It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Geralt is who he is--which is the advantage and the disadvantage of a fixed-protagonist game. Certain types of depth are achievable precisely because it presents the adventures of a pre-defined character. With Geralt I'd say CD Projekt delivers. His character is interesting enough that I'm content to explore it without grumbling about my lack of options. If you're unable to enjoy it because the only option is to play a somewhat dour heterosexual male, then it's not the game for you, and I'd encourage you to play something you can enjoy more. Or to give serious thought to whether you might be able to learn to enjoy viewing the world through the eyes of someone unlike you.
I know somebody has already said this somewhere in this thread, but I'm gonna say it again:

The day CDPR make ANY gay oriented game, I'll stop buying their games. No-DRM be damn.

We've had enough of that in BioWare.

>Yuck<
No. This thread is ugly, quickly turned into a hate-fest, and thus deserves to die and rot in the obscurity of page 8979070235. Please don't bring it back to life.

*posted while it's still the latest topic in order to not bump
high rated
bhoqeem: I know somebody has already said this somewhere in this thread, but I'm gonna say it again:

The day CDPR make ANY gay oriented game, I'll stop buying their games. No-DRM be damn.

>Yuck<
The Witcher 2 is a WRPG with tons of choices involved. If one of those choices involves you wanting to have gay sex, what would it mean to you, if you don't choose to go that route?

Why the heck would you boycott a company solely because of that? What are you, 12 years old?

I'm sorry for bumping this, but everyone with that mindset deserve to be exposed for the terrible bigots they are.
low rated
bhoqeem: I know somebody has already said this somewhere in this thread, but I'm gonna say it again:

>Yuck<
elektriskejohs: The Witcher 2 is a WRPG with tons of choices involved. If one of those choices involves you wanting to have gay sex, what would it mean to you, if you don't choose to go that route?

Why the heck would you boycott a company solely because of that? What are you, 12 years old?

I'm sorry for bumping this, but everyone with that mindset deserve to be exposed for the terrible bigots they are.
Bigots my ass you fuckin faggot! I'll see you be bashed on the street one of these days. There's a reason homosexuality in whatever forms are not meant to be part of natural things in life, as tons of even so called scientific evidences suggested. You're just justifying your sorry existence as a fag, or otherwise too blind, naive or downright idiot not to see this.

Asshole.
high rated
bhoqeem: Bigots my ass you fuckin faggot! I'll see you be bashed on the street one of these days. There's a reason homosexuality in whatever forms are not meant to be part of natural things in life, as tons of even so called scientific evidences suggested. You're just justifying your sorry existence as a fag, or otherwise too blind, naive or downright idiot not to see this.

Asshole.
First: I'm not homosexual. Not that that changes anything you said, because you're still a terrible bigot. People like you will die out sometime in the near future, and we should all be glad for that.

Second: Why is homosexuality not a natural part of life? You do know that it's been around in humanity as long as we have existed, right? I'd love to see your "scientific" stuff about how it's not a natural part of humans. Hilarious.

Third: You sound angry and frustrated. Take some anger management classes.
>"Bigots my ass you fucking faggot! I'll see you bashed on the street one of these days!"

Hahaha oh God, there really is such a thing as the perfect post. Take it to Stormfront, jesusfreak.

That said, and as has been stated before, The Witcher isn't Mass Effect where your dude is whatever you want him to be, black white transgender and so on. You're playing a character that's already been established in literature and your choices fall within the boundaries of what that established character might choose to do given his personality and worldviews.

Hell, if it were left up to me I would have joined the rest of those freaks on their emperor-killing demolition derby.

NO GODS OR KINGS
ONLY MAN

But that's not something Geralt would ever consider doing so I'm left with clearing my name and stabbing everyone that pisses me off in the face and balls whenever given the choice (sup Stennis).

