It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

RageGT: Dying sucks! L2P rules!
Haha, the L2P argument in a forum dedicated to a single player game. Will wonders never cease.
The combat doesn't suck. Sure it has some issues, but it is 1 billion times better than the combat in Witcher 1
yesterday: The combat doesn't suck. Sure it has some issues, but it is 1 billion times better than the combat in Witcher 1
agree but with the combat bugs fixed it would be the best gamez evarr11
yesterday: The combat doesn't suck. Sure it has some issues, but it is 1 billion times better than the combat in Witcher 1
kookueb: agree but with the combat bugs fixed it would be the best gamez evarr11
Actually the thing I wish for the most is to be able to sidestep/backstep.

It's silly that you have to turn your back just to take a tiny inch backwards
I am entirely disappointed with the path Witcher 2 has taken.

I understand some people were entirely unhappy with combat in Witcher 1. I was not one of those people. I also understand there is an "easy" mode, described by the dev's themselves as a mode for people who want to focus on the story.

So I immediately chose easy when trying to play. And I immediately was unable to survive battles in any capactiy without being utterly and completely slaughtered by dragon fire and peasant troops.

I also understand that, for ease of development, the devs decided to do away with any and all viewpoints/camera angles - and restricted it to OTS ONLY - with a twitchy, hard to control set up.

I am entirely disappointed with the gameplay and interface changed with the Witcher 2. I know some people love OTS, and some people are perfectly happy with the changes, as thats what they screamed for with Witcher 1.

I however am not one of those people. I was excessively excited to have the first REAL RPG game since Witcher 1. Now my heart is broken, because I am completely unable to enjoy the story and experience due to the immersion breaking of what is almost ENTIRELY an action based combat system.

Witcher 2 has become an ACTION RPG. If I wanted to play an action RPG, I would go play Resident Evil or something.

Signed,

Disappointed and Heartbroken
dreamwraith: I am entirely disappointed with the path Witcher 2 has taken.

I understand some people were entirely unhappy with combat in Witcher 1. I was not one of those people. I also understand there is an "easy" mode, described by the dev's themselves as a mode for people who want to focus on the story.

So I immediately chose easy when trying to play. And I immediately was unable to survive battles in any capactiy without being utterly and completely slaughtered by dragon fire and peasant troops.

I also understand that, for ease of development, the devs decided to do away with any and all viewpoints/camera angles - and restricted it to OTS ONLY - with a twitchy, hard to control set up.

I am entirely disappointed with the gameplay and interface changed with the Witcher 2. I know some people love OTS, and some people are perfectly happy with the changes, as thats what they screamed for with Witcher 1.

I however am not one of those people. I was excessively excited to have the first REAL RPG game since Witcher 1. Now my heart is broken, because I am completely unable to enjoy the story and experience due to the immersion breaking of what is almost ENTIRELY an action based combat system.

Witcher 2 has become an ACTION RPG. If I wanted to play an action RPG, I would go play Resident Evil or something.

Signed,

Well Witcher 1 was an action based RPG as well. It was basically a dumbed down version of the Diablo combat system. Click to attack. And then repeat, again and again and again and again. How on earth can you feel you were misled?

And Gothic I and II are an Action RPGs and still two of the greatest RPGs of all time. Acting as if Action RPGs aren't real RPGs is just plain idiotic
dreamwraith: I am entirely disappointed with the path Witcher 2 has taken.

Signed,

Resident Evil is not an Action RPG. IT is a 3rd person shooter and a Survival Horror game and not an RPG in any way shape or form. It is about as much a RPG as Call of Duty is Simcity.

The Wticher 1 was an ACTION rpg so that 2 is an Action RPG is not really surprising.
yesterday: And Gothic I and II are an Action RPGs and still two of the greatest RPGs of all time. Acting as if Action RPGs aren't real RPGs is just plain idiotic
Making ridiculous comparisons seems more idiotic to me.

There are obviously degrees of action orientation in RPG's, Gothic 2 being at the low end of the scale while a spam fest like Dragon Age 2 or Mass Effect obviously placing themselves at the opposite side. In fact, any RPG could be considered as being action orientated. There aren't many that don't involve action or combat.

