It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

the borderlines between fixes and enhancements are sometimes murky, but there is nothing to be confused about - you get the game from GOG, steam, old cd or whatever, run the patcher, choose whatever your poison is, and rainbows and unicorns fall out.
also, the NecroAge hires pack has been updated - the new version resolves some texture problems in Cragscleft and adds a lot of T1/TG exclusive stuff, making it THE officially recommended pack to be used with a TFixed Thief install.

the latest TFix is NecroAge ready, just drop the NecroAge.crf archive into your root Thief folder.
Post edited May 02, 2015 by voodoo47
Hi Guys,

Trying to get vanilla Thief GOLD working, with widescreen resolution. What am I doing wrong?

1. Downloaded and installed Thief GOLD (setup_thief_gold_2.0.0.46.exe).

2. Copied the files from Backup into the installation directory.

3. Downloaded and installed TFix_1.21a.exe. Installing only the OldDark Legacy Engine.

4. Edited old.cfg and ddfix.ini:

;Screen resolution
;Must be 800x600 or greater
gWidth=1920
gHeight=1080

5. Launched the game. Menu works, select start training and the game crashes to desktop.
Tried something else that seemed to work.

1. Downloaded and installed Thief GOLD (setup_thief_gold_2.0.0.46.exe).

2. Copied the files from Backup into the installation directory.

3. Downloaded and installed DarkWidescreen-v6r3.zip.

5. Launched the game and it works!

I wonder if all the other graphical effects work as intended. Was there fog in the original game? I see there's extra options, fog being one of them, in the New Dark version. Were all those features present in original game?
Post edited May 11, 2015 by daniel_carvalho
the TG NewDark options menu is a clone of the T2 version, the new options work, but the effects need to be implemented into the missions first.

no idea what are you trying to accomplish, but even though the legacy engine is included in TFix (and it works - well, sort of), you really shouldn't be using it unless there is absolutely no other way around (or if you want to do something extremely specific) - currently, running TG under NewDark is superior to running under oldDark in every imaginable way.

also, the oldDark note still applies - feel free to mess around, but don't complain if things go south real quick.
Post edited May 11, 2015 by voodoo47
voodoo47: the TG NewDark options menu is a clone of the T2 version, the new options work, but the effects need to be implemented into the missions first.

no idea what are you trying to accomplish, but even though the legacy engine is included in TFix (and it works - well, sort of), you really shouldn't be using it unless there is absolutely no other way around (or if you want to do something extremely specific) - currently, running TG under NewDark is superior to running under oldDark in every imaginable way.

also, the oldDark note still applies - feel free to mess around, but don't complain if things go south real quick.
Basically I want to run the original game, just with the technical fixes so that it works on modern systems. For example, runs in Windows 7 and supports widescreen resolutions. Not interested in any enhancements, artwork or data updates, post-Looking Glass bug fixes, Thief 2 features, increased colour depth, etc...

So if the oldDark delivers everything the original game did when it came out, but can work in widescreen. I'm happy.

Hope I'm being clear. If my approach will not achieve my goal, please let me know.
Post edited May 12, 2015 by daniel_carvalho
just deselect all the mods when patching up and run the regular exe. that will get you very close to vanilla without all the bad stuff.
voodoo47: just deselect all the mods when patching up and run the regular exe. that will get you very close to vanilla without all the bad stuff.
Even deselect oldDark?

Because if I do that and run the regular .exe, it seems to use New Dark? Extended graphics options (fog, weather, etc..). Am I right? Is that what I should be seeing, are you saying that's the best, New Dark, but everything else should be close to vanilla.
Post edited May 12, 2015 by daniel_carvalho
yes, that's exactly it, use NewDark with all mods deselected, that will get you vanilla look, and all the benefits of the updated engine, like normal resolutions, NOT crashing all the time, better framerates etc.

again, oldDark is not meant for any type of regular use, it might be useful in case some very old and very broken fan mission absolutely refuses to run under NewDark, but apart from that, it's there just because I could add it easily, and because I know it made my biggest fan Xmodule from TTLG happy (now he can fly on his magic blackjack into infinity and beyond). I also kind of like the idea that TFix(ed Thief install) now works under win95.
Need help with Thief Gold (Universal update 2.03. included). Every time I try to play after clicking new game, I end up with a black screen with a tiny screen in the upper left corner where I can see a piece of the game; menu screen and intro movie works though.
I'm new to PC gaming so I really don't know what to do or which of the older posts pertains to my issue. I'm playing off a laptop with an intel core i7 + a nvidia Geforce GT 540M if that helps; also using window 7.
Post edited May 14, 2015 by doa570047
make sure to run the game on the geforce card, not on the integrated intel. check your gpu control panel.
I found my NVIDIA Control Panel, but I don't know what to look for from here. I can't tell if the game is running on the geforce card or on the integrated intel (again I'm new at this so everything looks like voodoo magic to me right now). The NVIDIA control panel looks like this:

-3D Settings
->Adjust image settings with preview
->Manage 3D settings
->Set PhysX configuration

-Video
->Adjust video color settings
->Adjust video image settings

EDIT: Found a video, would this work? I need the latest NVIDIA Driver (Latest ver. 350.12)?
On youtube: "How to play games on Nvidia card instead on a Integrated card." by MA$TERASSASSIN
Post edited May 15, 2015 by doa570047
I'm very sure you are running on the intel right now. check here.
GOT IT!!! Though I only played 1 second of the game before quitting to type this post, I can actually see the game. Thank you so much for pointing me in the write direction.
TFix 1.21b is out - mostly FM related improvements (replaced one broken candle model that was causing trouble in some FMs, enabled some NVscript magic globally), but also some mission fixes (small tweaks to textures and objects, fixed up the sequence in Undercover where AI catches player stealing - a wtf are you doing motion will be played, and then the AI will proceed to smash the players' skull as it should. not all the recently reported problems have been fixed though - they will be sorted out next time). a recommended update.