If you want to be gay, that's great. Point me in the direction of a bill that says you guys should have the right to marry and I'll ballot-stuff that thing so much it'll pass the day after. But don't come on forums and be like oh why is Dante from Dante's Inferno not into dudes too.
No
I had enough of that forced on me in Dragon Age 2, I would understand it if it made sense, but it didn't in that game, nor will it in this one.
I hear its also forced onto Mass effect 3... I wouldn't know since I'm boycotting that game.
Post edited March 15, 2012 by Bratinov
Bratinov: No
I had enough of that forced on me in Dragon Age 2, I would understand it if it made sense, but it didn't in that game, nor will it in this one.
I hear its also forced onto Mass effect 3... I wouldn't know since I'm boycotting that game.
How is it "forced" on you? I've played both games and yes, there are male homosexual love interests, but you have the option to tell them straight up that you're not interested when they bring it up, and that's the end of it. The game in no way forces you to go through a homosexual relationship (and for that matter, they don't force you to go through a heterosexual relationship either).

All that said, I agree with BabelArchitect. Unlike the DA and ME series, the Witcher is based on a pre-existing character from a novel series with clearly defined tastes. Having Geralt suddenly develop an interest in other males would be quite out of character and immersion-breaking, similar to Superman suddenly developing an attraction to Batman. (Although I can't speak for Batman, seeing as how he was hanging out a LOT with teenage boys in his earlier incarnations...)

P.S. I WILL agree that it was extremely odd for Anders to suddenly be bisexual in DA2, however. He gives no indication at all of having a sexual interest in other men in Awakening, and even seems a little repulsed by the idea when talking about it with Oghren.
Bratinov: No
Zaxares: How is it "forced" on you? I've played both games and yes, there are male homosexual love interests, but you have the option to tell them straight up that you're not interested when they bring it up, and that's the end of it. The game in no way forces you to go through a homosexual relationship (and for that matter, they don't force you to go through a heterosexual relationship either).

All that said, I agree with BabelArchitect. Unlike the DA and ME series, the Witcher is based on a pre-existing character from a novel series with clearly defined tastes. Having Geralt suddenly develop an interest in other males would be quite out of character and immersion-breaking, similar to Superman suddenly developing an attraction to Batman. (Although I can't speak for Batman, seeing as how he was hanging out a LOT with teenage boys in his earlier incarnations...)

P.S. I WILL agree that it was extremely odd for Anders to suddenly be bisexual in DA2, however. He gives no indication at all of having a sexual interest in other men in Awakening, and even seems a little repulsed by the idea when talking about it with Oghren.
You answered your own question, Anders as well as (almost) every other character in DA2 was made bi to appeal to as wide an audience as possible, completely disregarding the story and continuity. I wouldn't be surprised if they made Oghren and Alistair bi.
Maybe forced is not the right word, but I find it funny all men hit on you multiple times.
I hear the Mass Effect ending is terrible (hope nothing happens to Tali :P), so I wouldn't put my faith in bioware, their money grabbing ways tend to ruin their own stories.
Post edited March 18, 2012 by Bratinov
Zaxares: How is it "forced" on you? I've played both games and yes, there are male homosexual love interests, but you have the option to tell them straight up that you're not interested when they bring it up, and that's the end of it. The game in no way forces you to go through a homosexual relationship (and for that matter, they don't force you to go through a heterosexual relationship either).

Bratinov: You answered your own question, Anders as well as (almost) every other character in DA2 was made bi to appeal to as wide an audience as possible, completely disregarding the story and continuity. I wouldn't be surprised if they made Oghren and Alistair bi.
Maybe forced is not the right word, but I find it funny all men hit on you multiple times.
I hear the Mass Effect ending is terrible (hope nothing happens to Tali :P), so I wouldn't put my faith in bioware, their money grabbing ways tend to ruin their own stories.
True. I find the fact that there seem to be a lot of bisexual love interests around in the Bioware games to be rather odd, but I can understand why it was done from a technical standpoint. Writing, programming and recording voice-overs for each new character takes an enormous amount of time and money. When you're trying to stick to a hard budget, it's often much easier just to make a single character bisexual so they can appeal to both genders, rather than create two completely separate characters.

ME3 took some steps along the right path by having exclusively homosexual and lesbian love interests, though. I hope it's something Bioware continues to do going forward, rather than having most of their love interests all bisexual.
I have been reading through this thing and I think I got half way through it, though I have noticed that the last post was like 5 months ago. I feel compelled to respond however.

I have seen a lot of people say that they do not want Geralt to be made gay or bi. I am with them there. Like many people in this thread, I feel that Geralt is an established character who should not be changed.

