It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I love the combat.

If you can't handle it, switch to Easy... or to Insane and when you die, RIP!
Post edited May 20, 2011 by RageGT
RageGT: I love the combat.

still the worst rational ever
RageGT: I love the combat.

cloud8521: still the worst rational ever
LOL... I was just venting some Rage... it's in my nick, you know... Weird is that while lots of Bioware fans are totally hooked by TW2 and praising the game in BW forums (well, some Biodrones still attack it since it challenged BW as the best RPG devs with an unmatchable product), the kind of complains I read here is the same the biodrones use.

Games don't need to hold my hand, don't need huge quest marks over NPC heads. They need a fully functional Journal as TW2 has where everything I need to know is there, in its many different sections, including the Tutorial.

A friend said: "I actually get a Piranha Bytes-gameplay mixed with Witcher-storytelling and Bioware-cinematics vibe from the game." My 3 favorite devs, it is a win-win game!
The witcher 2 tries to be an action game but it's unfinished, which causes an unbalanced combat system, if only they made a game with the fable combat system where - when you're good at it - you cannot get hit, and 40+ h ( i mention fable just to get an idea, where you can block and roll and hit and stuff without being stuck or waiting for an animation which displays 5 seconds after you pressed the key ( geralt randomnly moving forward/backwards after hitting/ being hit, c'mon y'all that isn't acceptable )) Oh and all the people who say combat is great and stuff, guess you never played ninja gaiden which is not - in fact - a broken action game

I just want this game to be more of an action game, to me, at the moment, it's fkn broken

just my few cents
Coflash: There are obviously degrees of action orientation in RPG's, Gothic 2 being at the low end of the scale while a spam fest like Dragon Age 2 or Mass Effect obviously placing themselves at the opposite side. In fact, any RPG could be considered as being action orientated. There aren't many that don't involve action or combat.
I fail to see how you can put Dragon Age 2 in the same category as Mass Effect, or The Witcher.

DA2 is a pause and play traditional RPG. The only difference between that and DAO is the combat is faster-paced. You just just tell x to attack y then watch them fight, activating special powers as necessary. Just because it is faster does not make it an action RPG.

Now, ME and The Witcher (1 and 2) are clearly action-RPGs, where you directly control your character's attacks and defense through player skills.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with that. I'm loving TW2, and love ME, but let's not compare apples to oranges please.

Itkovian
Wow i just found out that combat is so fun.. There's hidden combo in there with swordsplay. L2P FTW.
Coflash: There are obviously degrees of action orientation in RPG's, Gothic 2 being at the low end of the scale while a spam fest like Dragon Age 2 or Mass Effect obviously placing themselves at the opposite side. In fact, any RPG could be considered as being action orientated. There aren't many that don't involve action or combat.
Itkovian: I fail to see how you can put Dragon Age 2 in the same category as Mass Effect, or The Witcher.

DA2 is a pause and play traditional RPG. The only difference between that and DAO is the combat is faster-paced. You just just tell x to attack y then watch them fight, activating special powers as necessary. Just because it is faster does not make it an action RPG.

Now, ME and The Witcher (1 and 2) are clearly action-RPGs, where you directly control your character's attacks and defense through player skills.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with that. I'm loving TW2, and love ME, but let's not compare apples to oranges please.

Itkovian
its jsut for me it does not feel like you have much way of actually defending. Yarden may be a way to put up a sort of defense. but i prefer a sword to sword block. which is something that garalt is famous for, you might as well just use the sign and screw the ability to parry.

that's part of what i dont like. i still want to use everything but i dont want to be restricted by such a small amount of block allowance.
Currently at chapter 2 playing from the first minute on Hard.

Combat is amazing and very rewarding !

Crowd control is the key at hard dif. Traps, bombs make a diffrence and oils are lifesavers !

Damn after i end witcher 2 i will be sad tht most RPG are boring as fuck compared to witcher 2 combat.

Witcher 2 hard mode is awasome. Health for enemies is the same, your health is way lower and you will need use all things from signs to traps etc.

Damn i love it !

edit:

I die offen on hard but it's veeery veryy rewarding to play on that level.

Nekker mob can obliterate you in seconds. Guerilla taactic all the way !
Post edited May 20, 2011 by Perkel
That said, as for TW2 combat itself, I rather like it.

Yes, it can be frustrating if you cannot handle large groups. It took me a while before realizing using WASD for movement and spacebar to dodge was the best way to do it (instead of double pressing one of the WASD keys), and once you pick up the dodging increase talents things do get better.

It is very different from most other action games of this style, which usually will handle large group battles by having the enemies encircle you and then attack you only one or two at a time, like in martial arts movies. It took some real guts from CDPR to actually make them gang up as they would in reality (more or less). The end result is that being outnumbered is far more dangerous than in most action games, and can be extremely frustrating.

