It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

voodoo47: NewDark 1.24 has been released, and TFix has been updated accordingly. small/light GOG/steam patches will follow shortly.
I'm reinstalling Thief Gold with TFix again (such a great game, it needs to be played again!) Just to let you know, Windows Smartscreen is "warning" me that TFix could put my computer at risk.

EDIT: I realize now that the Smartscreen program does this for any "rarely downloaded" EXE file. I assume it is normal, then
Post edited March 25, 2016 by Batman55
Hmm.. it looks like a lot of the textures in the game are still low-res (original).. are there any good texture packs compatible with TFix, which enhance rather than "change" the look? I would still want the original flavor of the game intact, with any mod I use!

One last question.. is TFix eventually going to incorporate more HD textures on its own?
while TFix offers the option to install a set of higher res (T2 style) textures, they are still lowres by today's standard. the currently recommended hd texture pack is the NecroAge (see "installing additional mods" in the TTLG topic), while slightly darker in tone, it's a bit more TG friendly than EP2. and it does look great.

there are no plans to include hd textures in TFix in the foreseeable future - my intention is to keep the patcher small and fix oriented, and the visuals close to vanilla. besides, you just need to drop the texture pack of your choice to the game folder to go hd (a TFix patched install is ready for this, and will activate it automatically, no manual edits necessary), so there really isn't any point in complicating things (and making the TFix download weight almost 1GB).

and yeah, as TFix is an exe that modifies things, and also includes several files with a "thief" name, it can make (dumb) antivirii go bonkers.
voodoo47: while TFix offers the option to install a set of higher res (T2 style) textures, they are still lowres by today's standard. the currently recommended hd texture pack is the NecroAge (see "installing additional mods" in the TTLG topic), while slightly darker in tone, it's a bit more TG friendly than EP2. and it does look great.

there are no plans to include hd textures in TFix in the foreseeable future - my intention is to keep the patcher small and fix oriented, and the visuals close to vanilla. besides, you just need to drop the texture pack of your choice to the game folder to go hd (a TFix patched install is ready for this, and will activate it automatically, no manual edits necessary), so there really isn't any point in complicating things (and making the TFix download weight almost 1GB).

and yeah, as TFix is an exe that modifies things, and also includes several files with a "thief" name, it can make (dumb) antivirii go bonkers.
Makes good darn sense! I'll be checking out the NecroAge mod. Although, I think there is a kind of rustic charm with the old-fashioned low-res look, that works on its own.

Do you think you were *meant* to work on this game, Voodoo?
funnily enough, not really - I've picked it up because there was nobody else.
Well I went through it again and the NecroAge mod is perfect! Sharpens things up nicely while not detracting from the original "flavor" of the game, in the least. Highly recommended.

As for the game itself, it simply wasn't as good the second time around... few games ever are. The problems plaguing it in my first play-through were even worse this time around--these are all issues that would be unforgivable in a modern game, all of them related to cheap/poor game design.

The Lost City was a bitch, again.. while the concept and look is awesome, the convoluted pathways combined with loads of those God-awful crocodile things... I felt like I was wasting my time for most of it. The Thieves Guild level design was crap, too.. but you know this already. Must have wasted an hour getting lost.

Worst of all is the puzzle in the Hammerite temple mission.. it's like the game designers said "I can't come up with much content for this mission.. oh, how about I put in 5 switches in strange places, and make the player find them all in 5 minutes?" Worst. Puzzle. Ever. If I didn't have the YouTube "let's play" video both times, I would have simply quit the game.

So.. while I remember liking "Thief 2" less than the first, I might still try it again. Is the Necro-Age mod just as good for Thief 2? Any other interesting updates for it?

thanks again
yeah, Necro looks great with T2 as well. as for interesting stuff, I'm looking into adding interactive candles into T2, so if you liked them and don't mind waiting a few days (week?) there will be that as well.

making the undercover puzzle less tedious is on the list, but no eta.

also, the restored T2 Demo now has a moddb page.
Oy, Taffer!
Broken link(s) in the first post under item: "IMPORTANT!!!"
I suspect a little mishap with the URL tags...
yeah, the forum engine's url parsing is not the best. fixedish.
Is there any sort of patch/fix for Thief 1 that fixes the hitboxes? Getting real tired of my sword slicing thorough Ape/Bugbeast heads and torsos without doing anything. Same with the spiders' ridiculously tiny hitbox. Never thought I would find something worse than the monkeys from SS2...

On the flip side, is there any way to alter the player's hitbox? Apebeasts constantly double or triple tap if I attempt to melee. It's also pretty absurd that I run as slow/slower carrying the sword than I do with a body, and that the Apebeasts swing 2-3x as fast.

>inb4 stealth
Yeah. I know. Let's just...skip the lecture.
yes to the former (map edits required. not happening in the main TFix branch though, the vanilla people would eat me alive for such a change), no to the latter.
TFix 1.27 is up.
Thanks for the work put in updating this and linking here, helped save me some time looking into it and what I'd want to use with my GoG install.

I started playing Thief Gold assuming GoG had all the community bugfixes installed already. It turns out without using TFix from in here you miss out on bits of Garrett's dialogue for some reason. Only discovered it comparing to a playthrough I watched after finishing the first level.

Garrett was silent on a standard GoG install when discovering the first group of guards where he's actually supposed to comment there's too many to get past easily. And on another bit later with the drunk guard ("Could you possibly be any MORE helpful?" as he steals his key) despite trying to trigger it in my game. (I'd link the playthrough but this is my first time posting on the GoG forums, it doesn't want me to post links lol. It was a playthrough by a YouTuber called aRdW.)

TFix 1.27 sorted that right out. It's a bit odd because he does have a few comments later on that triggered fine. Just thought I'd post this here so people wanting the full experience don't miss out, I googled it a little but didn't find anyone talking about missing dialogue in Thief Gold. The standard GoG install works nicely with not many issues apparent, but you might miss out on Garrett's snarky humour here and there without this latest community patch and that'd be a shame.
technically, it's restored content, and you want to be careful with that as far as official builds are concerned (though the "too many guards" bark should trigger, I'll have a look at that //nope, it's a straight TFix addition as well, so all is working as intended).

with TFix, I have much more freedom in that area, as all the potential hate (and yes, there has been some) will be directed at myself, not GOG. so you'll always get more stuff with TFix full (whether you like it or not) when compared to Lite (=GOG build).
Post edited September 30, 2019 by voodoo47
voodoo47: technically, it's restored content, and you want to be careful with that as far as official builds are concerned (though the "too many guards" bark should trigger, I'll have a look at that //nope, it's a straight TFix addition as well, so all is working as intended).

with TFix, I have much more freedom in that area, as all the potential hate (and yes, there has been some) will be directed at myself, not GOG. so you'll always get more stuff with TFix full (whether you like it or not) when compared to Lite (=GOG build).
Ah, I see. That's why I was confused thinking it might have been a bug. I did wonder after making my post whether it might be like my experience with the community patches for Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines that offers similar Lite and Full patches, according to peoples tastes. (Though probably not changes on the same scale, it's been a few years since I played VTMB)

I can definitely see the logic behind offering it like that and having GoG use the Lite version, that's a good way to balance things out for people who may want a more 'pure' playthrough. But me personally, I always dig content like this restored back into the game, so thanks again for making it as convenient as this to be able to enjoy it this way. I'm having alot of fun with my first playthrough with this patch after being curious about the game for so many years, but having problems with it working right on my older PC.
Post edited October 01, 2019 by AgentPiltdown