Maybe, the new one could have better results?
I used to have no trouble running it with 2.0.2 and d3d11 explicitly disabled via dlloverrides (with d3d11, my best result was with 2.15+staging, where it didn't crash, and displayed water correctly, but failed to display any characters on the map). I just tried right now, though, and get nothing but a gray screen (sometimes with cursor change). I'm not aware of any changes since the last time I tested successfully, so I don't really know what to say. Maybe I forgot to test the last time it updated. I suppose I could mess with it a bit and see if I can get it running again.
Way late to reply, sorry.
I actually abandoned searching resolving issues about Thea, until today, and I did what you mentioned: disabling d3d11.dll with wine 3.5, and everything seems to work fine! (the old boxed 1.15.1605 and the current gog 1.20.3919) Thanks!
characters and monsters appear on the map, water seems fine, no glitches.
PS: the current gog version 1.20.3919 uses actually Unity 5.4.5p2, and trying with native binaries fails (old pink screen with shader errors), but well it works with wine.