It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

louiscar: Ok that's fine. Thanks again for the help. I'm going to do a lot of praying.
AudreyWinter: You're welcome.
Wait... confused again... you don't get out yourself alone the first time, but you do the second, because you can use the ladder and find your way trom there - but that's after the second time in there, right?
I got turned around in there a lot too, but there definitely is a way out.
Yes I tried both options with the specter and the second one (get nekker hearts / eyes) means you have to find your way out. I did, just got lost a bit.

However, now I see this quest thing is really an ongoing problem. I get back to Flotsam and take on a very small quest to shut down a shop selling fisstech. Going for the reward ....... yep you guessed it. CTD!!

So this is just going to keep happening till I find out why / what's causing it. It's odd that this little quest is trying to autosave though, maybe it isn't, I can't tell right now.

I have a couple of mods installed. I took them out but it still happens so I'm hoping that they didn't cause an internal problem which sticks.
Post edited June 26, 2011 by louiscar
Hm... always on autosaves... could there be a conflict with user/admin rights?
Did you copy your gamesaves around and by accident the folder go the attribute "write only"? Hm, would probably happen on other saves too, then. But just for fun, purge the folder of attributes - I've seen the weirdest solutions work in a way they weren't supposed to. Unless they were my own problems, of course. ;)

Since noone else seems to have the exact same problem, it's gotta be something specific to your pc. Antivirus? Some other program or proccess, trying to write on the same space at the same time as those autosaves?

Just thinking out loud, but maybe you'll get an idea out of it...
AudreyWinter: Hm... always on autosaves... could there be a conflict with user/admin rights?
Did you copy your gamesaves around and by accident the folder go the attribute "write only"? Hm, would probably happen on other saves too, then. But just for fun, purge the folder of attributes - I've seen the weirdest solutions work in a way they weren't supposed to. Unless they were my own problems, of course. ;)

Since noone else seems to have the exact same problem, it's gotta be something specific to your pc. Antivirus? Some other program or proccess, trying to write on the same space at the same time as those autosaves?

Just thinking out loud, but maybe you'll get an idea out of it...
yeah! I had the same thought although not that logical. As it happens I do run as a limited user for security purposes. It was illogical since the saves are to my documents folder which doesn't need admin rights.

However, yesterday in depsaration I figured I'd set my normal account to administrator just to eliminate it. Good thought of course and it was worth a try. I'll look at the attributes, I already set permissions on the install folder to give all users rights as I coudn't copy some stuff when I was doing the mods.

None of it of course makes sense since autosaves work normally and so do manual. This has one extra element in the condition ie. Quest dialogue+autosave. But the Quest dialogue needs to be narrowed down too since not all quests have done this.

The shop quest I've no idea if it's really trying to do an autosave. If you've done that quest where you shut this shop down perhaps you can look to see if there is an autosave when the woman gives you a reward. If it doesn't autosave then I've got another parameter to consider.

There is one niggling throught about some thread I came across which suggested that Witcher 2 did not like it if you deleted saved files manually. I've been doing that a lot. ie. going to the folder and deleting a bunch of useless saves to keep the file count down (I remember how to many saves slowed down witcher 1). However, in practice this doesn't seem to cause any problem and I've done tests with just one save file in the folder. I wouldn't know how or what to do to fix it if somehow it's got a list of saves and does get upset. I'm getting a lot of the ctds maybe since I started doing that ... who knows, it all started with Einar quest, nothing before that. This is odd too. say it doesn't like non-conscutive numbered files at these times?

Oh, got carried away thinking ... yes no antivirus, have thrown out many processes including catatlyst. I am loath to do anything to graphic drivers or sound since they work really well with this system and all the games I've played on it.

