It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
Hi all,

We're pleased to announce that we have a MAJOR patch for the Bard's Tale Trilogy ready for release... actually it's out right now!

MAJOR FEATURES
Full language support for French, German, Spanish, Polish and Russian. Right click on the game in your Steam library, select properties, then the Language tab, to select a different language.

All outstanding cameos have been upgraded and added to the game. We've continued to use the BT1 cameos as the default for character creation, but all the relevant cameos from the other two games are there, available for selection. For example:

Our new In-game Bestiary tracks the monsters (per chapter) that you’ve fought, and progressively fills in their stats and details.

The new In-game Manual has all the information you could ever want on how the game works, including information on the differences in Legacy Mode and how the game is different to the original releases.

While we were at it, we’ve also added the Original Game Maps in to the game (and we even fixed the spelling of 'Philippi').

Skara Brae (BT1 version) has received a bit of a make over. Each of the statues now has its own unique model.
New dungeon wall sets for Hiroshima, Berlin, Harkyn’s Castle, mountain and forest areas.
Over 30 new visual effects for combat, and to improve the environments (like new night-time skies).
Controller support for everything other than text-entry. This utilises a radial selection dialog for the various options. It works quite nicely, even if we do say so ourselves.

For more details, check out here:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/843260/announcements/detail/1607141472544730436

We hope you enjoy these additions to the game! Please let us know any problems you see.

Cheers
Linds
Post edited August 13, 2019 by kromeuploads
kromeuploads: Hi all,

We're pleased to announce that we have a MAJOR patch for the Bard's Tale Trilogy ready for release... actually it's out right now!

MAJOR FEATURES
Full language support for French, German, Spanish, Polish and Russian. Right click on the game in your Steam library, select properties, then the Language tab, to select a different language.

All outstanding cameos have been upgraded and added to the game. We've continued to use the BT1 cameos as the default for character creation, but all the relevant cameos from the other two games are there, available for selection. For example:

Our new In-game Bestiary tracks the monsters (per chapter) that you’ve fought, and progressively fills in their stats and details.

The new In-game Manual has all the information you could ever want on how the game works, including information on the differences in Legacy Mode and how the game is different to the original releases.

While we were at it, we’ve also added the Original Game Maps in to the game (and we even fixed the spelling of 'Philippi').

Skara Brae (BT1 version) has received a bit of a make over. Each of the statues now has its own unique model.
New dungeon wall sets for Hiroshima, Berlin, Harkyn’s Castle, mountain and forest areas.
Over 30 new visual effects for combat, and to improve the environments (like new night-time skies).
Controller support for everything other than text-entry. This utilises a radial selection dialog for the various options. It works quite nicely, even if we do say so ourselves.

For more details, check out here:

https://steamcommunity.com/games/843260/announcements/detail/1607141472544730436

We hope you enjoy these additions to the game! Please let us know any problems you see.

Cheers
Linds
Thank you for update. I noticed that due to settings of my OS, game is now in my native language. Do you, by any chance, know how to change it to English?

I changed Registry value "language" from "neutral" to "english" but the game still starts in my native language.
Post edited August 27, 2019 by Sulibor

Thank you for update. I noticed that due to settings of my OS, game is now in my native language. Do you, by any chance, know how to change it to English?
Ditto.
My turn to third this! I wanted to give it a try, but now it's in French and I see no option to choose the language in-game; in GOG Galaxy there seems to be an option but it's greyed out. Please do something about this!

Edit: as Dareios_19 justly said, thanks for the update, and no criticism upon the translation's quality; I just prefer to play games in english (and frankly I hate it when software decides on its own what's "best" for me :) ; just give us the option to choose the language).
Post edited August 14, 2019 by K.S.S
I second that. ... but firstly thanks for the excellent update.
However I also need to urgently switch the GOG version from native language to English.
Already had a look at the registry or possible command line options - no luck. In case there's no advice from
inxile I gonna try change the regional setting of Windows, but I want to avoid this further to other apps' dependencies
on this.

Don't get me wrong , the translation as such seems to be of great quality, however this game has been since the 80s
played, discussed , mapped , solved and reviewed in English.

Furthermore, like with other games it can be disputed to what extent software should be translated, with regard to BTT to my view eg character classes or abreviations (eg SP Spellpoints) should be left as they are.
Some of these expressions are nowdays common practice and even in local languages used more often than any artificial translation, Hit points is a good example for this.
I recall some early MS Office versions had their VBA programming language commands translated - devastating attempt.

