It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hi

I'm experiencing strange behaviour of the 360 controller when I try to use with Tyrian. The game recognizes it, but the direction and buttons seem to be erratic, not being possible even to calibrate it, or configure keys.

I don't know if it's a Tyrian or DosBox issue, or if I need a program to "map" the 360 controller to an old school 90's joystick.

¿Any experiences?
No posts in this topic were marked as the solution yet. If you can help, add your reply
CarloCoupe: Hi

I'm experiencing strange behaviour of the 360 controller when I try to use with Tyrian. The game recognizes it, but the direction and buttons seem to be erratic, not being possible even to calibrate it, or configure keys.

I don't know if it's a Tyrian or DosBox issue, or if I need a program to "map" the 360 controller to an old school 90's joystick.

¿Any experiences?
I second this issue - I have the exact same problem. The game is unplayable. I've searched for answers and haven't found any as of yet. Please help!
CarloCoupe: Hi

¿Any experiences?
UltimateHenry: I second this issue - I have the exact same problem. The game is unplayable. I've searched for answers and haven't found any as of yet. Please help!
Let's see if anyone can help us then :)
I use a SNES controller converted to USB, and although it worked at first, it acted similar to your problem later.

Would be nice to find a solution.
Is DosBox even compatible with the XBOX 360 controller?
If you want to actually use the Xbox 360 controller, I don't know how to help you.

If you just want to be able to play the game without having to unplug your controller, you can disable DOSBox from recognizing the controller while Tyrian is running. Go into the Tyrian folder, and open the game's .conf file (dosboxT2K.conf is probably the one you're looking for) in Notepad. Near the bottom is a section labeled "Joystick", the first argument under which should be:

joysticktype=auto

Change "auto" to "none" and save it.

Again, this disables the controller while Tyrian is running, meaning you'll have to play with either the keyboard or mouse. But the game will be playable.
I can play the game with the controller shut down (it's wireless) and using the keyboard, but the point of the post is trying to use the controller itself :)

Just for the record, the xbox360 controller is a PC version, I mean, it's fully compatible and made to work with it, at least with Windows.

Maybe it's a DosBox problem as someone noted.
Open DOSBox config, find joystick section, find entry that reads "timed=" If it's "true", change to false, if it's false change to true. I don't remember the default value, just make it different. Start the game with the stick plugged it and see if there's any change.

The joystick+dosbox issue is that by default calibration is set up to work at a particular CPU rate. When cycles are on auto or max, cycles can change as the load changes: calibaration screen, menus, in-game, intro - all get different speed and different stick input. When you flick the "timed" setting, the stick becomes stable.
CarloCoupe: I can play the game with the controller shut down (it's wireless) and using the keyboard, but the point of the post is trying to use the controller itself :)

Just for the record, the xbox360 controller is a PC version, I mean, it's fully compatible and made to work with it, at least with Windows.

Maybe it's a DosBox problem as someone noted.
Hmm, although Windows supports the 360 controller, the drivers are very bad and I don't think it counts as a normal controller. You could try using the free version of Xpadder to map the 360 controller to the keyboard.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Miscellaneous/Xpadder.shtml

The 360 controller works perfectly for things that support it directly and is generally bad for anything else.
Post edited December 29, 2010 by eyeball226
Just use an XPadder like program
grviper: Open DOSBox config, find joystick section, find entry that reads "timed=" If it's "true", change to false, if it's false change to true. I don't remember the default value, just make it different. Start the game with the stick plugged it and see if there's any change.

The joystick+dosbox issue is that by default calibration is set up to work at a particular CPU rate. When cycles are on auto or max, cycles can change as the load changes: calibaration screen, menus, in-game, intro - all get different speed and different stick input. When you flick the "timed" setting, the stick becomes stable.
Thanks a bunch. Your tip did work perfect for me. Also had the problem that the calibration just did not wanna work with my xbox 360 pad. So I did change the timed settings to the opposite like you told and it did work out perfectly after that (pad was the wired PC Version and OS is Win7 Ultimate 64 Bit).
grviper: Open DOSBox config, find joystick section, find entry that reads "timed=" If it's "true", change to false, if it's false change to true. I don't remember the default value, just make it different. Start the game with the stick plugged it and see if there's any change.

Thanks for the clue, worked for me. I didn't had a joystick section, so I created one in dosboxT2K.conf :

[joystick]
timed=false
joysticktype=auto

then I could perfectly play with my xbox controller.

Also thanks to RiffRaff1138.
Post edited January 11, 2014 by dasiggo
how do i launch my games?
terrysmith1167: how do i launch my games?
Since I'm assuming you're coming from a distributor with an automated client that works as a hub, I'll walk you through the process of installing and playing games bought on GOG.

It's easy, actually. First, go to My Account, on the gog.com top bar, then select My Games, click the game you wish to install on the digital shelf and download the installer (yes, DRM-free also means you have entire access and control over the purchased games' installers -- you can back them up as you please, as long as it is for your own personal use, and install them on whatever number of your machines as you see fit). As soon as the installer has finished downloading -- you can choose to either download them directly or via GOG's Download Manager, but do note the Download Manager is *NOT* a game client/launcher, it just manages downloads and notifies you of available updates -- just run it and then run the game either from the folder you installed it in, or from a shortcut, provided you didn't select the option not to create desktop shortcuts. Then, you can delete the installer, if you'd like to.

In short: Go to My Account -> My Games -> choose game -> download installer -> run installation -> play the game

Or are you having trouble launching Tyrian, in particular?
The way I fix the issue is to change the joystick type in DOSBox from "auto" to "fcs" (Thrustmaster). All you have to do afterwards is calibrate the joystick in the options and everything should work properly.
Post edited July 17, 2014 by AmethystViper