear and Front weapon combo, so you can sit in the middle and have a greater view of your surroundings.

Something like, Proton on front, Wild Ball on rear and Micro Missiles on both sides, always remember to upgrade everything and you're pretty much set for everything on lower difficulties, I personally would go with the Pulse Cannon on the front to avoid anything coming at me on a straight line but that's taste I guess, also be ware of the shield meter, never let it drop past 25% of whatever is your maximum to avoid getting structural damage, just stop getting hit for a few seconds and let it recharge.

Good luck.
Post edited April 08, 2012 by Ashedown
bevinator: ...Bubbles and Holes are both CRAZY hard, and are best attempted after you've beaten the game...Soh Jin, on the other hand, is only moderately hard...
You think so? I've always found Bubbles much easier than the other two.