It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I’ve got a half-decent pc which goes a little beyond the minimal specs for the witcher 2 (Intel Core 2 Duo processor T9400 (2.53GHz, 6MB L2,1066MHz), 14.1" WXGA+ TFT w/ LED BL, Intel GMA X4500, 4 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 (2 DIMM), 320GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm) and yet it’s so lagging I can’t play it even after lowering the min specs setting (i.e. disabling a couple of options that weren’t) and putting it on super low resolution….

If you get any tip outside upgrading my machine (can’t) that would be great. I’ve been waiting a few months for that and feel a little let down by the min specs recommendation of the studio. I checked and I believe the graphic card is above the minimal requirements too.

IMPORTANT FOR ALL USERS: one thing that really does help is changing Texture Memory Size (MB) to "Very large". Even with that though it's still slow on mine.
gregthedonut: I’ve got a half-decent pc which goes a little beyond the minimal specs for the witcher 2 (Intel Core 2 Duo processor T9400 (2.53GHz, 6MB L2,1066MHz), 14.1" WXGA+ TFT w/ LED BL, Intel GMA X4500, 4 GB PC3-8500 DDR3 (2 DIMM), 320GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm) and yet it’s so lagging I can’t play it even after lowering the min specs setting (i.e. disabling a couple of options that weren’t) and putting it on super low resolution….

If you get any tip outside upgrading my machine (can’t) that would be great. I’ve been waiting a few months for that and feel a little let down by the min specs recommendation of the studio. I checked and I believe the graphic card is above the minimal requirements too.

IMPORTANT FOR ALL USERS: one thing that really does help is changing Texture Memory Size (MB) to "Very large". Even with that though it's still slow on mine.
No, your system is far below the minimum spec, and I'm a bit surprised the game runs at all.

Intel GPUs are not supported, nor can they run most demanding modern games. The minimum spec is an nVidia 8800 GT 512 or equivalent, or an ATI 3850 or equivalent. By no stretch of the imagination can an Intel X4500 be considered equivalent to either. An 8400 GS will leave it eating dust.
Post edited May 17, 2011 by cjrgreen
your pc isn't above the minimum requirements.
Yeah, trying to run this game without a graphics card and relying on Intel is a major no-no for games like this.
Integrated graphics are generally very poor for gaming and a total crap shoot. I don't think any newer high-profile games support them. You need to get a dedicated graphics card.
I see - thanks. Well i guess i should have added the graphic card to my specs when buying this top of the line lenovo laptop 2 years ago....

I'm still surprised though since the graphic card (which I suppose is the issue here since everything else seems above min specs) does have over 1MB available (ok it's sharing the 4MB of ram but it's still over 1mb i reserved for it) and supports Pixel Shader 4.0.
The specs for TW2 only says "512 MB RAM, supporting Pixel Shader 3.0 (Nvidia GeForce 8800 or ATI Radeon HD3850)" So how do you explain that?

the good news is that it indeed does run somewhat - not well enough that i'd want t keep playing it for more than 10-15 min, but enough that it runs!

Unrelated but for those with similar system: the witcher 1 was running really well on it. I just had to apply a tweak I found online to start the game, I think compatibility mode or something.
gregthedonut: I see - thanks. Well i guess i should have added the graphic card to my specs when buying this top of the line lenovo laptop 2 years ago....

I'm still surprised though since the graphic card (which I suppose is the issue here since everything else seems above min specs) does have over 1MB available (ok it's sharing the 4MB of ram but it's still over 1mb i reserved for it) and supports Pixel Shader 4.0.
The specs for TW2 only says "512 MB RAM, supporting Pixel Shader 3.0 (Nvidia GeForce 8800 or ATI Radeon HD3850)" So how do you explain that?

the good news is that it indeed does run somewhat - not well enough that i'd want t keep playing it for more than 10-15 min, but enough that it runs!

Unrelated but for those with similar system: the witcher 1 was running really well on it. I just had to apply a tweak I found online to start the game, I think compatibility mode or something.
Laptops are not for gaming unless its a top of the line GAMING laptop,most laptops dont have gaming graphic cards ETC.
gregthedonut: I see - thanks. Well i guess i should have added the graphic card to my specs when buying this top of the line lenovo laptop 2 years ago....

Ignore the VRAM. It's just not powerful enough. The cards that are powerful enough are mini-supercomputers.

The minimum-spec nVidia 8800 GT has 112 shaders; the minimum-spec ATI 3850 has 320 shaders.

That Intel GMA X4500 has 10 shaders.
Post edited May 17, 2011 by cjrgreen
yes i see your point although i suppose you talk about high-end graphic gaming. You can do lots of great gaming with laptops. As i wrote for example the witcher 1 works great on it.

Simply said i'll have to make-do b/c not everyone can afford a state-of-the-art computer for gaming. Well at least not if you have kids and a mortgage. So i'll be looking for patches and keep trying. I almost got it to a reasonable state this morning by playing with the options and then stopping all services / programs using any ram on my computer LOL

a bit of DYI for the rest of us ;)
btw i don't want to seem unthankful - your explanations makes lots of sense and explained it to me. I thought my laptop was above specs when i first posted that!!!
also just to prove my point that it somewhat runs: i went all the way to the barricades, after climbing the tower etc.
I also tried the part with the dragon, where you have to kill the guards and i think get to the village with the king or something. i got killed everytime. nothing to do with my specs unfortunately, more with my combat skills!!!

Thanks guys!
Post edited May 17, 2011 by gregthedonut