The RPG elements are there, but there is no denying it, a LOT of people on various forums have the a common complaint whether you like it or not - and it's that the combat sucks, because it has taken a more linear approach. Defending it till your fingers are blue won't change the fact.

Let me know if you need a more detailed explanation, I'd be more than happy to oblige.
Post edited May 20, 2011 by Coflash
yesterday: And Gothic I and II are an Action RPGs and still two of the greatest RPGs of all time. Acting as if Action RPGs aren't real RPGs is just plain idiotic
Coflash: Making ridiculous comparisons seems more idiotic to me.

There are obviously degrees of action orientation in RPG's, Gothic 2 being at the low end of the scale while a spam fest like Dragon Age 2 or Mass Effect obviously placing themselves at the opposite side. In fact, any RPG could be considered as being action orientated. There aren't many that don't involve action or combat.

The RPG elements are there, but there is no denying it, a LOT of people on various forums have the a common complaint whether you like it or not - and it's that the combat sucks, because it has taken a more linear approach. Defending it till your fingers are blue won't change the fact.

Let me know if you need a more detailed explanation, I'd be more than happy to oblige.
You should oblige yourself by reading the post I was replying to.
Coflash: Making ridiculous comparisons seems more idiotic to me.

yesterday: You should oblige yourself by reading the post I was replying to.
I read the first post and the last three pages, unless you've quickly edited it I see no reason to. What part of what I just posted in relation to what you said are you having trouble with?
Waage83: Resident Evil is not an Action RPG. IT is a 3rd person shooter and a Survival Horror game and not an RPG in any way shape or form. It is about as much a RPG as Call of Duty is Simcity.

The Wticher 1 was an ACTION rpg so that 2 is an Action RPG is not really surprising.
You can make all the semantical arguments you like, but you know full well the point I was trying to make.

Witcher 1 was HARDLY as heavy on REFLEXIVE reactions. I don't have great reflexes. I never have. Thats why I don't play games like Modern Warfare, Resident Evil, Demon Souls, Etc Etc.

RPG's, by their very nature, have generally placed the onus on the roll-playing, with combat being a combination of skill and character build. This WAS the case with Witcher 1. The combat in Witcher 2 is so heavily based on my physical ability to respond with quick and accurate reflexes that I am unable to play.

This was not the case with Witcher 1. As I said before, I do understand that some enjoy, and are completely able to handle Witcher 2's combat. However I am not one of them, and It is wholly different from what was experienced with the first game.

I have no problem with them having combat like they do - if they had delivered the easy mode they described before release. The easy mode they delivered is nothing like they described. The pidgeon hole of the OTS camera doesn't help much either.

I am sorry if you feel the need to attack my position because it does not agree with yours. I will continue to agree that you are allowed your position, and even state that they should have made the game as they did - where I will differ is that I will continue to say that 1) they should not have removed the different camera / control options (OTS only is a killer for me) 2) That Easy Mode should actually be... EASY. 3) If they dont want to change easy mode, then add a configurable option for those who are unhappy with the combat to revert to something more akin to witcher 1 controls - or, add an optional pause/que action system if they cant add optional witcher 1 combat.

Those are my requests - and notice that my requests allow you to enjoy the game as you do, and me to enjoy it as i was lead to expect by the various interviews, videos, and pre release press.

I thank you in advance for allowing me to continue to have my feelings and opinions, as I will continue to allow you yours.
I love it being more of a action game, combat for me always has to be good, it takes player skills to be good at combat unlike the witcher 1.
To all complaining about action: Your freaking fault!
It was know half a year ago that The Witcher 2 WILL be a VERY action-RPG like. It's even somewhat close to a slasher.
Its a great game is all aspects except for balance which, I hope, will be fixed soon.
yesterday: You should oblige yourself by reading the post I was replying to.
Coflash: I read the first post and the last three pages, unless you've quickly edited it I see no reason to. What part of what I just posted in relation to what you said are you having trouble with?
I wasn't replying to the original post.

Try again. If you agree with everything the post I was replying was saying, then you truly are as demented as you come across.
the combat is more than awsome for me. If they can manage the camera so if can always stay behind the character, it would be great.

But this combat system for me is even better than a pure action game.

I am pretty sure with their codes they already have for this game, we will see a lot more improvement in their next games.

Yes, add a few more martials arts, finishing moves. I believe RPG games are taking trend toward action RPGs