It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

DarthCruciare: I saw that Thief Gold had been updated, so I downloaded it. To my great delight, found that the cinematics FINALLY work in game. However, when trying to install the fix, I got exactly the same problem. My folder was C:\Games\Thief GOLD and it still couldn't find it. I assumed, correctly, that I couldn't be the only one with this problem. Anybody have any ideas?
GoatBoy: The fix look for the Thief.exe file, the new GOG installer names the executable ThiefND.exe (or something like that, can't remember well). THere should be a "backup" folder inside the Thief installation folder: just copy the two files in there to the main folder, than patch. It worked for me.
Hey Voodoo47, I'm highly anticipating playing Thief Gold for the very first time this weekend. I'm an immense fan of the original Deus Ex (particularly of the stealth aspect) and would like to experience the "best version" of this undoubted masterpiece.

I'm finding it somewhat difficult to ascertain as to whether GOG are now including your Tfix 1.16 installed in their version, or whether I need to download and install it separately from TTLG.

Furthermore, there seems to be an issue you folks are reporting about the wrong .exe being selected/not detecting Tfix properly? Has this issue been resolved in the GOG download after you submitted the fix for them?

In short, am I good to go with just downloading GOG Thief Gold, already having your TFIX 1.16 integrated and functioning properly?

Thank you for you time
3aleksandar3: snip
GOG installer uses only New Dark, not the whole TFix.

To install Thief follow this order:
- download and install Thief GOLD Windows Installer;
- download and install Thief GOLD Universal update;
- download and install TFix.

I found a couple of minor issues (the patcher creates an icon in the desktop without asking, and they messed up a bit the registry) but overall it works properly, and the game is much better with this patches.
yes, the detection issue has been fixed in the last GOG update. the GOG version of Thief Gold includes a set of fixes that make sure no critical or major issues are encountered - you can call it TFix light, if you want.

the same set of fixes, plus some more tweaks, is included in the full version of TFix. if you "just want to play the game and have fun", you should go for the full version of TFix (after applying the latest GOG update). if you need to see the game in its original state, including all the flaws (for a retro review, for example), stick with the GOG version, without TFix.
Post edited July 04, 2013 by voodoo47
voodoo47: yes, the detection issue has been fixed in the last GOG update. the GOG version of Thief Gold includes a set of fixes that make sure no critical or major issues are encountered - you can call it TFix light, if you want.

the same set of fixes, plus some more tweaks, is included in the full version of TFix. if you "just want to play the game and have fun", you should go for the full version of TFix (after applying the latest GOG update). if you need to see the game in its original state, including all the flaws (for a retro review, for example), stick with the GOG version, without TFix.
Thank you for your insight, guys. So it sounds like after installing GOG Thief Gold, then the update patch, then Tfix 1.16 from TTLG, I'll be good to go! Glad to hear there is no longer any potentially confusing exe. recognition issue that could hamstring my experience.

As an aside, am I right in understanding that the NewDark component included now in the Tfix patch is responsible for the widescreen resolution/ratio support (engine modernization), and that it is in fact NOT included in the GOG version (higher resolution)?

Irregardless, I'm always thrilled when a dedicated community produces fantastic patches that revitalize classics- particularly when they are compiled in such a convenient all-in-one patch! I'll definitely go with your recommended install order Voodoo47- can't wait!
Post edited July 04, 2013 by 3aleksandar3
yes, it's NewDark, and yes, it's part of the basic GOG install now, so you should be running smoothly whether you decide to apply TFix or not.
voodoo47: yes, it's NewDark, and yes, it's part of the basic GOG install now, so you should be running smoothly whether you decide to apply TFix or not.
Thanks Voodoo47 for your response. I will definitely install your Tfix 1.16 patch above the GOG patched version. Time to embrace my inner kleptomaniac!

By the way Voodoo47, is there any further big update down the pipeline for thief/thief 2 that would further improve visuals/functionality? I saw something of the sort alluded to on TTLG. If so, is it close to release ( is there a reason to hold off on my first play-through)?
I'm planning to revamp all TG/T1 missions, fixing all the small errors, anomalies, misplaced objects etc, but this will take a long time - I would be surprised if I were finished one year from now on. no releases are planned in the near future.

as for the engine updates, they are the work of a mystery man that clothes in black feathers, speaks french, likes cheese and riddles, and nobody really knows when/whether he drops the next version of the engine right into our foxy faces.
voodoo47: I'm planning to revamp all TG/T1 missions, fixing all the small errors, anomalies, misplaced objects etc, but this will take a long time - I would be surprised if I were finished one year from now on. no releases are planned in the near future.

as for the engine updates, they are the work of a mystery man that clothes in black feathers, speaks french, likes cheese and riddles, and nobody really knows when/whether he drops the next version of the engine right into our foxy faces.
Gotcha- I'm in the clear then. Man am I excited to start my first play-through this weekend!.

Amazing work by this mysterious figure. He may not be the modder that we deserve, but he's the modder that we need.
Post edited July 04, 2013 by 3aleksandar3
hotfix for the Cathedral mission:

mission7 - Cathedral (5 july 2013)

will work for both GOG and TFixed version of the game, just drop the file into your Thief folder.
Post edited July 05, 2013 by voodoo47
voodoo47: hotfix for the Cathedral mission:

mission7 - Cathedral (5 july 2013)

will work for both GOG and TFixed version of the game, just drop the file into your Thief folder.
Nice! So just drop this .dml right into the main Thief install directory, or in a particular sub-directory?
main directory. if you are already playing the mission, it will have to be restarted for the changes to take effect.
voodoo47: main directory. if you are already playing the mission, it will have to be restarted for the changes to take effect.
Awesome! Thanks for the fix!
3aleksandar3: Man am I excited to start my first play-through this weekend!
I recommend playing at night in a dimly lit room.
3aleksandar3: Man am I excited to start my first play-through this weekend!
UniversalWolf: I recommend playing at night in a dimly lit room.
Will do. I'm thinking by candlelight...
I've got my copy of Thief Gold perfectly set-up and good to go thanks to you guys (including the mission 7 fix Voodoo47 dropped in this thread).

Quick question- in audio options, what do you guys recommend the audio channel setting be set to? What does it do exactly? I think it defaults to 16, and goes up to 40.

I'm using a good pair of M-Audio reference speakers, but they're 2.1 ( not 5 or 7 channel surround).

Also, what's the "fogging" setting in video options do?