It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

yes - the dmls in the default GOG version only fix bugs (that were caused by switching to the new engine), strictly no enhancements - and the new sky is definitely an (resource) enhancement. one could argue that the improper tiling can be considered as "broken", but there is a trillion of badly tiled or placed textures in the game, and the only way of fixing those is a massive overhaul - something I aim to do via TFix.

basically, the default GOG version should play as closely to the original as possible, and the user should not encounter issues that were not present in the old engine.

TFix represents my vision of Thief, and while I am quite strict, I had to make some choices here and there - and some users will not agree with those (one good example is the fireshadow - it's actually present in the vanilla T1 resource files, so I have decided to use it even for those who run the non-gold version of the game. so, when you patch up your non-gold version of Thief with TFix 1.17beta, you will get fireshadows in Bonehoard and Cathedral. LGS obviously planned to place them there, if not, they would not be in the resources). therefore, the full version of TFix should always remain as an optional install.
Post edited July 11, 2013 by voodoo47
Cool. I like the fact that GOG is going with a base vanilla options on graphics and features; other than a few cosmetic things that NewDark changes in some of the menu interface options and settings (and probably fixing some of the classic bugs (?)) its mostly the same. It's only a little strange to see options for weather in Thief Gold menus due to NewDark (when vanilla never had weather), but does nothing to effect gameplay.

I really appreciate 'widescreen' modes being incorporated into the graphics menu, as they make the game look better on native resolutions (and do nothing to drastically change the gameplay).

I like the fact that the fan mod options are still out there for people want them, but separate and optional. They are easy to get to and install, when I feel like playing something different from Vanilla.

I certainly appreciate the fixes in Thief 2 where some of the gameplay and visual breaking bugs should have been fixed... Fog issues in Life of the Party, and fixing the broken treasures in a few levels.
Post edited July 12, 2013 by Baggins
I could do some basic cleanup for T2 as well (yeah, that broken fog should definitely be fixed) - will ask the GOG support whether they would be interested in this.

not sure what do you mean by broken treasures though.
There is a treasure in the first level of Thief 2, and I think one or two more in the Lost City, that became 'trapped' under architecture during one of the original games patches.

It made it impossible to get 100% of the treasures on those levels.

I think there are a couple of fan modded version of the levels that fixed those (these I think are included in the tafferpatcher installation package but can also be picked up individually from another site).

I always felt those were annoying bugs that definitely needed to be fixed and did nothing to interfere with "vanilla" gameplay, and restored original gameplay. I wouldn't mind seeing them all get added into the GOG release since they restore functionality and make the game complete.

Other worthy fixes I think Modders have done is restore some of the scripted events that have broken over the years on modern machines. So that you can overhear conversations that went missing again.
Post edited July 12, 2013 by Baggins
ah, you mean in T2 - yes, and TafferPatcher addresses those problems. to replicate those fixes with dmls would be quite complicated though.
Post edited July 12, 2013 by voodoo47
voodoo47: I could do some basic cleanup for T2 as well (yeah, that broken fog should definitely be fixed) - will ask the GOG support whether they would be interested in this.

not sure what do you mean by broken treasures though.
That would be nice; the version GOG uploaded has anti-aliasing and slow down issues compared to Thief GOLD. Also what exactly is a dml ? Are they mission patches, bug fixs, object placement or what?
yes, they are small patches that can be used to fix up object issues without actually modifying the mission itself. as for T2, I have already submitted a cfg file that fixes the mouse stutter and re-enables FSAA, but guess the support did not have enough time to have a look just yet.
------SLIGHT SPOILER FOR HAUNTED CATHEDRAL------

http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/1669/j3ce.jpg
http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/6171/ehq2.jpg
http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/6250/8q2o.jpg
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/1934/tgv9.jpg
http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/6804/s6za.jpg

I found a wall right next to the ladder that you can walk to in that little room in Haunted Cathedral that if you enter you'll fall through the floor and if you're luck or unlucky you'll fall through the entire map which I did once, I couldn't replicate it after that.

This is with 2.0.2.47 and TGFix 1.16 (not a) and hotfix for Cathedral mission but I didn't restart the mission after the hotfix so maybe that's what it fixed, I don't know.
Post edited July 15, 2013 by Nirth
ISSUE ALERT.

Okay, so I reinstalled Thief from GOG and patched it using the new patcher, and when I ran TFix 116a it gave me something about "there no valid installation of thief here and it was pointed to the proper directory in C:\GoG Games
\Thief Gold,

the 117 Beta 2 also gave me the same error.
make sure the exe is "thief.exe", not something else.
voodoo47: make sure the exe is "thief.exe", not something else.
worked thank you

yeah the most recent update renames the thief.exe to Thief-ND.exe
Post edited August 17, 2013 by Lord_Kane
Just got this and applied TFix... I suppose I shouldn't complain, but I was expecting something more along the lines of the System Shock 2 overhaul...

It's hard for me to get immersed in the game when it has that antiquated look... it just looks and feels "old"... I suppose the TFix does a lot of things beyond the textures, but I can't get past it.

I'll give the game a try, but after playing a game from 2009, it's hard to lower my standards!
TFix is mainly about compatibility, usability, and bugfixes. the graphics enhancements are only very mild.
"I'll give the game a try, but after playing a game from 2009, it's hard to lower my standards!"

To be fair Thief 1 & 2, have always looked dated, even when it came out. At first the graphics turned me away. But once I got into the gameplay, and the atmosphere pulled me in. The game has timeless gameplay, and features that aren't replicated in many other games out there.
Batman55: Just got this and applied TFix... I suppose I shouldn't complain, but I was expecting something more along the lines of the System Shock 2 overhaul...

It's hard for me to get immersed in the game when it has that antiquated look... it just looks and feels "old"... I suppose the TFix does a lot of things beyond the textures, but I can't get past it.

I'll give the game a try, but after playing a game from 2009, it's hard to lower my standards!
Just to throw this out there, incase you are interested and hadn't heard, there is a new HD texture pack being developed by Gecko over on the TTLG forums. He has said it will come out this month, but there really is a lot to be seen yet on the release. It does however look pretty in his provided screenshots.