Once you've mastered the art of handling large groups, it does become much simpler. Keep on the move, dodge frequently, move in when you've singled out an opponent, then dodge out when their friends come in.

Use crowd control: Aard or Yrden signs, stunning bombs, wittle down their numbers. Or fire up Quen and move in to quickly land a few blows and dodge out before the protection is stripped away.

Do not hesitate to use potions and oils. Learn to recognize when things will get rough and plan accordingly.

And finally, practice. Practice, Practice, Practice! When I ran into the monastery fight in the prologue, I must have done it 20 times. Not because I couldn't beat it (though it was tough), but rather to just learn to handle such situations. Same thing with the fight against the Baroness' son (I tried to negotiate, then deliberately choose to fight them all to challenge myself and learn how to cope with 3 sword and boards).

And when practicing, try to keep sign usage at a minimum. Just learn to dodge and roll around a lot and single out opponents. Then when you get to the game proper and use those extra protections and traps and bombs, you should be far more effective.

Hope it helps.

Itkovian
Itkovian: That said, as for TW2 combat itself, I rather like it.

Yes, it can be frustrating if you cannot handle large groups. It took me a while before realizing using WASD for movement and spacebar to dodge was the best way to do it (instead of double pressing one of the WASD keys), and once you pick up the dodging increase talents things do get better.

It is very different from most other action games of this style, which usually will handle large group battles by having the enemies encircle you and then attack you only one or two at a time, like in martial arts movies. It took some real guts from CDPR to actually make them gang up as they would in reality (more or less). The end result is that being outnumbered is far more dangerous than in most action games, and can be extremely frustrating.

Once you've mastered the art of handling large groups, it does become much simpler. Keep on the move, dodge frequently, move in when you've singled out an opponent, then dodge out when their friends come in.

Use crowd control: Aard or Yrden signs, stunning bombs, wittle down their numbers. Or fire up Quen and move in to quickly land a few blows and dodge out before the protection is stripped away.

Do not hesitate to use potions and oils. Learn to recognize when things will get rough and plan accordingly.

And finally, practice. Practice, Practice, Practice! When I ran into the monastery fight in the prologue, I must have done it 20 times. Not because I couldn't beat it (though it was tough), but rather to just learn to handle such situations. Same thing with the fight against the Baroness' son (I tried to negotiate, then deliberately choose to fight them all to challenge myself and learn how to cope with 3 sword and boards).

And when practicing, try to keep sign usage at a minimum. Just learn to dodge and roll around a lot and single out opponents. Then when you get to the game proper and use those extra protections and traps and bombs, you should be far more effective.

Hope it helps.

Itkovian
i still want to block.... garalt always said how blocking an strike was important.
cloud8521: i still want to block.... garalt always said how blocking an strike was important.
But you can block, what is the problem?

Indeed, as you learn swordmanship your blocking will get better, cost less, and you can riposte, at which point it becomes very useful (never mind that for defensive enemies, blocking will usually drop their defense).

Just block when you have singled a target or two, instead of when the whole horde falls upon you. Don't hesitate to use those vigor-generating potions as well. If you combine vigor-regen enhancement bonuses from talents with, say, a Tawny Owl, you can almost constantly block attacks, and if not you can easily roll away a bit to regen all your vigor.

Itkovian
cloud8521: i still want to block.... garalt always said how blocking an strike was important.
Itkovian: But you can block, what is the problem?

Indeed, as you learn swordmanship your blocking will get better, cost less, and you can riposte, at which point it becomes very useful (never mind that for defensive enemies, blocking will usually drop their defense).

Just block when you have singled a target or two, instead of when the whole horde falls upon you. Don't hesitate to use those vigor-generating potions as well. If you combine vigor-regen enhancement bonuses from talents with, say, a Tawny Owl, you can almost constantly block attacks, and if not you can easily roll away a bit to regen all your vigor.

Itkovian
it just does not feel like my kind of fun. i like blocking and i hate that i cant use it and signs. it should be its own system at least.
dreamwraith: Witcher 1 was HARDLY as heavy on REFLEXIVE reactions. I don't have great reflexes. I never have. Thats why I don't play games like Modern Warfare, Resident Evil, Demon Souls, Etc Etc.

RPG's, by their very nature, have generally placed the onus on the roll-playing, with combat being a combination of skill and character build. This WAS the case with Witcher 1. The combat in Witcher 2 is so heavily based on my physical ability to respond with quick and accurate reflexes that I am unable to play.

This was not the case with Witcher 1. As I said before, I do understand that some enjoy, and are completely able to handle Witcher 2's combat. However I am not one of them, and It is wholly different from what was experienced with the first game.