When I played The Witcher 1 there was no gay male character in sight, and while I would have gladly welcomed a gay male side character, I accepted the fact that The Witcher was a franchise that just didn't have gay male representation. Fine. I accepted that fact, and just allowed myself to enjoy the game as it was. And it was indeed a very entertaining, very fun game.

If The WItcher 2 had continued in this vein (as I was actually expecting), I would have been fine with it, because that is just how I saw the series as being. It was established that Geralt was a straight womanizer and no gay males seemed to exist in this entire universe. Fine and good.

*Spoilers Below*

But then something happened in The Witcher 2 that surprised me. CD Projekt RED decided to step OUT of this established norm on their OWN. They chose to add a gay male character to the franchise. The character of Dethmold. They themselves did this. So, *they* themselves have opened this can of worms. So what is Dethmold? A psychotic, depraved douche of a man who keeps male sex slaves that he molests against their wills and who can in the end, get his jewels cut off by an angry and disgusted Roche.

OOOK. Like another poster expressed about themselves, when I saw this, it made me very uncomfortable. Its true that Roche MIGHT not have been disgusted by the man's homosexuality, he was pretty disgusting in other ways, too. Its true that Roche MIGHT not have castrated him because of his sexuality also. But its hard for me to know this for sure. Nothing is clearly outlined in the game that helps me to see this. And cutting someone's jewels off seems to be a punishment for sexual crimes. Granted, the crime may not have been so much because he kept a male sex slave, but just that he kept a sex slave, period, regardless of gender. Castration is an act of physical emasculation. We have a furious, disgusted Roche physically and brutally emasculating an evil homosexual male. It was just a very uncomfortable scene for me regardless of what the actual intent might have been. On the outside, to my eyes, it doesn't look very pro-gay.

So, because of this, because CD Project RED *already themselves* introduced the concept of gay males in this universe, I would love to see a gay male character introduced (someone who is NOT Geralt himself or a love interest for Geralt) who is not some utterly disgusting monster of a person (granted everyone in the game has a dark side, but some are clearly kinder, more heroic and more noble than others), someone that Geralt clearly knows or discovers is gay and yet does not want to kill and is even kind and friendly with in a platonic sense. I don't think this is asking so much. I do not want naked sex scenes between two men, I do not want Geralt to turn gay or bi, I just want some character to be introduced who is a gay male and one of the more noble people that Geralt meets and befriends or at least respects and doesn't despise. That's all.

Some of you may scream:

"NOOO! I am a straight white male in his 50s who makes jokes about gay people and high reps other straight white males in their 50s who make jokes about gay people and I do not want to see gay guys in my game! I do not want it rammed down my throat (he he he he pun intended) and forced on me! If this happens I am not playing another Witcher game and the Polish community will be outraged! P.S. this does not make me a homophobe, it just makes me old, white and despised, he he he!"

But the thing is, its already been introduced into the game and you didn't stop playing the game as a result. It seems to me that you guys are not protesting the introduction of a gay male into the game. It seems to me that instead, you are protesting a positive portrayal of a gay male being introduced into the game. THAT is what you guys do not want. Because I didn't see any of you complaining about Dethmold being gay and declaring "fine, I am not playing this game now!" After all, he was a nasty sicko who got what he deserved. So THAT is ok. You just don't want a new, noble gay character introduced into the series. At least, that is how it appears to be. If I am wrong, then you will not care if CD Projekt RED actually adds some balance to what they have already introduced into the game and its lore. I think you are in luck though. I honestly think that CDProjektRED does want to avoid outraging people like yourselves. I also do not think that they care at all that this character and how he was dispatched by Roche might confuse or concern some players who are gay or gay friendly, so I do not expect a positive portrayal of any male homosexual any time soon in any witcher related game, sadly. Perhaps not in ANY game released by CDProjektRED.

