The only movements you need to make in area A are to go for the exit gate, so what worked for me (minimising movement) was:
• Walk slowly and minimise movement
• Disable the droid (ALT-D)
• Exit the cell
• Enter the next cell on the left.
• Get and unroll barbed wire.
• Exit cell, turn left, go to the end
• Turn left and proceed.
• Locate exit gate at the end on the right
• Use the barbed wire to get the key
• Open the gate
Don’t turn left at the exit gate – nothing there and increases risk of crash.
Also I noted:
• Confirmed software rendering doesn’t work with the GOG release.
• Keeping away from the walls didn’t seem to help me.
• Turning left or right seemed to crash equally.
• ”blipping” the left/right keys rather than holding them down still caused a crash.