I have no problem with them having combat like they do - if they had delivered the easy mode they described before release. The easy mode they delivered is nothing like they described. The pidgeon hole of the OTS camera doesn't help much either.

I am sorry if you feel the need to attack my position because it does not agree with yours. I will continue to agree that you are allowed your position, and even state that they should have made the game as they did - where I will differ is that I will continue to say that 1) they should not have removed the different camera / control options (OTS only is a killer for me) 2) That Easy Mode should actually be... EASY. 3) If they dont want to change easy mode, then add a configurable option for those who are unhappy with the combat to revert to something more akin to witcher 1 controls - or, add an optional pause/que action system if they cant add optional witcher 1 combat.

Those are my requests - and notice that my requests allow you to enjoy the game as you do, and me to enjoy it as i was lead to expect by the various interviews, videos, and pre release press.

I thank you in advance for allowing me to continue to have my feelings and opinions, as I will continue to allow you yours.
My response to the game is pretty much the same as yours. The changes to combat and camera view and lack of pause/play make it unplayable for me. This is not even to mention the awkwardness in the UI and other controls. I probably could fight with the system for hours on end as people say they've done, but life is too short. There is a reason I don't play action games.

And yes, my fault for thinking that even with changes, TW2 would play enough like TW1 to feel like a similar game. I followed TW2 development but not slavishly and just had faith that the games would play similarly. TW1 combat was not perfect but overall enjoyable, and I could get along well enough that I could experience what I really wanted to see- the world and the RP interactions. Not so with the sequel.

It's the second huge disappointment of the year for an RPG sequel. Dragon Age II was playable (mostly) but half a game, dull and had railroaded story choices. But at least I could play the game in order to find this out for myself. I'm afraid unless TW2 gameplay is significantly changed in patches, it might as well have a sucky story and characters, too, because I'll never see them.
dreamwraith: Witcher 1 was HARDLY as heavy on REFLEXIVE reactions. I don't have great reflexes. I never have. Thats why I don't play games like Modern Warfare, Resident Evil, Demon Souls, Etc Etc.

RPG's, by their very nature, have generally placed the onus on the roll-playing, with combat being a combination of skill and character build. This WAS the case with Witcher 1. The combat in Witcher 2 is so heavily based on my physical ability to respond with quick and accurate reflexes that I am unable to play.

This was not the case with Witcher 1. As I said before, I do understand that some enjoy, and are completely able to handle Witcher 2's combat. However I am not one of them, and It is wholly different from what was experienced with the first game.

I have no problem with them having combat like they do - if they had delivered the easy mode they described before release. The easy mode they delivered is nothing like they described. The pidgeon hole of the OTS camera doesn't help much either.

I am sorry if you feel the need to attack my position because it does not agree with yours. I will continue to agree that you are allowed your position, and even state that they should have made the game as they did - where I will differ is that I will continue to say that 1) they should not have removed the different camera / control options (OTS only is a killer for me) 2) That Easy Mode should actually be... EASY. 3) If they dont want to change easy mode, then add a configurable option for those who are unhappy with the combat to revert to something more akin to witcher 1 controls - or, add an optional pause/que action system if they cant add optional witcher 1 combat.

Those are my requests - and notice that my requests allow you to enjoy the game as you do, and me to enjoy it as i was lead to expect by the various interviews, videos, and pre release press.

I thank you in advance for allowing me to continue to have my feelings and opinions, as I will continue to allow you yours.
Addai67: My response to the game is pretty much the same as yours. The changes to combat and camera view and lack of pause/play make it unplayable for me. This is not even to mention the awkwardness in the UI and other controls. I probably could fight with the system for hours on end as people say they've done, but life is too short. There is a reason I don't play action games.

And yes, my fault for thinking that even with changes, TW2 would play enough like TW1 to feel like a similar game. I followed TW2 development but not slavishly and just had faith that the games would play similarly. TW1 combat was not perfect but overall enjoyable, and I could get along well enough that I could experience what I really wanted to see- the world and the RP interactions. Not so with the sequel.

It's the second huge disappointment of the year for an RPG sequel. Dragon Age II was playable (mostly) but half a game, dull and had railroaded story choices. But at least I could play the game in order to find this out for myself. I'm afraid unless TW2 gameplay is significantly changed in patches, it might as well have a sucky story and characters, too, because I'll never see them.
You sir are too opinionated, I think the combat in Witcher 2 is great
Those who sucks at the game please don't ruin the game. You already have the EASY settings. By requesting CDPR changing NORMAL as EASY won't give you +100 Intelligence and make you TWICE as clever.
Post edited May 20, 2011 by archaven