Anyway, again, i STRESS that I agree that Geralt should not be made gay or bi. I also very much agree that CD Projekt RED does not OWE gay people their own content in any game they develop, I want that to be very clear (though I would certainly welcome it and respect them greatly if they had the guts to do it). I was FINE with the lack of homosexual representation in the game. But then they went and decided to go ahead and add a gay male character. Sadly, the character they added was of the "Depraved Homosexual" stripe (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/DepravedHomosexual Dethmold is actually mentioned in the video game section of examples in this article). Once they did this, the situation changed for me. I think it would have been so much better if they had just not introduced any gay male character at all, if the only one they thought that they could bring in was a "Depraved Homosexual". I would have been perfectly happy with no gay male character at all, and I think the White 50 year old Heterosexual Male Oppressed Majority Club would have been happy with it too. Even the ones in Poland.
Post edited August 15, 2012 by DarkZephyr
DarkZephyr: I would love to see a gay male character introduced (someone who is NOT Geralt himself or a love interest for Geralt) who is not some utterly disgusting monster of a person (granted everyone in the game has a dark side, but some are clearly kinder, more heroic and more noble than others), someone that Geralt clearly knows or discovers is gay and yet does not want to kill and is even kind and friendly with in a platonic sense. I don't think this is asking so much. I do not want naked sex scenes between two men, I do not want Geralt to turn gay or bi, I just want some character to be introduced who is a gay male and one of the more noble people that Geralt meets and befriends or at least respects and doesn't despise. That's all.
Well said. :) I think you would be pleased with the portrayal of Steve Cortez (the gay love interest) and Samantha Traynor (the lesbian love interest) in Mass Effect 3. Both, I felt, were characters whom their sexuality was only an aspect of their personality. It was very easy to associate with them on a professional level, and even think of them as friends, even if you yourself were not homosexual. Bioware may have gotten some (well-deserved) flak for a terrible ending in ME3, but I have to respect them for them being one of the pioneers and champions for tolerance and acceptance of alternate sexualities. (They still have a way to go with transgender characters, but that's another story.)

Going back to our friend Geralt, I don't think what you propose would be so out of place either. Geralt's already proven himself to be a fair-minded and tolerant individual considering he has friends among mages, non-human races and even the occasional monster (he once had a vampire friend in the novels!). He's more than capable of seeing past society's prejudice against an individual and treating them for who they are.
DarkZephyr: I would love to see a gay male character introduced (someone who is NOT Geralt himself or a love interest for Geralt) who is not some utterly disgusting monster of a person (granted everyone in the game has a dark side, but some are clearly kinder, more heroic and more noble than others), someone that Geralt clearly knows or discovers is gay and yet does not want to kill and is even kind and friendly with in a platonic sense. I don't think this is asking so much. I do not want naked sex scenes between two men, I do not want Geralt to turn gay or bi, I just want some character to be introduced who is a gay male and one of the more noble people that Geralt meets and befriends or at least respects and doesn't despise. That's all.
Zaxares: Well said. :) I think you would be pleased with the portrayal of Steve Cortez (the gay love interest) and Samantha Traynor (the lesbian love interest) in Mass Effect 3. Both, I felt, were characters whom their sexuality was only an aspect of their personality. It was very easy to associate with them on a professional level, and even think of them as friends, even if you yourself were not homosexual. Bioware may have gotten some (well-deserved) flak for a terrible ending in ME3, but I have to respect them for them being one of the pioneers and champions for tolerance and acceptance of alternate sexualities. (They still have a way to go with transgender characters, but that's another story.)

Going back to our friend Geralt, I don't think what you propose would be so out of place either. Geralt's already proven himself to be a fair-minded and tolerant individual considering he has friends among mages, non-human races and even the occasional monster (he once had a vampire friend in the novels!). He's more than capable of seeing past society's prejudice against an individual and treating them for who they are.
Thank you very much!

And yes, concerning Mass Effect 3, I did love how those two characters were portrayed. Treynor was a great friend to my male sheps, gay and straight and she was a great friend to my female shep that did not romance her. Steve was a great friend to my mansheps and femsheps that did not romance him. It was wonderful. I will admit though that my first gay manshep had eyes only for Kaidan. lol And I do give Bioware props for that, despite the ending (I have to say that I felt a lot better though after I installed the extended cut DLC).

Anyway, thanks for being so understanding. :)
No homosexuals, or I will boycott GOG.

Although I'm confident CDprojektRED would not make a stupid decision like including homosexuality. After all they are based in Poland, a very traditional country.