It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Hi,

I just tried to install Trine 1 & 2 on my 64 Bit Ubuntu MATE 18.04, and I wanted to share the solution for some missing libraries that prevent the start of the games.

For starters, this command installs the libraries that are listed on the store pages:

sudo apt install libc6:i386 libasound2:i386 libasound2-data:i386 libasound2-plugins:i386 libwrap0:i386 libopenal1:i386 \
libvorbisfile3:i386 libglu1-mesa:i386 libfreetype6:i386 libportaudio0:i386 libgtk2.0-0:i386 libuuid1:i386

(Two lines, but one command split by "\". Mind the libglu1-mesa:i386 instead of the wrongly named libglu1:i386 on the store page.)

Additionally, you'll have to install the package libpng12-0:i386, which is not part of the Ubuntu repositories of release 18.04 and newer anymore, as it was replaced by the newer libpng16-16:i386 which will not be recognised by Trine 1 & 2. Following these instructions, you'll have to download the deb package and install it manually.

1. Download the file libpng12-0_1.2.54-1ubuntu1.1_i386.deb from one of the mirrors listed here.
2. Install it either by the graphical package manager of your desktop environment or by this command run from the download directory:

sudo dkpg -i libpng12-0_1.2.54-1ubuntu1.1_i386.deb

Feel free to correct me, or add more fixes that you found, so others may find them here.

Cheers
V4V
Post edited December 25, 2020 by V4V
Two more additions:

A) To see any error messages when you start Trine 1 or 2 (or 3 for that matter) from the command line, you'll have to edit the files start.sh and game/bin/trine1_bin_starter.sh (replace the "1" with "2" or "3" for Trine 2 or 3). Remove "nohup" and ">/dev/null &" from their last line, and the launcher and game won't run in the background anymore, but in the terminal that you started them from.

This way, you may get vital hints about what is wrong or which library files are still missing.

B) If for example, after doing that, you see Trine 1 complaining about a missing ZLIB_1.2.9, you may also have to replace its libz.so.1 with a link to the system's version:

1. cd "~/GOG Games/Trine Enchanted Edition" # (the directory containing libz.so.1)
2. mv libz.so.1 libz.so.1.old
3. ln -s /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libz.so.1

Source: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/48306849/lib-x86-64-linux-gnu-libz-so-1-version-zlib-1-2-9-not-found
Post edited December 26, 2020 by V4V
Is there an updated version of this advice? I can't find libpng12-0_1.2.54-1ubuntu1.1_i386.deb anywhere for the life of me. Or am I better off trying to figure out a way to do this with wine?
Mailanka: Is there an updated version of this advice? I can't find libpng12-0_1.2.54-1ubuntu1.1_i386.deb anywhere for the life of me. Or am I better off trying to figure out a way to do this with wine?
These days I would recommend Proton (running the Windows versions through Proton on Linux) but of course that may not always work or be feasible.

I was able to find the file in question however, it's available on this mirror at least. Specific link to the file here.

I can try to help with further problems if they appear but it's been a good few years since I've last dabbled with Trine 1/2 on Linux proper, so I hope this helps...

- Joel, Frozenbyte team, developers of the Trine series
Post edited August 27, 2023 by JoelFB
Mailanka: Is there an updated version of this advice? I can't find libpng12-0_1.2.54-1ubuntu1.1_i386.deb anywhere for the life of me. Or am I better off trying to figure out a way to do this with wine?
JoelFB: These days I would recommend Proton (running the Windows versions through Proton on Linux) but of course that may not always work or be feasible.

I was able to find the file in question however, it's available on this mirror at least. Specific link to the file here.

I can try to help with further problems if they appear but it's been a good few years since I've last dabbled with Trine 1/2 on Linux proper, so I hope this helps...

- Joel, Frozenbyte team, developers of the Trine series
Wow, a Dev even! Thanks so much!

Unforunately, it seems Mint won't let me install the file as it's obsolete now, which explains things. It launches with Wine, though (I'm sure proton would be even better), and that makes sense: sort of run a mini virtual box to handle it. Thanks, however. I'm going to store the file in my game archives just in case. You've gone above and beyond!
I have had two errors with the Linux version:
1. Running Trine Enchanted Edition
./bin/trine1_linux_launcher_32bit: Trine Enchanted Edition/lib/libz.so.1: version `ZLIB_1.2.9' not found (required by /usr/lib32/libpng16.so.16)
(solved at first by copying over a newer version of zlib from the steam runtime directory (e.g. libz.so.1.2.11) into the trine subfolder named 'lib')

2. Running Trine Enchanted Edition
./bin/trine1_linux_launcher_32bit: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib32/libxcb-shm.so.0: undefined symbol: xcb_send_request_with_fds
(solved indefinitely by removing the subfolder 'lib' altogether)

I think the lib folder is a good idea, providing needed libraries which may not be available anymore on modern systems in the future for some reason. The problem is that most libraries are outdated and interfere with updated system libraries when running the game. Removing the folder after having put it aside into a .zip file solved all issues and the game launcher started immediately. I'm on Solus Linux (rolling release distro).
JoelFB: These days I would recommend Proton (running the Windows versions through Proton on Linux) but of course that may not always work or be feasible.
Yeah and these days i would recommend a pirate bay download. I'm sure you can earn money I owe you by other means if you try hard enough...

Sorry, but what kind of attitude is that? If the store page says it works on Ubuntu 18.04 or later it better had to work on Ubuntu 18.04 or later
On Debian i had to install libportaudio2:i386 instead of libportaudio0:i386
(I use PulseAudio instead of Jack even in Debian 12 Bookworm. Don't know if it matters)

I tried many things, but i think ultimately libportaudio2:i386 was that helped.

Based on error messages in Trine console log, i tried to guess package names, find amd64 packages that were already installed and then installed their i386 versions:

After getting error message "Failed to initialize SDL. The game will not start" i did this:
apt list libsdl* | grep installed
Then i installed a bunch of i386 versions of those, but it did not solve the issue. At the end i don't know if these are needed or not.

Then based on recommendation of the original poster in this thread i realized that libportaudio was missing
apt list libport* | grep installed
Then i installed .i386 versions for all of those.
But probably it would have been enough to add libportaudio2:i386 only.
I don't know because at the end i did not remove the others

Thank you everybody for this thread. It was great help