It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Although this game is not on GoG (yet?) but i've gotten a chance to play a large portion of the game over the last couple days. So i'll put out my thoughts.

---

Graphics are Beautiful. Breath-taking. Since my rig can handle the game on High/Ultra it looks really good, probably at any given time if you took screenshots only a few tiny tell-tale tidbits would hint that it's not real. When in instinct mode (black&white) you can't tell it's a computer game... except when something's glowing yellow or red.

Audio clips and samples are really good too. Some of the lore and historical objects found are actually quite interesting.

Facial animations are lacking even if the faces look great. Most jarring is probably when Lara is on the radio talking in a non-skippable cut-scene where she doesn't look like there's any real emotion to her, mostly her jaw moves up and down. Maybe they could have done something else...

CutScenes are okay, but the shakey-cam is annoying since it looks like someone's trying to capture the event on a cell phone. It's annoying. What's more annoying about the cut-scenes is there's cases you would have done something completely different. Against a cult room filled with 100 guys and you use a bow & arrow? Hell no! Assault rifle or Shotgun, and she had both! The scene also made her seem less skilled with the bow than she's been to this point, fumbling with her arrows. With her other weapons she could have taken out at lest a dozen of them, perhaps all of them if she backed up into that cavern and made it a choke-point. However since the 'main villan' is present he can't possibly get killed so the scene finishes up and dumps you somewhere else after Lara escapes. Although when Lara's watching the camcorder, it's a nice touch to see the battery life and time left on the video stay pretty consistent.

The game is predictable, in a nut shell. At least a dozen times i see a destination, perhaps a rope going over it with a rock face cliff under it and i'm like 'they're going to come out of nowhere and cut the line'. And it happens, then i have to catch myself using the climbing axe (no big deal, just press X)

All in all it feels very much a hallway-shooter. Yeah it's open looking, but you can only go one direction (unless you want to backtrack and find GPS caches and fulfill tiny little mini-quests). There's tombs, but the puzzles are minimal and seem more timing based rather than complex. And then quite often you get locked in an area so you can't backtrack or escape and you have to follow the pre-scripted story.

Pointless jumpscares. There's nowhere that someone can come from, and yet they do, like at the beginning where they are 'there to help you'. Or coming out of the ceiling and charging you when you are being completely silent. Quite often the encounters feel forced, and you can't just sneak by the enemies, you usually have to fight and kill them all. Some of the scenes are fixed QTE's that you have to complete correctly or die and then backtrack like 15-30 seconds and try again...

Dirty fighting skills... Useless. Also when i try to use the weapon mastery skills (for finishing moves), and i get unexpected results or haven't had a good chance to get good at them. I sneak up on an enemy, pull out a silenced pistol, hit Y, what happens? She pulls out her climbing axe and takes him out.... Scrambling more often than not doesn't do anything useful.

Ambushes are confusing and are merely jumpscares when you enter an area. Unless you're making a racket they shouldn't know you're coming, and yet they are ready for you (or think they are).

AI is generally unimaginative unless they are actively fighting, often standing around for no reason. Sometimes they are programmed only to look away so you can 'sneak by them', then they complain when they can't find you...

Some of the audio is funny as you listen to the cult calling out. 'It's just one girl!' 'Well that girl is kicking our asses!', and 'She's got a weapon!', like somehow she never had one before this point...

[spoiler]
Finally the story is confusing, and to a degree stupid. Certain obvious mistakes that should have been dealt with right away, like when Lara comments Dr. Wittman's 'chased for miles' and hadn't broken a sweat, and earlier when he had basically free reign to walk among the cultists.

Just stuff you would have done differently would have given you a better result...
[/spoiler]

Final Thoughts: To me it's merely an okay game. If it comes to GoG and goes on sale for $5 (like it was on steam like last week) i'd pick it up. Beyond that, the game has no replay value and much like Beyond Two Souls, once done you put it down and never touch it again.

edit: Finished the game... Opinion stays the same...
Post edited December 07, 2014 by rtcvb32
I think the game was very good. I liked the whole stranded-atmosphere and think some of the game mechanics felt rewarding. The storyline was gripping and well-written.
The fallen-into-a-river part was annoying but that is okay since it is over in a few minutes.
Actually, I found the game good enough to forgive SquareEnix that they destroyed and exploited the FF series (and still do).
First and foremost this is a great game. If you want an excellent uncharted clone this is it. But, and this is a big but, it is not a good Tomb Raider game at all. I only say this not to devalue at all the wonderful work Crystal Dynamics put into this, but tomb raider requires actual Tombs to raid with puzzle, and platform forming mechanics. This game has virtually neither of those. It's a well written well scripted action adventure game where you shoot or sneak from o e cut-scene to the next.
Post edited January 23, 2015 by Presbytier7
I didn't like it, for the reasons already mentioned. It's only 'Tomb Raider' in the title, nothing more. Personally, I think the first Crystal Dynamics trilogy (Legend, Anniversary, Underworld) is where the series was at its best. Hopefully we'll see those on GOG soon.
I hated the old Tomb Raider games, but the 2013 Tomb Raider is one of my favorite games of all time; (and I have been playing PC games since 1982.) The 2013 Tomb Raider along with the 2012 XCOM are two reboots that are, IMO, so much superior to the original classics. i.e., I also hated the original XCOM but loved XCOM: Enemy Wthin. Steam registered that I had clocked in over 1,000 hours of the new XCOM. Imagine that.