Yes your thoughts are always welcome and appreciated, I kind of need some kind of a kick to stop going around in circles. :-)
Post edited June 26, 2011 by louiscar
louiscar: The shop quest I've no idea if it's really trying to do an autosave. If you've done that quest where you shut this shop down perhaps you can look to see if there is an autosave when the woman gives you a reward. If it doesn't autosave then I've got another parameter to consider.
I think I did it yesterday. And I think it did autosave. I can't be 100% sure, though, because I delete all those autosaves all the time. I try to have few enough saves to not get slowed down and that are not many. I do get crashes, some I think are because of DoF and I also have that ctd on F5 thing regularly - but not 100% like you, so I can live with that.

louiscar: I am loath to do anything to graphic drivers or sound since they work really well with this system and all the games I've played on it.
But you DO have the latest graphic drivers? I dunno about ATI, but Nvidia drivers have already helped some people. You'd have to figure that out about ATI yourself.
louiscar: The shop quest I've no idea if it's really trying to do an autosave. If you've done that quest where you shut this shop down perhaps you can look to see if there is an autosave when the woman gives you a reward. If it doesn't autosave then I've got another parameter to consider.
AudreyWinter: I think I did it yesterday. And I think it did autosave. I can't be 100% sure, though, because I delete all those autosaves all the time. I try to have few enough saves to not get slowed down and that are not many. I do get crashes, some I think are because of DoF and I also have that ctd on F5 thing regularly - but not 100% like you, so I can live with that.

louiscar: I am loath to do anything to graphic drivers or sound since they work really well with this system and all the games I've played on it.
AudreyWinter: But you DO have the latest graphic drivers? I dunno about ATI, but Nvidia drivers have already helped some people. You'd have to figure that out about ATI yourself.
I may very well have to try that too, but I'm trying to do this in a logical manner or whatever, is likely to be the best order.

Right now I have two thoughts. A complete re-install, just in case something got corrupted or I ran a patch twice.
The other thought is remembering that whilst I was installing I had a message that indictated that it has deemed that I need DirectX 09c. As I've already got 9c installed I cancelled this but was a bit baffled.

It may be that their version is a different build and maybe I should let it install that too.
My build is 4.09.0000.0904 I don't know if this is significant but worth a shot.
While I doubt that DirectX messes with saves, it's definitely a good idea to reinstall the game. Disable the antivirus beforehand. You never know what kind of hiccups can happen. I always say yes if they insist on DirectX, because I know that although all versions since a couple years are 9.0c, there might be additional files the game needs and an older version will never overwrite a newer one.
I'm uninstalling now
ooh, this reminds me ...
I couldn't install the game initially (properly) without admin rights, and the patches simply refused to work.
Well I'll be a son of a .....

A re-install worked. I've tested the Claws save and the latest shop quest. All pass ok.

I''m very relieved to see this. Now that I think of it then my recollection that certain quests were ok up until Einar's one, it may be that something corrupted this at some point or perhaps the saves.

This time I installed and allowed Direct x to update. It definitely said '"it has been detected that your directx needs to be updated!".

I'm happy needless to say but I'll keep an eye on the situation. I've also installed the mods and the font I was using to make the text larger and it all still works .. by jove!!

Thanks to all of you for your help and support. I'll contact CDPR and update them.
Yay, I'm glad you can play properly now. :))
AudreyWinter: Yay, I'm glad you can play properly now. :))
:) Me too, at least if something corrupts again I can re-install but let's hope not.
I tend to get these crashes quite often during either transitions of chapters or important cutscenes of main quests.

Doesn't bother me that much because I am an avid F5 spammer (usually quick save every half minute),The thing that pisses me off is the fact that whenever I try to start the game from the launcher,it sometimes doesn't start up again and reset the launcher.This has happened numerous times and I have to retry everytime until my computer decides to start the damned game.
Darkhollow: I tend to get these crashes quite often during either transitions of chapters or important cutscenes of main quests.

Doesn't bother me that much because I am an avid F5 spammer (usually quick save every half minute),The thing that pisses me off is the fact that whenever I try to start the game from the launcher,it sometimes doesn't start up again and reset the launcher.This has happened numerous times and I have to retry everytime until my computer decides to start the damned game.
Then you are lucky you don't cdt on F5, as some people, including me, tend to do. ;) I've learned the hard way to use regular save, if it is REALLY important to keep the progress.

This launcher has been buggy from day one!
Go to ..\The Witcher2\bin and drag a shortcut of witcher2.exe to your desktop (or quickstart). I only use the launcher for changes to the graphic options and close it again. I don't understand why the launcher stays open (and online) all the time, game launchers are supposed to shut down the moment, the game starts. This one doesn't.