Perfect example is the four magical classes in BT1 and their translations, well chosen but not intuitive whwn translating back ("hmm is XY a conjurer or a magician).
Post edited August 14, 2019 by Dareios_19
Hi All,

I bought the BTT one week ago with Version 3.29.
I played it in English now for 1 week, almost finishing BT1 and it was really great.
It was bringing me back to my teenager memories, and felt like a perfect remaster of the originals.

Since the last update of BTT to version 4.28 I got the game only in my native language German.
The translation is really horribel for one like me, who played the Original BT1 in 1985 on the C64.
It is destroying the complete feeling from the past.

I cannot find any way to change the language back to English.

PLEASE IS THERE ANYONE OUT WHO CAN HELP!

Thanks a lot in advanve.

Kind regards

Peter (BT Fan from the first hour)

Update: I solved the problem. I bought the Steam version and will go on there with BTT. You can change the language settings there really easy to get back to the original english Bard's tale text.
I'll uninstall the GOG version and also GOG Galaxy. It cannot be that a game is completle changed throug a update, and you have no choice to choose and get back to the same game as it was before. In my point of view is the german version only for people, which never played BT befor.
Post edited August 15, 2019 by tcr666
I like this update but I'm also missing an option to switch the german translation back to english. There must be a way because the change log mentions it for the steam version.
„Right click on the game in your Steam library, select properties, then the Language tab, to select a different language.“

Because I couldn't find anything for the GOG version I wrote a tiny patch tool and now it's english again :-) .
Attachments:
picture.png (10 Kb)
J_o_e_r_n: I like this update but I'm also missing an option to switch the german translation back to english. There must be a way because the change log mentions it for the steam version.
„Right click on the game in your Steam library, select properties, then the Language tab, to select a different language.“

Because I couldn't find anything for the GOG version I wrote a tiny patch tool and now it's english again :-) .
is there any possibility that you could share/attach this tool - would be much appreciated. Tried to find out myself but no clue where the two strings are which need to be changed.

thanks
Dareios_19: is there any possibility that you could share/attach this tool - would be much appreciated. Tried to find out myself but no clue where the two strings are which need to be changed.
If one is brave and desperate enough to try it ==> https://www.retro-programming.de/download/bt-language-switcher/
Windows with .NET 3.5 is needed.

Btw.: The tool is changing over 7000 entries.
Dareios_19: is there any possibility that you could share/attach this tool - would be much appreciated. Tried to find out myself but no clue where the two strings are which need to be changed.
J_o_e_r_n: If one is brave and desperate enough to try it ==> https://www.retro-programming.de/download/bt-language-switcher/
Windows with .NET 3.5 is needed.

Btw.: The tool is changing over 7000 entries.
many thanks, did a binary diff and now I understand the logic , it's not two locations as a "setting" in the file changed but you swap throughout the file , excellent. thanks for this
Thanks a lot, J_o_e_r_n ; this will do nicely until Krome fixes this problem!
Post edited August 21, 2019 by K.S.S
Thanks, J_o_e_r_n!
Works like a charm.
Hello all,
I played Bard's Tale 2 and am in the Destiny Stone Level 3. The update surprised me and now the interface is in German. The answer to question of one of the magic mouthes seem to be mistranslated. I know the answer but it is not accepted either in English nor in German. How do I proceed from here?

Any help is appreciated. (How do I change the interface back to English would be very helpfull)

Paul
paul.r.mueller: Hello all,
I played Bard's Tale 2 and am in the Destiny Stone Level 3. The update surprised me and now the interface is in German. The answer to question of one of the magic mouthes seem to be mistranslated. I know the answer but it is not accepted either in English nor in German. How do I proceed from here?

Any help is appreciated. (How do I change the interface back to English would be very helpfull)
Hi,
if you tell me the english answer perhaps I can look up the german translation or you can use my patch (post 9).
Hi,
Thanks for the offer. As a last resort we tried google translate and it worked sort of. The very last question mustn't be translated because it is a proper name. Took us two times to find out, uuuf!
Greetings
Paul
Hello,

There seems to be a little bug in the German version. When in a fight and you type "W" for Weglaufen (Run Away) then you run away and make a step forward too if there is no obstacle like a wall or so. This bug is bothersome when you have a fight before a trap or a spellpoint drain as you will enter that field and suffer the consequences.

Paul
Post edited August 17, 2019 by paul.r.mueller