Admittedly the 2013 Tomb Raider is an Uncharted clone. However, it has better combat mechanics and gameplay than Uncharted games, but Uncharted still has better stories and (supporting) characters. The 2013 Tomb Raider is a solo adventure - Lara is on her own during the whole adventure. There is minimal interactions between Lara Croft and the supporting characters. In the Uncharted series, players get to know the supporting casts Elena, Sullivan and Chloe very well. They followed your main character Nathan around - and occasionally led Nathan - and bantered with Nathan around as parts of the game. That is the biggest difference between Tomb Raider 2013 and Uncharted that stood out. Personally, I like the new rebooted Lara Croft character more than Nathan Drake; Nathan is such a cliche. However, I like the Uncharted supporting casts more than the Tomb Raider 2013's forgettable supporting characters.

Conclusion: the 2013 Tomb Raider is an Uncharted clone. Uncharted still has better stories, better writings and characters, while Tomb Raider has better graphics, better combat mechanics and better gameplay; (that is, until Uncharted 4 comes out.) Both used very cinematic execution. The 2013 Tomb Raider is especially a welcome addition to the PC gaming world: because the PC gaming world currently does not have anything else like the Uncharted series. The PC has plenty of - IMO too many - 3D puzzle-platformer like the old Tomb Raider series. So PC gaming do not need another 3D puzzle-platformer. What PC gaming needs is the 2013 Tomb Raider to fill the "Uncharted" void. PC gaming needs an Uncharted more than the old Tomb Raider puzzle-platforming gameplay. That is why I am glad that the Tomb Raider has been rebooted and is taking the current new direction, which is a mixture of cover shooter/stealth/action adventure.

The 2013 Tomb Raider reboot is unlike any of the old Tomb Raider games. IMO, it is better.
Post edited February 24, 2015 by ktchong
Tomb Raider 2013 is one hell of a game... Just a really crappy tomb raider game. And it became quite repetitive to me. I enjoyed it (in fact I got most of the achivements) but the heavy shooting/stealth segments were so annoying... and the characters were like "meh". As far as characters, I prefer the guys in the CD Trilogy (Zip, Alister and the butler). The Core games were slow, pretty tedious, but really atmospheric and you were in fact, raiding tombs (except for part of TR2, TR3 and half of TR5... 6 didn't happen...). The Crystal Trilogy was a much faster, almost comic-like experience (which I enjoyed) and in fact those 3 are my favorites (specially Underworld). But the reboot as much as I can say it was really cool, I can also say it just doesn't have anything that makes it a TR game (too many outdoor areas, too many enemies, too many collectibles, not enough tombs and really short ones, and the story was trying to be too serious... TR was never about seriousness, in fact Uncharted isn't serious either). If the Rise of the Tomb Raider is the same as the reboot I will not play it and will leave TR in the past. If it fixes some of the things that fans complained (CD claims "tombs are back" as well as "globe throtting") then hell yeah =) Of course, they can't leave the new fans out either... but a more mixed experience between the new and old would be awesome :)
Post edited February 08, 2015 by jonridan
rtcvb32: Final Thoughts: To me it's merely an okay game. If it comes to GoG and goes on sale for $5 (like it was on steam like last week) i'd pick it up. Beyond that, the game has no replay value and much like Beyond Two Souls, once done you put it down and never touch it again.

edit: Finished the game... Opinion stays the same...
Got the game for free from PlayStation Plus. I didn't get very far before becoming frustrated with what felt like constant gun battles. I think there were less gun battles in Uncharted 3, heh. Game looks and plays fantastic, but (like many here feel), it's not a Tomb Raider game.

I've played a number of the Tomb Raider series from Angel of Darkness on up. I think I liked the Legend/Anniversary games the most. I do have the original five from here and they are on my backlog to play later. Along with the Tex Murphy games, the rest of Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape: Torment...
rtcvb32: CutScenes are okay, but the shakey-cam is annoying since it looks like someone's trying to capture the event on a cell phone. It's annoying.
Not to mention for me it's nausea inducing.

Flynn
Post edited February 19, 2015 by FlynnArrowstarr
Good to see lots of replies i never got a notification for :P
ktchong: Admittedly the 2013 Tomb Raider is an Uncharted clone. However, it has better combat and gameplay than Uncharted games, but Uncharted still has better stories and (supporting) characters.
Ugg, i couldn't stand uncharted... I gave it a chance and i hated the characters, i hated the puzzles and the forced linearity, i hated everything about it...

Tomb Raider at least i could finish, and you had some semblance of choice of how far back you could backtrack and go.
I enjoyed it. It actually made Lara Croft into a sympthethic character . It is also one of the few checkpoint save games that did not drive me crazy,since I HATE being unable to save at will.
FlynnArrowstarr: Not to mention for me it's nausea inducing.
Coming back to this game being free on EGS has made me come to a singular conclusion... the game is unplayable because of the shaky cam.